When the tech sees it happen and the manufacturer is in denial

All compressors have what the manufacturer calls a "run-in" period. I assume that is when mating surfaces find their proper place together.

What nobody talks about is the metallic debris that occurs from this process. My observations with scroll compressors indicates significant debris.. perhaps because of the large steel-to-steel surface area.

The Trax-oil control that I see most often with scrolls has a scavenging magnet on its outlet that literally fuzzes up with metalic debris.

I see this metallic debris causing oil feed failures in the larger horsepower scrolls, due to the float device not working properly. But nobody is talking about it. Am I alone?

Re: When the tech sees it happen and the manufacturer is in denial

ever looked in the stargate panel of a McQuay frame 2 screw compressor? That will really frighten you!!

Re: When the tech sees it happen and the manufacturer is in denial

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I see this metallic debris causing oil feed failures in the larger horsepower scrolls, due to the float device not working properly. But nobody is talking about it. Am I alone?

I don't see what the issue is. That is why commisioning is done.
    If commisioning is done properly then after the initial run in period then filters, dryers and things like oil magnets should be changed or cleaned.

taz.