How physical demanding is your job?

Hi refrigeration engys,

I was wondering about this career. Most people retire at 65...would it still be possilbe to do alot of the lifting you guys do at this age?

Re: How physical demanding is your job?

Quote Originally Posted by graezybee View Post
    Hi refrigeration engys,

I was wondering about this career. Most people retire at 65...would it still be possilbe to do alot of the lifting you guys do at this age?
    The muscle is still there, but the energy level has diminished. Lift it, then take a nap... lol

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You start looking for sack trucks to carry the kit from the van to the site.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

You normally get a 16-17 year old mate to lift the heavy end ofthe condenser, and do the core drilling.

When the installs get to be too much, you fall into maintenance and fault-finding, with someone else to carry the compressors.

Otherwise, it can get a bit tricky trying to read serial numbers in bad light.

Yesterday I had to carry a 94kg condensing unit up three flights of stairs ........on my own (I weigh 94kg)........one step at a time. Then carry a Boss tower up the same route, build it and mount the condenser 10ft off the ground.

I'm knackered.

Eggs

I find it very laborious tbh.

The small condensers weighing 45kg are nice, but when they start getting to 100kg -> 300kg VRV condensers things get a bit more tricky. Having to climb some steps with the heavy end of the condenser isnt the best of jobs and i always dread it. The boss doesnt want to spend the money on a genie hoist so we have to risk quite a lot to lift it high above our heads :\

Does make me laugh how health and safety is thrown out the window when it comes to positioning condensers. Site agents moan all day when you dont wear a bit of PPE but the second they need a quick fix for condenser location they turn a blind eye.

Also carrying all the tools from the van -> job is a pain in the arse.

Toolbox, benders, tube expander, nitrogen, gauges, tranny, vac pump, hammer drill, battery drill, copper/lagging/drain gahhhhhh Good job im young at the minute - dunno what im gonna do when im older cos i wont be able to cope

You can generally find a way to move things if you think about it, without breaking your back, and If salemen included the cost of a small frana type crane in their quotes, and installers ever thought a little about service access and some general common sense OH&S we probably wouldnt be constantly putting ourselves in danger on a daily basis.

It seems we must be prepared to work `till we`re seventy five. I`m off at sixty, can`t see me being able to carry five gallon drums of oil up twelve fights of stairs or drag 150kw motors across plant rooms and manhandle into place.

air con surrey Guest

air con installation is'nt something anybody should do in their 60's, i'd keep looking for a more steady job!
    i fit and certainly hope to be retired by the time i am in my 60's