Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: An A/C system for my computer case... can it be done ?

thanks Gary about information could you please tell me which book Ibuy for electrical refrigeration and air conditioning I look forward to hearing from you
    thank you
    Jamal
    Manchester

stinkbug Guest

Saw this thread and thought hey, I've seen a refrigerated case before. It's made by Nextherm, I would post the link but I would have to post 15 times before I could. Just go to Google and type in Nextherm, and you'll get a couple of places to buy one.

Hope that helps
    Stinkbug

stinkbug Guest

Almost forgot, if you combine with a Evercool Silver Knight CPU Watercooler, you will have one of the coldest CPUs ever. Instead of having to run all the water cooling system stuff this is a self contained unit that works like a normal CPU heat sink and fan.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Almost forgot, if you combine with a Evercool Silver Knight CPU Watercooler, you will have one of the coldest CPUs ever. Instead of having to run all the water cooling system stuff this is a self contained unit that works like a normal CPU heat sink and fan.
    All except that its a sad joke that sucks with zero benifit other then bling with less real world performance then Tt that only the newbs get suckered into buying.

They totaly forgot the whole CONCEPT of water cooling! To remove heat from the case, not just recycle it!

Befor you pedal off garbage lets see them numbers wipped out!

Quote Originally Posted by electro View Post
    I've been wondering lately, I have quite a new PC with a high spec, but the problem is, the faster the component's and CPU's that go into PC's and motherboards - the more heat they chuck out.

I was thinking, Is it possible to find a working fridge, and disassamble it, and using the parts to make an A/C system for my PC's case, my main questions are:

1) Is it easy to connect all the components and copper tubing?
    2) Is it a safe thing to do, IE, fire risks? electrocution?
    3) How easy is to 'gas-up' the system? (I need a friend who is a refrigeration engineer...)

I visited the tip a few weeks ago, and there was what looked like a compressor/fan/radiator unit there, painted black, looked nice...
    I only wished I got it now!
    What are the chances of finding a working compressor, for free, or very cheap?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

PS, this was posted in the refigeration section, but I just noticed that there was a A/C section, lol, sorry about that!
    KEEP IT STRAIGHT AND SIMPLE!(KISS)YOU DONT NEED TO REFRIGERATE THE CASE.YOU WILL END UP WITH MOISTURE/CONDENSATION PROBLEMS.

1.AIRCON THE ROOM THE P.C. IS IN!
    2.INSTALL A BIGGER CPU FAN
    3.INSTALL EXTRA FANS INTO YOUR COMPUTER CASE.
    4.MAKE A FILTER WITH OLD STOCKING TO ALLOW THE AIR BEING PULLED IN TO BE FILTERED(IF AREA THE P.C.IS IN IS DUSTY) OR YOU WILL END UP WITH HIGH VOLUMES OF DUST BEING SUCKED INTO THE CASE/CPU.

MARKACS

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    All except that its a sad joke that sucks with zero benefit other then bling with less real world performance then Tt that only the newbs get suckered into buying.

They totally forgot the whole CONCEPT of water cooling! To remove heat from the case, not just recycle it!

before you pedal off garbage lets see them numbers whipped out!
    If you combine it with an air conditioned pc case, then you are very effectively removing the hot air from your case. Since the hot air is being removed by the small A/C unit located inside of the case. With that case you don't really even need a pc fan, since a cpu cooling tower would be more than enough. Now if you have enough equipment that this would not be cool enough for you, you could always build your computer inside of a mini fridge. That would be easier than trying to build the fridge motor and compressor into a pc case. Hell all you would really need to do is drill some holes and place the whole damn computer you have now inside, with some insulation foam or some rubber grommets holding the cold air inside. Now yes you would have to open the door to turn it on, connect a device, or put in a cd; but wouldn't that be much easier than pulling apart, and rebuilding a refrigerator inside of a pc case. Not to mention how god awful that would look when your done. At least with your pc inside of a mini fridge you could still put beer in there. To keep out the moisture you could always seal your components with silicone. Or stuff your case with a bunch of those moisture things that I'm always finding in a new pair of shoes.

But anyway, I'm done, so why doesn't someone tell me why that idea won't work, that way I can tell them how much I don't care.

Oh, I almost forgot, I fixed most of the spelling in your post, it's not that hard, the computer does it for you.

Ya but unlike some people I have no need to pretend I spell flawlesly, it is of such trivial importance in the real world.

Start with garbage you end with garbage, the POS you said for him to use is just that, far inferior surface area compared to even a low end rad, weak pump leaving poor flow rates, dumping the heat right back to once it came, shall I go on?

A properly made water cooling system will net superior resualts even with out the A/C With added A/C would yield even further net results.

Oh and if you did not care why respond? Seems to defy logic.

A minifridge would not work as the system is too weak, you obviously have no clue of what you speak as you'd have knowen this as it is very well knowen fact, That and the verry poor unfounded claim of the perticuler cooling device.

And actualy making the system in the case is verry easy and commenaly don.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=94098 < Verry terrible looking indeed!

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=373263 < You did actualy look up and research your info right?
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 25-08-2007 at 09:15 AM.

stinkbug Guest

The point is I really don't care mainly because my water cooled system works very well for me, and I don't see any reason why I should refrigerate the case.

I really don't care if the cpu cooler doesn't work, because I'm not gonna buy one, my brother has one on his computer and likes it just fine.

My main question is why build a refrigerated case,when you could just as easily buy one for $180?

Plus, if you spell with the mental capability (I know five syllables is a tough one) of a 5th grader, then people will begin to think of you as such. Oh, and it's "known" not "knowen".

Ah I love people who attack spelling, just shows how weak their argument is when they lack no technical knowledge to attack the point!

Ah Why bother spending a 180 when you can get a high end air cooler that does just as well for like $40? Yet again we see it is illogical. Fine so your brother is happy with spending a large amount of money when he could have spent less and got the same resualts, still not good to recomend to others.

Secondely any serious person does not refrigerate the case, they cool the component directly via a glycol chiller or custom evap head directly on the chip. You're sounding woefuly ignorant of the whole refrigerated cooling scene, I'd rather chat with some one with a clue then flawless spelling! So please go learn a bit!

Make no mistake of associating spelling with technical knowledge nor vocab, you'll get your ass pwned, my goal is not to impress twits with spelling but to help with technical related issues you want to play colledge boy show off we can, but rather pointless in my eyes.
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 26-08-2007 at 08:48 PM.

eye kahnt spehl eeever!

Keep it friendly guys. This is meant to be a fun place to be, don't turn it into a slagging match.
    Anyway, you are all wrong...

I am the only person that is ever right....

Muhahahaha

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

I searched superconductors (thermal) and heat pipes/tubes on the net some years ago and this is what they were working on for cooling processors. I think an ecconomical approch would be to use a fan internally mounted with filtered intake and to pressurise case - this would minimise dust from getting into little gaps. Air could be diverted across the chip and/or drive via hose. The motor could be variable speed to save on power and noise.

I haven't read all of the posts and a idea popped into my head but they make solid state refrigerators for wine cooling etc. My friend brought one into my apartment and the mechanics are minimal. I haven't looked into how they work but you might be able to disassemble one of these and cool your computer rather than a large vaned air cooled heat sink. It would require more power than your battery could supply so you would have to plug it into the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsparky View Post
    I haven't read all of the posts and a idea popped into my head but they make solid state refrigerators for wine cooling etc. My friend brought one into my apartment and the mechanics are minimal. I haven't looked into how they work but you might be able to disassemble one of these and cool your computer rather than a large vaned air cooled heat sink. It would require more power than your battery could supply so you would have to plug it into the wall.
    Those systems relie on PELTs and thus energy usage is high, and to boot the pelts used in the fridge is much too weak to keep up with current procs.

The most efficeint system is a directly mounted evap head using a standerd refrigerent compressor. Second to that is a chiller system using an Alcohol/water mix with some glycol or glycerin to lub the pump.

Hallo to all, being in the lucky situation to have access to all sorts of used and disused stuff i built myself a chiller to cool the innerds of my beefed up computer, i drilled a hole thru the rather fat cpu-heatsink and press-fitted a 1/4"copper tube into it, in series with that i'm using an oil cooler, which had been used for a generator, as 'air handler'. The chiller unit consists of an old fridge compressor (1/8 hp r12, mineral oil) and a similar oil cooler as used in the computer. Refrigerant: 50 g of butane, going thru a fan cooled condenser into a capillary, then to the oil tubing of the oil cooler, and back to the compressor, the chilled water (6°C, controlled with thermostate) circulates thru the big tube of the oilcooler in the chillerunit driven by a fishtank pump, plastic tubing to the computer above, thru the cpu heatsink and the oil tubing of the oil cooler within the computer case and back thru plastic tubing to the chiller. the only problem is condensing water on the cpu heatsink, which is drained into a bottle. I'm making about 2 l water a day! have fun, marincarl

glad we are back to refer and have left the spelling bee behind

Hi, If your computer system is that expensive then i suggest that you contact a local reputable installer, there could be tears otherwise.

thanks a lot!

Question about over clocking.
    The amount of heat generated by a computer that is not over clocked is relatively small. How ever when you start to over clock it and have more than a 1000watt power supply, then the heat load starts to become a factor. The first law of thermodynamics is : Energy can not be created nor destroyed only moved from one object to another !
    So if you have a 1000watt power supply your computer can only produce a 1000watts of heat !

I have done a lot of research into this topic, an ideal solution would be a cheap and low noise refrigeration system. My idea is to use a water cooling setup on the main heatsinks and the water that circulats through the system will pick up all the heat. So if you could build a system with a water storage tank that is refrigerated and pump that cold water through your computer you could have an ideal system ?
    The best part of this thery is that refrigeration and water tank could be in a remote location ( in the basment or on the roof ) and therfore the noice would not be a problem. However the dew point control would be a small problem cause you dont want condensation to form with in your case and short out the electronics ?

This is my first post onto Ref. Eng.
    I hope that it is used wizly ?
    A south african Refrigeration Engineer

Hi GreenfFly I see you have a little interest in refrigerated water cooling setup for computer. I have done in the past something very similar to what you describe. A chiller, a coolant resevoir, a pump and a cpu. If you look a few threads down in cpu forum you will see a thread I started a few years back desribing a toy I built. The chiller is in the garage and my pc was upstairs which had water block on cpu, worked very well. Initially I used it to cool one pc then it cooled off a buch of crunchers, quiet good fun to play with. Have fun

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345