Hey folks,

I have two dehumidifiers, same brand, looks like same pump, both labeled they contain thermally protected R22.

First unit (older may 3yo) is collecting a wee bit of moisture on the coil but not enough to extract more than evaporates in the collection pan before it drains into the collection tank, so the first coil gets cool but not cold. No iceup anywhere. Also coils blown clean, fan running great, compressor is running and not too warm to the touch.

Second unit (newer maybe 1.5yo) coils clean, fan running greate, compressor is hot to touch, coils are not getting cool, and no moisture apparent anywhere.

On both units they are not fitted with service ports, however there is a T junction with a pinched off short segment of line on both units same place.

My guess is (see how little I know) that the first unit is low enough on R22 that it is not even icing up, so maybe half charge. The second unit has a blockage in one of the expansion valves or the compressor is bad.

My idea (looking for guidance here) is that if it is a reasonable guess that the first unit just needs some R22, and the second unit has not completely drained of R22, then connecting the high side of the second unit to the low side of the first unit (after purging the connecting line - open connection to hi side, vent air on far end (very short), before opening the first units low side to the connection). Then I would run the second unit and watch the pressure rise to (big guess here) double the standing pressure until it reaches 30psi (25C)? Then close off the connecting line, stop the second unit, and watch the action of the first unit.

I have a manifold gauge to monitor, as well as access to the coil where the expansion valve is, so I would expect the temperature to drop if everything goes as I have laid out. Is there one or more reasons why this will not work?

Thanks for any assistance with this,
Rob