Vic Lawrence Guest

Fridge/Freezer cooling problems

I am in dispute with a repair firm who came to repair my Bosch Fridge Freezer where the freezer was working OK but the fridge was not. The invoice of work done said " checked machine and reset the compressor. Advised client to defrost ", which I did and subsequently the fridge worked ok for a few months until the problem reoccured. I subsequently found out that it is impossible to reset a compressor. Having gone back to the firm to challenge them they now say that the repair man removed the relay from the compressor and tested the pins on the compressor to check the state of the motor windings which tested ok. He re-fitted the relay including terminal block to the motor and tightened all connections. Further testing found the machine to be working and he advised a defrost. This suggests that he did not find any fault and that it was the defrost that cleared the system for a few months. Have I paid £90 for the supposed repair which seems to be no more than a cursory check?

Re: Fridge/Freezer cooling problems

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Lawrence View Post
    I am in dispute with a repair firm who came to repair my Bosch Fridge Freezer where the freezer was working OK but the fridge was not.

Have I paid £90 for the supposed repair which seems to be no more than a cursory check?

Hello Vic.

His wording may have not been the best but if he did do what he claims he did do what most engineers woud have done, perhaps more.

The fact that the thing is freezing up may be a problem and it may have a fault that can be repaired but some fridges / freezers do ice up and need defrosting (even suposidly self defrosting ones).

So £90 for him to come out check it to be ok but iced up and requiring a defrost may not be cheap but it is not excessive and not any different to what the majority of white good repair firms would charge.

The trouble with domestic fridges is somtimes it costs more to mend or check out than it does to replace the sodding thing.

Way of the world I'm afraid.

Back to the icing up if it is totaly automatic then a heater is switched on reguarly to melt and ice. This is controled by a timer or an electronic controler.

If it should be frost free and is not, it could be because of a problem with the defrost control and that is a complete problem initself.

Hope that helps

Coolrunnings

If it's a KGN**** model, there is a mod kit comprising drain heater, modified control module and a heat dissipation plate to combat this known problem.

mathew okobua Guest

gooday sir please l need help from you , l have am an techincan having problem with R600A l have so many fridge to repairs but the gas is given me problem l dont have that gas and what can l used to change it can l refill it with ,out changing the oil please l really need help from you thanks waiting for your response

yeah known issue on bosch, hotpoint are not the only ones who have the problem lol.
    And mathew, why not just get some R600 gas??