Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

RoBearBam is correct....the desire to increase speed is either for gaming....or solely for bragging rights from having the highest scores in benchmarks. Overclocking your machine won't make you browse the web any faster....or type in word processors any more effectively.

Consider why people try improve power and traction in their cars...solely so they can drag race faster. Few real world benefits....but it's the challenge.

Shane Rupe:
    Nope I didn't, but I wouldn't feel comfortable charging a cars a/c system with propane.Cars also have a fuel tank, and that is just as explosive.
    If you get an engine fire and have an a/c system charged with propane, well, that wouldn't be pretty.

The reason I overclock is mainly for the challenge of cooling the cpu to the lowest temps possible.I also get alot of added system performance along with the challenge of cooling

some people who want more power might have a 1977 cadillac coupe deville that tips the scales at nearly 6000lbs (18.5' long car) with a 425v8 that only does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds...

Im slowly putting together a "cyro cooler" as you could call it. Its parts from an old R12 fridge that works fine but looks like crap. "one mans trash is another mans treasure". Ill be replacing the refridgerant with a 5$ can of pure propane from good ole wall-fart. and if i mess up on something, its not a big money loss.

I can get R22 for 7$/lbs but the problem is the local place only deals with walk in type freezers, and when they tap a 30lb tank you buy the whole thing. 200 and something dollars worth of refridgerant.
    one mans trash is another mans treasure

R22 goes for a little under $50 for a 30 pounder
    John K.

not for me. I would also need an EPA license/certificate to keep the leftovers of the 30lb tank. I need a low temperature cooler, and My R22 airconditioner, with NO load on the evaporator gets down to 20 degrees. Propane is a better and cheaper choice for me.
    one mans trash is another mans treasure

Re: An A/C system for my computer case... can it be done ?

Hi,
    Try a panel cooler. There are many suppliers - one can be found at: www.heatexchangerinfo.com

Good luck

Hemant

Go to www.overclockers.com or www.microcenter.com .

Microcenter has computers already made with everything you could dream of. The computer is blue, and has an external condenser unit that's pleasing to the eye, and works great.

Good Luck!

Zolar

PS Look into a Peltier Cooler while you're at it.

abcdefg Guest

I had some peltiers on an older P3 celeron. The thing died before I even got going with it, im not sure why. I had coated the underside of where the cpu mounts with some silicon insulation, and grease on the cpu pins.

Once I was lazy, and modded a full tower case to hook up to the outputs on an 8,000btu window unit that I set on a table. Put some insulation in the case, insulated flexible ducting, it cooled the case down fairly cold. This would eliminate most of the problems that cause condensation, it would seem.

I was thinking the other day. Why not do this, but to a rackmount chassis? With some good insulation, low noise squirrel fans, and put the exhaust ductings to face a room window? Its about 45F outside, im wearings shorts and a T shirt and sweating like a pig in here. And I only have two gaming computers, nothing else. Window is open too.

It wouldnt be the cheapest or the most space efficent method, but it could be a lot better if you are doing more than one or two computers at a time.

Just another idea of mine.

I was thinking the other day. Why not do this, but to a rackmount chassis? With some good insulation, low noise squirrel fans, and put the exhaust ductings to face a room window?
    This is a similar method to how we cool racks in commercial server rooms.
    Raise the racks up from the sub-floor with a ventilated space below and force cool air into the space. The cool air then passes through the racks picking up the waste heat and is ejected from the top of the racks into the room. The indoor unit then draws the warmed air into the filters and the process starts all over again.

Been like this for donkey's years. It's called downflow configuration.

This is a similar method to how we cool racks in commercial server rooms.
    Raise the racks up from the sub-floor with a ventilated space below and force cool air into the space. The cool air then passes through the racks picking up the waste heat and is ejected from the top of the racks into the room. The indoor unit then draws the warmed air into the filters and the process starts all over again.
    We service a few of those, works even better when they dont leave the access boards on the sub floor off.
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

i happened to catch this. i dont know if this has been mentioned. didnt read all 159 post. but these work very well. just run it through a small heat exchanger stuck in a frig.
    http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=WB

Easy Way:-

Buy a small fridge - choose carefull and drill a hole through the side approx 30 mm. You have to avoid the pipes.

Put your pc base unit in it and throught the hole connect it up.

Turn on the fridge and allow to cool then fire up your PC.

Small fridge - Circa £40.

Hole - Nil if you already have the tools.

You can stilk your and your childrens drawing on the fridge as well.

Watch the magnets near floppy and hard disks.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Paulajayne
    Easy Way:-

Buy a small fridge - choose carefull and drill a hole through the side approx 30 mm. You have to avoid the pipes.

Put your pc base unit in it and throught the hole connect it up.

Turn on the fridge and allow to cool then fire up your PC.

You can stilk your and your childrens drawing on the fridge as well.

Watch the magnets near floppy and hard disks.

Paula
    Yes, what you haven't anticipated is that once the computer is started it will generate heat & because of the miniscule cooling capacity of a domestic fridge it won't have a hope in hell's chance of bringing that space temperature down again. And because you've now got the tower in an insulated enclosed space there's nowhere for the heat to escape & so it will just get hotter & hotter until you get terminal meltdown.
    Last edited by phil68; 15-03-2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Noah had to leave the dinosaurs behind as they would've sunk the boat.

Go to switch on and realise that some idiot has swapped the tower for 3 crates of beer - priceless

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by phil68
    Yes, what you haven't anticipated is that once the computer is started it will generate heat & because of the miniscule cooling capacity of a domestic fridge it won't have a hope in hell's chance of bringing that space temperature down again. And because you've now got the tower in an insulated enclosed space there's nowhere for the heat to escape & so it will just get hotter & hotter until you get terminal meltdown.

Phil - it was a joke

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Paulajayne
    Phil - it was a joke

Paula
    I knew that, ahem. Bugger, what am I going to do with this fridge that I've now cut a hole in the side of?
    Noah had to leave the dinosaurs behind as they would've sunk the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by phil68
    I knew that, ahem. Bugger, what am I going to do with this fridge that I've now cut a hole in the side of?
    Make the hole bigger and you have a nesting box for penguins ?

Paula
    Last edited by Paulajayne; 17-03-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Why not just use something like this which has been designed for pc's and will cost a damn sight less
    http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=19756
    There's no such word as 'can't' in this game

where is the fun in buying something like that wheN you could build something that gets 20 times colder..?

ChrisKlinger Guest

There was an article several months ago, I believe in the WS Journal, about the importance manufacturers are giving to silencing their PCs. In it was mentioned a fellow who placed his entire motherboard submerged in transformer oil. Complete silence, excellent thermal stability and, if you added a small radiator and fan, I would imagine near perfect cooling. Plumbing a radiator to draw from the bottom and return to the top level of oil (obviously not allowing air into the tubes), convection would circulate the oil well enough, I would imagine, without needing a pump. That's how the power company's transformers are cooled, so why not on a small scale? No styrofoam. No compressors. No refrigerants. No increase in energy consumption. No added noise. And possibly best of all, no refrigeration engineer required (they dont seem to be quite as amiable as computer techs and aviation people. Quiet and very effective. Of course, probably messy when you want to add memory or a card...

Thumbs up Re: An A/C system for my computer case... can it be done ?

Quote Originally Posted by electro
    I've been wondering lately, I have quite a new PC with a high spec, but the problem is, the faster the component's and CPU's that go into PC's and motherboards - the more heat they chuck out.

I was thinking, Is it possible to find a working fridge, and disassamble it, and using the parts to make an A/C system for my PC's case, my main questions are:

1) Is it easy to connect all the components and copper tubing?
    2) Is it a safe thing to do, IE, fire risks? electrocution?
    3) How easy is to 'gas-up' the system? (I need a friend who is a refrigeration engineer...)

I visited the tip a few weeks ago, and there was what looked like a compressor/fan/radiator unit there, painted black, looked nice...
    I only wished I got it now!
    What are the chances of finding a working compressor, for free, or very cheap?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

PS, this was posted in the refigeration section, but I just noticed that there was a A/C section, lol, sorry about that!

Hi Mate. There is a web site/ forum designated to just that. Watercooling cpu overclocking etc etc. I joined a couple yrs back thinking it was a refrigeration forum. There are some very clui nerds that would be more than happy to help.

http://www.xtremeresources.com

Good luk mate

sk8ter646 Guest

can i say i do this stuff as a hobby and it is easy to do

you have 2 choices either buy a premade kit for £500 or have some fun and build your self one

go to

http://www.phase-change.com

pocketbikeuk Guest

checkout http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=80 you can speak to the world famous chilly1 he can help you or as can any of the other members there is hundreeed of home made systems built every week by users of this forum

By far the easiest way to get into the refrigeration game for pcs is to setup standard watercooling for the processor, video and northbridge, then cool the loop via an external chiller. You can find a chiller assembly from a number of sources, and might be able to scrounge something that won't even require assembling anything yourself.

Most computer people have no problem tearing down a computer and building it from scratch. Most HVAC guys have no problem doing the same with a cooling system. There's a fair bit of learning involved in being able to do both. If you're interested - the websites previously mentioned have some really hardcore people who can definately assist.

[I]Assuming this is still an active thread to the OP...and at the risk of pissing the wrong person off for linking to another forum, there are detailed plans, images and step by step instructions for doing this on a forum dedicated to the topic...I personally have no interest at all in the topic so I don't know if you have to register to use the forum or not. I have ran across several of their publications during trade searches on various search engines. It appears as though the most specific forum addressing this is the 3rd down after you arrive at the site.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

If I am stepping out of established bounds listing this link, please advise and remove. Otherwise hope it is helpful.
    Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.

Minor correction on that last post, after you get to the forums site, scroll through the entire forum list...lots of discussion on vapor, liquid, dry ice cooling applications
    Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.

Waddah Guest

Post Re: An A/C system for my computer case... can it be done ?

i know that for sever panel there is an option to be delivered with A/C Units.
    But one year ago i heared about smiconductors which spplied by DC Current and it could provide cooling at one side and heating on other side. it is fantastice way to make cooling to the Microprocesor of the pc.
    If any have more information i am interesting to know

You're talking about a TEC, or thermoelectric cooler. For the purposes of cooling a pc I wouldn't recommend them. Not only does it take a lot of power (you require a TEC with 50% more power than your processor emits) but you then need a method of cooling the warm side of the TEC that will need to remove 150% of the processor output.

Phase-change refrigeration is much more efficient if low temps are your goal.

Actually, TECs are commonly used for cooling CPU's - typically employed by hobbist overclockers. I beleive often a heat sink and fan are attached to cool the "hot" side of the TEC.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=94

Between my Tower and TV set, I am able to heat my modest living room! LOL

Maybe HP81 and an R22 Window A/C compressor could cool sufficiently with one of the units?

Or get the water cooler system, and put the heat dissipating tower inside a refrigerator?

A heatsink and fan aren't able to transfer enough energy to handle a modern CPU...watercooling is about the only option. I didn't suggest that people don't do it....but that based on my experience doing it in the past - that it's not as good an option as people think.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy
    Actually, TECs are commonly used for cooling CPU's - typically employed by hobbist overclockers. I beleive often a heat sink and fan are attached to cool the "hot" side of the TEC.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=94

Don't over complicate, you only need to give some cooling and not refrigerate your PC. If you over cool this can cause condensation or high humidity which you know can cause its own problems. As already touched on PC's are designed to work at normal room temperature, but the failure rate of any one component will double for every 2deg C of increase in temperature.
    A portable air conditioner blowing on your computer should be suffient. Something like units on www.airconditionershack.co.uk or other similar sites search for mobile air conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Harvey
    Don't over complicate, you only need to give some cooling and not refrigerate your PC. If you over cool this can cause condensation or high humidity which you know can cause its own problems. As already touched on PC's are designed to work at normal room temperature, but the failure rate of any one component will double for every 2deg C of increase in temperature.
    A portable air conditioner blowing on your computer should be suffient. Something like units on www.airconditionershack.co.uk or other similar sites search for mobile air conditioner.

but this isnt something that you do to a day to day pc (although you can and many do) but mainly aimed and derived from the benchmarking community, where every Mhz is important.

there is not doubt that cpus can go faster at low tempertaures, by the very nature silcone.

and with althings in life, want ten years ago was 'extreme' and world record breaking is now realitively common place.

personly this is my original reason to getting into refrigeration, the purpose of world records. and i dont use compressor cooling for day to day computing. (not for any of the reasons you mentioned). just the compressor fcuked with wireless signal

sry ofr the spelling, little drunk.

targ

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but the guy who posted the original thread requesting info on how to cool his PC hasn't posted anything since August 2001. So whilst everyone else is trying to find a way for him to run his processor at 2GHZ, he's probably allready bought one and now running at 4GHZ.!!!

as has been mentioned before, extra efficient cooling of a domestic computer must create condensation, which is fatal to the motherboard of a computer.
    CHILL out with Manchester United

KaiserSoze Guest

Hello!

There are some very experienced and knowledgeable engineers and service personnel is these forums; great place to learn some things.

I too am a computer performance enthusiast. So far most of the replies from the experts have seemed focused on questioning the usefullness of cooling a computer system; i.e. "computer are designed for ambient cooling"

For computer geeks like me, pushing the edge of performance is for some reason fun. If a computer or CPU Overclocker has actually made it to this forum, you can bet the know as much about computers as the experts here know about refrigeration systems and cooling applications.

If someone comes here seeking some expert opinion, maybe the engineers here could just keep an open mind think about a creative solution instead of dismissing the idea out of hand.

Many of the posts by the experts here in regards to computer cooling and its possibilities are flat wrong.

Overclockers are no different than hobbiest that customize their cars, motorcycles, etc. For computers heat is a problem and cooling is the solution.

There are in fact commercially available applications like this available and some engineer had the creativity and vision to implement this.

See this CPU Phase Change cooling system. It is a proprietary hermetic system that uses Danfoss compressors and R404A. But its expensive.

And a how to build your own Phase Change System here.

Lots of overclockers would like to learn more about applications that are less expensive.

Perhaps some of your experts could entertain some valuable discussions about your field of expertise and impart some knowledge to some hobbyists that could benefit from your experience and training.

Nothing wrong with people having fun and learning in the process.

~KS~

Quote Originally Posted by electro
    I've been wondering lately, I have quite a new PC with a high spec, but the problem is, the faster the component's and CPU's that go into PC's and motherboards - the more heat they chuck out.

I was thinking, Is it possible to find a working fridge, and disassamble it, and using the parts to make an A/C system for my PC's case, my main questions are:

1) Is it easy to connect all the components and copper tubing?
    2) Is it a safe thing to do, IE, fire risks? electrocution?
    3) How easy is to 'gas-up' the system? (I need a friend who is a refrigeration engineer...)

I visited the tip a few weeks ago, and there was what looked like a compressor/fan/radiator unit there, painted black, looked nice...
    I only wished I got it now!
    What are the chances of finding a working compressor, for free, or very cheap?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

PS, this was posted in the refigeration section, but I just noticed that there was a A/C section, lol, sorry about that!
    hi dave

being an a/c engineer and building my own pc's for some time now i thought the same as you why not fit a/c to my pc

looked into all the options of constructing a a/c system to fit in or on a pc tower case and then during my testing of heat loads on towers that had been modified i found the simple answer.

as you increase components or speed of components there is an increase in current required from the power supply unit and this causes the psu to run at nearer its limit, creating most of the haet, so the simple answer was not to try and cool the tower but to use an oversize psu.

a psu that is running well below its spec can easily deal with the heat it creates and as the fan is larger or runs faster than a smaller psu the whole tower temperature drops dramatically.

try a larger psu its much cheaper and safer than trying to fit an a/c system, the main problem i found with a/c was moisture, this could quite easily cause unwanted electrical paths in your pc and fry the components.

all the best Chillerman2006

Cooling of the entire case is very difficult an usually results in prblems, but can be done.

but what is much easier is the use of Direct Die (DD) or Chilled watewr (chiller) cooling.

DD, alows you to cool one (maybe 2) parts of your pc, typically CPU and GPU, to the range of -20C to -50C and enable medium to high overclocks.

Chillers allow the cooling of many parts of the computer, using water cooling equimpent, to the range of 0C to -30C. such as CPU, GPU, NorthBridge, SouthBrgide, any other chip you want to.

but cooling the entire case is only a sensible idea if you are using something like Liquid Nitrogen on the CPU and GPU, and the cooling is just to reduce the chance of condensation,

targ

(drunk so excuse anything that doesnt make sence)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfridge
    as has been mentioned before, extra efficient cooling of a domestic computer must create condensation, which is fatal to the motherboard of a computer.

Im not sure about this prticualar post, but it is a serious issue in this type of cooling.

but there is a lot of people involved in this "hobby" and many of them have a good knowledge of what is happing if this, and therefore the probelm has been well thoughtout and solutions have been found.

targ

(still drunk so if it doesnt make sence then )

OMFG this thread is still running! :O

Hello everyone

Maybe someday I'll get a/c in my room, working with computers in here, its me thats overheating these days, not the computers

there are new regulations coming in to force with regards to obtaining, charging and recovering refrigerants and it will be illeagal for anyone to buy or sell or use any 'gas' without having full certification of handling refrigrants. by the way they can cause severe burns to the skin and eyes and can cause asphixyation (suffocation) as well as the r6oo series being explosive and dont even go near nh3. like the idea though. you could always look into getting a room a/c system fitted

scoobydoo6v92 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Let me rephrase my answers, then.

Is it easy to connect refrigeration components? Yes, if you know how. No, if you don't.

Is it safe? Yes, if you know how. No, if you don't.

Is it easy to "gas up" a system? Yes, if you know how. No, if you don't.

Every profession you can think of is easy for those who know what they are doing.

You seem to think repairing a fridge is easy. Try it. Remove all of the components, and then put them all back together.

Then call someone who has sufficient training and experience to make it look easy, and who will charge you accordingly.
    That is true,,, But I would have someone who knows what they are doing to do the hard part of this idea which I am going to do with my dual core rack server, the fans are driving my insane!!!!! Coolance is another water cooled company, How about a water cooled affair and aquire a remote chiller from a beverage company and pipe in cooled water. Try to leave the refer stuff together. If you want to learn the ins and outs of the business, have a pro evacuate the system charge the system and solder it after you assemble it. The only way to learn is to grab the bul by the horns and drag it kicking and screaming to the ground!! T,

Swiftech is the best IMO can't go wrong with them. MCW6002 water block coupled to a 6,000BTU chiller with a 20 plate Exchanger and a good Iwaki and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by electro View Post
    OMFG this thread is still running! :O

Hello everyone

Maybe someday I'll get a/c in my room, working with computers in here, its me thats overheating these days, not the computers
    Haha the thread is back alive, do I get an award for the longest running thread? hehe, keep up the good work

Electro

Yes, this thread is still kicking
    I couldnt believe it !!!

Goes back to 2001

Yes, you deserve a medal for initiating this enduring poser

And glad you still with us.

ServerChill Guest

Wow, this post has been going for some time.

Working in the computer field for almost 20 years now, cooling a computer has always been an issue. That being said, the only sure method is a cool room and lots of computer case airflow.

Not everyone has the ability for a dedicated computer room with it's own 50,000 BTU cooling system, the next best thing is using a liquid cooling system with an "outside" chiller that employs multiple TEC's.
    (Thermo Electric Coolers)

Since I could never find one that fit my needs, I have had to buy a 2 or 3 units and take them to the garage for some serious mods.

Yes, it's not cheap, yes, it takes some time and yes, you can make your computer run at whatever temp you want.

There is a process called stacked-peltier, which can produce negitive temps. ( -5c -20c -50c ), if you couple this with a non-water liquid, you can approach the ultimate over-clocking, near supercomputer speeds. Just watch for condensation.

As for the original post, there is no cheap and easy way to a/c a computer for under $100, maybe in another 10 years.

BUT, it can be done.

Techs are horrid inefficient devices best forgotten, you get nearly 300% of the cooling power at less energy consumption via a vapour compression chiller.

errr....'cough'......condensation....'cough'
    CHILL out with Manchester United

there are many ways to circumvent the issue of condensation.

their are products available, try scan.co.uk, i fitted a cpu water cooler because of overheating whilst gaming-its run great without condensation, just make sure your case is big enough.
    Last edited by malcoa; 07-06-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast