Compressor Running During Deforst??

Hello again people. A few weeks back I posted to this forum because i had a problem with ice build up in my 3 compartment freezer. I considered buying a new freezer but a technician from one company stated that i may have the same problem because i dont use a blast freezer first. So he suggested i use my walk in refrigerator to cool the goods before i put them in my freezer. It seems to be working! I had the freezer at 10F but i lowered the temp because ive been told 0-5 is best temp for storage.

Today i noticed something a little strange, the compressor is running while the unit is in the defrost cycle....is this normal???

I went down to my basement to see if it was running because i heard that noise when the thermostat clicks on and off while it was in deforst. While down there i noticed one of the lines was extremely hot! I felt the lines to my other units but they were not at all like this.

Thanks to all in advance!!

Re: Compressor Running During Deforst??

Depends, if its electric defrost then no it shouldn't be running, but if it is hot gas defrost then it should be running to generate the hot gas.

May be best to get a tech to check it over, will be cheaper than a new comp or such and any lost stock that may result from running in a faulty condition.

If hot gas defrost on low temp room, the low temp room should have a suction stop solenoid and releif by pass, then compressor can run and have unloaders to maintain chiller room, and generate hot gas.
    If electric defrost on low temp room the compressor should not run irrespective of what the chiller is doing, or wants to do, if that is the case have a time initiated and pressure terminating defrost controller on low temp room.

Hey Magoo and Monkey, Thanks for the quick reply!

It is 100% an electric deforst!

It was actually my tech who wired in this thermostat last year. The thermostat is wired to the solenoid on the gas line....i think it's the supply line?? I'm a handy baker not a HVAC tech so please excuse my ignorance.

Shouldn't the thermostat and solenoid on the line be de-energized during a deforst cycle ??? I thought de-energizing would keep the line closed, which would let the electric heaters do their thing. I'm guessing it is wired to the wrong terminal. What are your thoughts on this????

When i was down by my compressor the line was so hot I couldn't touch it. Its air cooled with a water booster, and it was using the water booster when it was in the defrost cycle. I imagine this is all the heat from the defrost heaters coming back down??

Please let me know if any of this sounds valid. Thanks again people!

Thanks again!!

if the thermostat is controlling the solenoid valve, the unit should then pump down and cut out on its low presure switch, the compressor will be red hot due to the fact that its running non stop and never cutting out, could be a whole list of things making this happen, debris stuck in solenoid valve, faulty lp switch not cutting out compressor, sticking contacts on the compressor contactor or maybe a faulty thermostat!!