may27 Guest

Will Ref's compressor unit be damaged...?

i'm just a normal user and would like to know if the ref's compressor unit be damaged by having the ref's input power being shut-off for 52mins and power-on for 8mins...?
    there is a gadget being sold that is claiming as power saving device for refrigerator units... i have checked how the device work and its basically cutting-off and restoring the ref's input power on a preset time.

pls advise if this is safe or not... tnx

Re: Will Ref's compressor unit be damaged...?

Quote Originally Posted by may27 View Post
    i'm just a normal user and would like to know if the ref's compressor unit be damaged by having the ref's input power being shut-off for 52mins and power-on for 8mins...?
    there is a gadget being sold that is claiming as power saving device for refrigerator units... i have checked how the device work and its basically cutting-off and restoring the ref's input power on a preset time.

pls advise if this is safe or not... tnx
    Uses more power to get it restarted. Best to leave it alone. If shutting it off saves power. Unplugging it is your best solution.

power saving devices should work on demand not time...... who knows whats going to happen from 1 min to the next, you could have 52 mins with the door slightly open causing more problems

may27 Guest

thanks for the response sneep & sefuss... correction for the device's operation; as per the marketing personnel i interviewed... the input power is not being cut-off but it has circuitry that would make the compressor stop operating for 52mins then restores into 8mins.

what do you guys think...?

Quote Originally Posted by may27 View Post
    thanks for the response sneep & sefuss... correction for the device's operation; as per the marketing personnel i interviewed... the input power is not being cut-off but it has circuitry that would make the compressor stop operating for 52mins then restores into 8mins.

what do you guys think...?
    Thats a crap answer. They are shutting the compressor off. Starting takes the most amperage.

Refrigeration design is 16-18 hours of run time for a cooler. 18-20 hours for a freezer. Thats to keep the product cold at the desired temperature. The 8 minute gimmick totals 3.2 hours of run time. Sure that will save you money in energy. The trade off is warm food.

You already have a timer that kicks the compressor off during defrost. The only time a compressor runs is when it needs to cool/freeze. You're gonna get warm food keeping the compressor off for 52 minutes of every hour.
    These gimmicks are about them making money. There is no free ride unless you ignore the consequences.

may27 Guest

thanks for the input sneep... =)