Carlyle Compresser question

Working on a Carrier 48TJ016-028 WITH A Carlyle Compresser. I have high discharge temp about 50 psi discharge pressure. No suction pressure or temp. The valves were leaking where the cover are to be hand tight. So basically high discharge temp low discharge psi no suction temp or psig. Any suggustions on what might be going on with unit .

Re: Carlyle Compresser question

Hi there,

From the symptoms you mentioned, probably there is not enough refrigerant in the system.
    The other case is that your evaporator is starved.
    Check the TEV, filter and refrigerant amount.

Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Low mass flow through compressor .

Quote Originally Posted by bwd111 View Post
    Working on a Carrier 48TJ016-028 WITH A Carlyle Compresser. I have high discharge temp about 50 psi discharge pressure. No suction pressure or temp. The valves were leaking where the cover are to be hand tight. So basically high discharge temp low discharge psi no suction temp or psig. Any suggustions on what might be going on with unit .
    Hi what model unit are we dealing with here?
    do you have exv or txv?
    it does sound like a lack of refrigerant ,
    is this a chiller or dx ?
    more detailes would be helpful
    THE DEFINITION OF A SMART PERSON IS ONE WHOM LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES!!!

Just a roof top unit with a cap tube. Carrier with two compressors side by side. Tried to add refer but system has no suction pressure but hot discharge temp and 50 psig pressure. Suction line is not cold or warm. Same temp as outdoor temp. Could be

Just a roof top unit with a cap tube. Carrier with two compressors side by side. Tried to add refer but system has no suction pressure but hot discharge temp and 50 psig pressure. Suction line is not cold or warm. Same temp as outdoor temp. Could be
    There's no such thing as no suction pressure. Is it 5psig, 0psig, 10"hg? If the suction pressure is 0 psig, then it's at atomospheric pressure, which depending upon the units used is 1 atm, 14.7 psia, etc., etc. That isn't the same as no pressure. In that case it could be that there's a massive leak on the low side causing any added refrigerant to immediately blow back out into the atmosphere.

The compressor is not sucking so there is no suction comming from the unit . foo

The compressor is not sucking so there is no suction comming from the unit . foo
    "Suction pressure" is a poor choice of terminology, but then I didn't come up with it either. How about we call it the "low side pressure" instead. What was the low side pressure reading? Assuming that there is a low side, then it does not have "no pressure."

beh25 Guest

if your discharge pressure is 50 psi and your suction is zero. the problem is refrigerant in the system is not enough,maybe your system have leak, or your txv, filter is clogging.

The low side pressure is the pressure of refer that is in the line. When energized the low side same as when the comp is off. The high side pressure is about 60 psi. I tried to put the comp in pump down mode but wouldn't. Usuallly if bad valve are culprit then unit would equalize very rapidly.

This is my diagnose: a DISCHARGE valve that isn't seating properly because of damage and is causing the low head pressure. Refer vapor is be forced out of the cylinder and into the discharge line during the up stroke of the comp. Then on down stroke of comp the same refer is drawn back in, That is why i have such a hot discharge line...

but still 60 PSI on the high side and 0 PSI on the low side would indicate the system hasnt got enough gas to stand a chance.... ....

if your suction pressure is staying at the same pressure as tyhe discharge line I would think along the lines of a discharge valve.......

what do your low side and high side guages read when the unit is running?
    -Christopher

Hi bwd111 :
    did u try to manually pump down the unit by closing the valve?
    this will let you know if your plate is smashed,if you manage to pump down then u are short of refrigerant and i would look for a leek.

When high side is measured while running 50 psi and low side is the same off as is on. I tried to add gas and will not accept any. The vavle is backseated. Im thinking discharge valve is not properly seated.Refer vapor is be forced out of the cylinder and into the discharge line during the up stroke of the comp. Then on down stroke of comp the same refer is drawn back in, That is why i have such a hot discharge line...

I tried to pump down but wouldn't. I closed high side and wacthed the lowside and no drop in pressure. Usually you cant pump down unit and if fast equlizeation happens you would have bad valves. Any suggestions

High side while running is 50 and lowside has the same as while running and stop . The only pressure im ready is the temp/pressure of refer in the line. beleive it was 60 on lowside. Again refer temp/pressure relationship on a 85 degree day. I think its the discharge valve as well.

Hi,

I read that some people mentioned about the compressor valves...
    If it was the valve (either suction or discharge), suction pressure would go up and discharge pressure would go down. This is not happening here.
    Check the refrigerant first.
    Cheers

I tried to pump down but wouldn't. I closed high side and wacthed the lowside and no drop in pressure. Usually you cant pump down unit and if fast equlizeation happens you would have bad valves. Any suggestions
    Hi :
    the only advice based on your description would be to change a compressor !

Why don't you measure the subcooling, the system is obviously short of refrigerant, weigh out the charge for further confirmation.

What about the LP switch, is there one? Has it been linked out?

Cheers
    Tutto il Mondo e un Paese

It was low on refrigerant, trying to add refrigerant but cant add any if comp has no suction pressure. H ooked refer to lowside turned comp on and lowside pressure didnt go up or down. discharge line hot lowside was same temp as ambient.

If low pressure switch was not working the comp would not come on. Plus lps doesnt stop suction pressure and allow dischagre to discharge..

What you are reporting is not adding up, make sure that the information you are providing is correct. you seem to not know what the low side pressure is, you have been asked repeatedly to tell us what it is and you have yet to give us a gauge reading. Also, if the refrigerant in the tank is at a higher pressure then the refigerant in the system you will add charge to the system. If you in fact cannot add refrigerant then you need to check your gauges because you have much more then 50- 60 psig in your system. Every indicator if I am deciphering them correctly leads one to believe that you must be low on charge.

Hi,

What do you mean you can not add refrigerant?

Check the solenoid valve or hand valve on the liquid line, are they fully opened?

Hi bwd111
    Is it possible that you have the suction service valve in the back seated position instead of cracked off the back seat to take a gauge reading? http://www.scribd.com/doc/13484919/C...Service-Manual will give you the ebook service manual which will be very helpful to you.

It was low on refrigerant, trying to add refrigerant but cant add any if comp has no suction pressure. H ooked refer to lowside turned comp on and lowside pressure didnt go up or down. discharge line hot lowside was same temp as ambient.
    Hi :
    looking through all the advice you got here you should check your main suction valve and gagues !!!

Well how about this as NO one has yet to say. Acutrol refrigerant Metering Device that are located inside each one of the feeder tubes into the evap coils are fixed orfices and had a clog which caused blockage and that is why suction pressure was not moving on the guage. Only prussure i had was the temp/pressure relationship of the outdoor temp i was not looking for . I was looking for suction pressure from a good running comp.

Quote Originally Posted by lana View Post
    Hi there,

From the symptoms you mentioned, probably there is not enough refrigerant in the system.
    The other case is that your evaporator is starved.
    Check the TEV, filter and refrigerant amount.

Cheers
    I told you to check that at the first post.

tej310782 Guest

i have carrier 5h-40 compressor it getting tripped on low oil pressure i top up oil then alsosame problem arise

tej310782 Guest

in my 5h-40 compressor ther is a formation of ice on suction side hp-215, lp-52, op-110 and i adjusted tev kept outside for superheating then also liquid line is not hot and ice form on evaporator coil what is the reason