rich29 Guest

AC & refrigeration qualification options

Hi everyone. My name is Richard, 24 years of age and from East Mids.

I am wanting to enter the AC and refrigeration industry and I am enquiring as to the best way to do this. The way I believe it to be is, I can go to college and study NVQ 2 followed by NVQ 3. Or the other option seems to be BTEC level 3 distant learning course.

Would I still need to do an NVQ level 2 if I gained the BTEC qualification? If someone can simplify for me the best thing to do to become qualified that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Re: AC & refrigeration qualification options

My understanding is that an NVQ2 is entry level small commercial refrig and AC, two years study part time then follow onto NVQ3.
    I recon if you have the ability you'd be better off going for BTEC3 ( refrigeration / AC engineering) bolt on additional modules to get level 4 then you have a really sound knowledge to underpin your future. The difficulty may then be to convince an employer that you have the overall experience to do design /application, should that be where you want to go. The future then follows with contracts management / project management ... sales, what ever. If you can do that then you can develope from there.

good luck.

Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

rich29 Guest

Thank you very much for your reply.

Is there anyone on here with experience of doing the BTEC level 3 and then doing additional modules / courses? And if so how did you find this?

All input is appreciated.

rich29 Guest

I suppose what I want to know is, with a BTEC level 3 qualification can I gain employment within the industry?

Quote Originally Posted by rich29 View Post
    Hi everyone. My name is Richard, 24 years of age and from East Mids.

I am wanting to enter the AC and refrigeration industry and I am enquiring as to the best way to do this. The way I believe it to be is, I can go to college and study NVQ 2 followed by NVQ 3. Or the other option seems to be BTEC level 3 distant learning course.

Would I still need to do an NVQ level 2 if I gained the BTEC qualification? If someone can simplify for me the best thing to do to become qualified that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Richard.

Level 2 is the minimum the industry recognise
    Level 3 is an unsupervised qualification.

Level 2 and 3 NVQ prove your all round knowledge and skill. They are
    Vocational quals and can only be obtained by working inside the industry.

Hands on people.

There are other quals. Foundation degree, Btec, HNC and HND to name a few.
    These are mainly knowledge based, People in management, design, manufacturing and such like.

The NVQ Level 2 and 3 are good enough to get you a hands on job anywhere
    but if you want to prove yourself in the design or management side one of the
    other quals may be more suitable.

NVQ tend to be college based because you need to go there to learn, the
    others can be distant learning because it is upto you to prove your knowledge.

Horses for courses...

All the best taz.

rich29 Guest

Thank you Taz.

That certainly has cleared everything up for me. I am going to go down the NVQ route as its the hands on side that im interested in.

Richard

AK007 Guest

Dear All
    I am new in this industry and I really really need your help! Please
    I have recently completed the following courses at Ellis Training and Consultancy Ltd:

City and Guilds 2079 – F-Gas Category 1

City and Guilds 2081 – Split Air Conditioning Installation and Commissioning

Service and Maintenance of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems

For the past 4 years I have worked within sales however prior to that I worked, for over 6 years, within the gas industry. This included the supply of industrial and medical gasses to various factories and hospitals.
    I am willing to start with any sort of basic job such as an assistant or trainee. I would also be willing to undertake a work trial so as you may evaluate for yourselves my hard working and enthusiastic nature as well as my commitment to this industry.
    Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Ashfaq Khan

07949 733 780

nass Guest

am a trainer in refrigeration and air conditioning.email me .my email add is nassalish7861@yahoo.com i will help you