fergas Guest

Possible 404a problem?

Hi there, was wondering if any of the geniuses here could help me out?
    I have a cabinet freezer that has just had the compressor changed, everything was done right until it came time to be charged. It has been charged fully with vapour instead of liquid, the temp is pulling down but there is a whole lot of icing up going on. Its a capillery system and the charge weight has been surpassed, but only slightly.
    I'm planning to get the gas reclaimed and a fresh vac before charging with liquid, buut was wondering if the new compressor may be damaged or the oil displaced and if I need to take any corrective measures before recharging.
    I've had a look through the forums but haven't seen anything similar, any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Possible 404a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by fergas View Post
    Hi there, was wondering if any of the geniuses here could help me out?
    I have a cabinet freezer that has just had the compressor changed, everything was done right until it came time to be charged. It has been charged fully with vapour instead of liquid, the temp is pulling down but there is a whole lot of icing up going on. Its a capillery system and the charge weight has been surpassed, but only slightly.
    I'm planning to get the gas reclaimed and a fresh vac before charging with liquid, buut was wondering if the new compressor may be damaged or the oil displaced and if I need to take any corrective measures before recharging.
    I've had a look through the forums but haven't seen anything similar, any advice would be appreciated.
    vac and charge correctly,should be ok,why on earth did you charge it vapour,only 134a can now be charged vapour .

Hi,
    If the oil is not contaminated then it should be OK. Open a circuit where possible and look for something like tar or a black "chewing gum". If it's there then the oil is contaminated with moisture.
    Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

depending on how big the system is and how much 404a is lefti n the bottle... wouldnt it potentially ruin the refrigerant in the bottle tyo have charged a system with vapor as it would boil off unevenly wrecking the properties...
    -Christopher

fergas Guest

I'm going to struggle to get some oil out without cutting the system open and brazing back up, it wasn't running for very long so I'll take the chance.
    Its a small system only 600g out a full 13kg bottle so would hope its not made that much of a dent in the chemical balance. As to why its been charged with vapour, hmmm, inexperience, stupidity, its one or t'other.
    Cheers,

The oil might be OK, re-read Lana's post. The glide on 404 is slight, only 1*F at the temp you would have charged at, so if you only used 600g of a new jug, although others may disagree with me, I think the rest of the jug is usable. Put your gauges on the jug and get a good accurate reading of the jug temp and compare to the P-T table.

Ya 404a has a low glide temp and doesn't tend to fractionate. IDK, I think the bottle should be ok but don't put the recovered 404a back into it

Why not just use R507? Testing has shown that even partial charges of R404a can be topped up with R507 without any significant loss in performance and in some cases a slight increase depending on the fraction of each refrigerant. I have always wondered why so many people use R404a when R507 is available and considered Azeotropic. Can you mechanics/engineers out there satisfy my curiosity and tell me why?

I don't ever suggest mixing any refrigerant.

He has a full bottle of 404

good old salesmanship buy dupont i think old esky,they didnt create 507 but had to cash in on it by altering its state three different ways for patent approval hence 404 constitues 507 and three parts 134.
    i am firm in the belief that it was created by a croweater from loxton
    507 is definitely superior to 404
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast