elmdas Guest

Question BP spill & Mini-split demand/market

Hello All,
    There are a lot of residences in the northeast using hydronic heat, so given the BP disaster and ongoing oil situation, why shouldn't these folks be a prime market for mini-splits? I'm thinking about getting back into installing these systems. Folks are getting old, need air conditioning, they have no ductwork currently, and need a localized backup heat source.

Anyway, I've not done refrigeration work since the mid 90's using R22, and I need to upgrade my stuff, so I'm thinking about a YellowJacket 69080 vac gauge, and a yellowjacket BruteII model 46013 to replace/upgrade my gauges. Would anyone care to comment on if the 4 hose manifold is worth the extra money, or if it's actually that practical to use? I'm thinking about using that 4th hose just for the vacuum pump and gauge, but will the line collapse? I used to use a copper vacuum line, but mabye there's a new better way.

Also, I'm wondering what I'm getting into with the mini-splits, do they have proper schraeder valved service ports already installed, or does the installer have to braze them in? At least my torch still works.
    Thanks,
    John B.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: BP spill & Mini-split demand/market

3/8" vac hoses do not collapse.

Splits have access ports pre-fitted.

New gases, R410a, run at higher pressures than you are used to, get gauges/manifolds suitable.

Upgrade your nitrogen gauge, test pressures could be up to 40 bar, 580psig.

Torque spanners required for flare nuts.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I'd say the 4 port gauge is worth the extra spondolicks.
    Had to hand mine back when changing company and noticed the 4 port easier to use with less hose swapping.

Don't forget when vaccing out you can connect the yellow line to the bottle and vac that out as well to save purging the line.

Splits over here are pre-charged and have a schrader built on to the suction service valve - kind of like a rotalock. Bigger units have one on the liquid valve also. Most will have a schrader on the discharge inside the unit as well, but don't count on it. Wanted to check one today (on a Sanyo) and there wasn't one!
    Last edited by Tayters; 15-06-2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

helenk579 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elmdas View Post
    Hello All,
    There are a lot of residences in the northeast using hydronic heat, so given the BP disaster and ongoing oil situation, why shouldn't these folks be a prime market for mini-splits? I'm thinking about getting back into installing these systems. Folks are getting old, need air conditioning, they have no ductwork currently, and need a localized backup heat source.

Anyway, I've not done refrigeration work since the mid 90's using R22, and I need to upgrade my stuff, so I'm thinking about a YellowJacket 69080 vac gauge, and a yellowjacket BruteII model 46013 to replace/upgrade my gauges. Would anyone care to comment on if the 4 hose manifold is worth the extra money, or if it's actually that practical to use? I'm thinking about using that 4th hose just for the vacuum pump and gauge, but will the line collapse? I used to use a copper vacuum line, but mabye there's a new better way.

Also, I'm wondering what I'm getting into with the mini-splits, do they have proper schraeder valved service ports already installed, or does the installer have to braze them in? At least my torch still works.
    Thanks,
    John B.
    I also think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    3/8" vac hoses do not collapse.

Splits have access ports pre-fitted.

New gases, R410a, run at higher pressures than you are used to, get gauges/manifolds suitable.

Upgrade your nitrogen gauge, test pressures could be up to 40 bar, 580psig.

Torque spanners required for flare nuts.
    think your a wee bit out with the nitrogen gauge,mitsi electric recommend doin a strength test to 600psi for 20 mins..correct me if i,m wrong

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by aircool View Post
    think your a wee bit out with the nitrogen gauge,mitsi electric recommend doin a strength test to 600psi for 20 mins..correct me if i,m wrong
    Aw, what's 20psi between friends?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015