Exclamation Dunair Split Ducted Problems

went to a job to commision a new dunair spit ducted
    outdoor unit compressor and fans will not start....

when you push contactor in manually the compressor starts but no condensor fans... there is no power on the the controll coil A1 of the contactor.. please help i have to fix this on monday

Re: Dunair Split Ducted Problems

Are these the cheap chinese knock off no name unit's rebadged and sometimes sold on ebay?

edit: yep they are. Quote from their website: "Manufactured in our factory in China"

Can't really be any simpler.
    CF probably has it's own relay on the indoor PCB or outdoor defrost controller, that's why it doesn't come on with the compressor contactor.
    Check for power output on the indoor terminals for compressor or cf, if there's no output (eliminating installer wiring fault between the units), warranty LOL if you can get it.

Unit's like these leave a bad taste in my mouth, I have seen too many one off units made in china imported under a local companies name. Fire and Ice were terrible for example. Arena as well.
    I doubt anyone here knows anything about dunnair units too besides generic things.
    Last edited by paul_h; 28-11-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    Are these the cheap chinese knock off no name unit's rebadged and sometimes sold on ebay?

edit: yep they are. Quote from their website: "Manufactured in our factory in China"

Can't really be any simpler.
    CF probably has it's own relay on the indoor PCB or outdoor defrost controller, that's why it doesn't come on with the compressor contactor.
    Check for power output on the indoor terminals for compressor or cf, if there's no output (eliminating installer wiring fault between the units), warranty LOL if you can get it.

Unit's like these leave a bad taste in my mouth, I have seen too many one off units made in china imported under a local companies name. Fire and Ice were terrible for example. Arena as well.
    I doubt anyone here knows anything about dunnair units too besides generic things.

Unfortunatly I am the warranty reparier since friday..so i have to fix this...

everything runs fine there is power to the outdoor pc board but there is no signal being delivered to the coil on the contactor, could it be the pc board?? these are not a one off unit there are thousands of them being installed all over australia

Quote Originally Posted by daveo661 View Post
    Unfortunatly I am the warranty reparier since friday..so i have to fix this...
    Then I feel sorry for you
    Becoming a warranty repairer without any manufacturer help is hard.
    Well can't dunnair help you out? Or do they not have any technical information?
    I know that they are not one off units, but what i meant at the end of the day, someone has to supply information and parts, and it's not going to be some no name factory in china that helps you out.

Being ducted, mains to the outdoor right? Then mains feed to the indoor.
    How many other cables interconnect? Just a signal wire, or a separate cable each for compressor, fan and rv operation?
    If just a single comms cable, then dunnair will have to bail you out as no one is going to know the system.
    If separate cables, then verify whether the indoor unit is outputting anything. If it is, then cable or outdoor fault. If it isn't, then indoor fault

Yeh only wires to indoor are 3 interconect wires from the outdoor the main wall controller has 8 wires 4 input and 4 output all going to outdoor unit it is a 3 phase unit with neutral also... not sure how to tell the owner of company " i cant fix this " also i only started with the company on friday not sure who to ask for more information dont want to sound stupid..

all i can see is that there is one wire from the pc board that goes to the a1 terminal on the contactor what do you think the possibility of it being a pc board fault

You are not going to sound stupid if you ask for a service manual in order to fix it.
    If your employer doesn't have it, it's their fault for taking on warranty repair for a company that has not supplied them with manuals and training.

As far as your last question, well with just a comms interconnect (3 wire system), there's no way of working out whether it's an indoor or outdoor PCB problem.
    Better to ask for a service manual than to guess outdoor PCB, telling the customer that, waiting for parts, coming back to site and being totally wrong.

Thanks for your help Paul i fixed the unit today after many hours found out it was the phase protection stoping it from starting... strangely enough when i started the compressor by holding in the contactor the compressor sounded normal only after fitting gauges and see that the compressor was not pumping was this clear