459degrees Guest

Lightbulb A video of an Air Conditioning Inspection

This is a video of an engineer demonstrates the process of completing a UK ABBE air conditioning report and assessment.
    might be intresting

Part 1
    youtube.com/watch?v=vCq_L8nGdXI

Part 2
    youtube.com/watch?v=dEbdRy5ZGvc

Part 3
    youtube.com/watch?v=loK0yLxUDOM

Re: A video of an Air Conditioning Inspection

Oh.....my.....good.....god

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

OK Ben, are you giving us this entertainment because your boss wants some free advertising or are you really impressed with the way that he took measurements from anon-working unit.

Only seen the first video, enough was enough, geeeez.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I am in the wrong job, people actually get paid for that.
    Even though I am now basically a pen pusher (a fat one at that) i think I could manage to take of a service cover.
    Not that I want to critise (yes I do) but those AC units must be the quickest acting ones I have ever seen.
    You turn them on and instantly you get cold air.
    He wears a suit, so he must be good!
    hey I do not blame the guy, if he can make money out doing this shyte, good on him, but who the F**K dreams up this?

Timbo_1975 Guest

*Speechless* !!!!

459degrees Guest

Thanks for your criticisms

Brian ‘He took measurements from anon-working unit
    yes at the time of filming we couldn't have the unit running, but we wanted to show how to take a reading
    (
    I will re edit this so it is more clear)

Mad fridgie ‘i think I could manage to take off a service cover
    A TM44 inspection it is a non invasive inspection.

Those AC units must be the quickest acting ones I have ever seen. You turn them on and instantly you get cold air
    Im sorry but I edited out the bit where he waits for the cold air to come out.

I would really like to film someone doing a Lvl 4 inspection (over 250 kW) as that is where recommendations for energy saving become critical and it would be more interesting for you to watch.

Blog Entries

On this videos engineer measures temperature of heat exchanger and pipes with Testo 810 infrared thermometer which has fixed emissivity.
    His measuring result, without adjusting emissivity, is way out of correct measurements and this is example how measurements SHOULD NOT BE DONE.
    If this is your promotional video than better is not to show it here where real engineers gather.

459degrees Guest

without adjusting the emissivity can you take an estimate reading of the efficiency of the compressor.

The Testo 810 infrared thermometer is emissivity adjustable?
    testo.com/online/embedded/Sites/INT/SharedDocuments/ProductBrochures/0560_0810_en_01.pdf

Blog Entries

I got different description here:
    http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=28638

Emissivity is fixed at 0.95 and the distance-to-spot ratio is 6:1.
    Than few sentences further i found this:
    Other features of the Testo 810 include a hold function, min/max values, adjustable emissivity and display illumination
    So, is it fixed or adjustable?

I did not saw at video that emissivity is adjusted.

Estimate is wrong if measurement is wrong.
    Last edited by nike123; 28-05-2010 at 04:59 PM.

I'm with mad fridgie, sign me up, if it means i haven't got to put up with a lazy ungrateful 19 year old apprentice who spent 2 years at college and still looks at me like i've got 2 heads when i ask him to tell me the 4 main components of the fridge cycle. i s**t you not. sorry lads, a bit off topic just had a bad apprentice day again.

seriously though, i cant see everyone jumping for this inspection, i was talking to our service manager who has just done the training course to become an assessor he didn't really know too much about it considering he has just done it, all he could tell me was that it could be very lucrative. i think that sums it up !!!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Anyway Ben, why are you showing us these videos ? 'cos as an advert for the company it's not going down too well is it?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

As I have over 30 years experience with a/c I am currently trying to qualify via the APEL National Occupation Standards route. I chose this as it means I can take the exam after proving I have really have the experience and 'qualifications'.
    However, I am beginning to think I should just bite the bullet and pay for the full course (the same one a butcher or baker etc would take) because it is immensely confusing, time consuming and invasive proving I know how a/c works.

Anyone else found this?

Hi Sparkatan

Ive had 22 years experience and have completed level 3 through a diploma and then fast tracked with Apel to level 4.

I found that doing the diploma helped me develop the skills to actually write the report, once that was acheived then Apel to level four.
    I tried Apel first off but it was all too confusing and does not offer much support on putting it all together.

Also, i have been pushing this for some time now with clients and its finally starting to pay off now, the PO's are rolling in, in fact ones just landed now on my desk for a level 4, this area is also where the best money is as all the have a go hero's shy away from the comlicated stuff.

PS. I have seen these videos before, bit of an eye opener or what.

PPS. the kw rating doesnt dictate if its level 3 or 4, it dictates the date the inspection should have been completed by.
    Last edited by coolments; 16-10-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by sparkatan View Post
    As I have over 30 years experience with a/c I am currently trying to qualify via the APEL National Occupation Standards route. I chose this as it means I can take the exam after proving I have really have the experience and 'qualifications'.
    However, I am beginning to think I should just bite the bullet and pay for the full course (the same one a butcher or baker etc would take) because it is immensely confusing, time consuming and invasive proving I know how a/c works.

Anyone else found this?

I did the CIBSE APEL route ..... What a lark. You need a degree just to fill the forms out. However, I got there in the end. Good luck.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]