28cc Highly (Hitachi) CHZ33LC4-U

Hi folks, my first post here, so be gentle with me please.
    I have the above comp in a single stage system. It needs the current oil removing and replacing. The problem i am having, is finding out the proper oil capacity of this comp.
    Having looked around the net, i have found most of the specs for it, but not the oil capacity.
    I have found an LG equivilant to it, it's the LG NJ282P which seems to have a 450ml capacity.
    Have any of you guys re-filled the CHZ33LC4-U ? and if you have, what volume of oil did you use ?

Re: 28cc Highly (Hitachi) CHZ33LC4-U

20 views ? surely some of you guys have come up with this comp before ?

Quote Originally Posted by kitfit1 View Post
    20 views ? surely some of you guys have come up with this comp before ?
    Well, i haven't and unless its a semihermetic i wouldn't have changed the oil in one either.
    Generally you put back in what you took out, if there has been an oil leak you put a bit more in, but not too much as it dose not take much oil to make a mess.

The question i have is why are you wanting to change the oil?

Jon

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Why not just measure how much oil comes out of it when you drain the old oil out?

It's not rocket science.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    The question i have is why are you wanting to change the oil?

Jon
    The comp was bought second hand, it had been brazed clocsed. When i connected it up in the SS it was running noisier and hotter than it should and started shutting down after an hour or so of running.
    It is my belief that in the past some or most of the oil had got out of it, bad handling maybe ? This would then explain the noise, heat and shutdowns that are happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Why not just measure how much oil comes out of it when you drain the old oil out?

It's not rocket science.
    That would be correct, but only if the comp has the correct amount of oil in it in the first place. As i explained above, it's my belief that at some time in the past oil has got out in some way.

You could try putting 200ml of oil in it, but if its been run low for a while is most likely ruined.

Those style of comps do run hot as the body is at discharge temp and pressure.
    Also high suction superheat will cause a high discharge temp, which makes me wonderif this could be the cause if this is a home made system.

At the moment, it is still connected and part of the SS but of course has not been run now. Until i disconnect it and drain the oil, i don't know how much is in it. It has been run as it is, but only for a matter of hours not days or anything like that. At 200ml, are you thinking that 450ml might be too much ?

I don't know how much oil it should have in it. I don't know how much oil it still has in it. I don't know if you are running the correct type of oil for the refrigerant you are using.

200ml is just a guess based on a few years experience working on refrigeration systems and the time honoured principal of "its broke now, it can't get any more broke than broke, so try something and see what happens"

If this is a serious project rather than just for fun i recommend you buy a new compressor, preferably one that has been selected to work at the conditions found in the working system.

Jon

well said jon
    bit like a car engine thats been run with no oil,develops a bottom end clunk,no oil will fix that!
    over here were called refrigeration mechanics,people like kitfit are called bush mechanics!
    buy a new compressor
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by lowcool View Post
    well said jon
    bit like a car engine thats been run with no oil,develops a bottom end clunk,no oil will fix that!
    over here were called refrigeration mechanics,people like kitfit are called bush mechanics!
    buy a new compressor
    if it weren't for those experimenting and learning by doing then half of the innovation we have had in the field would not have happened!!

I for one applaud those that experiment and ask questions learning along the way..
    -Christopher

experience in the field tells me the compressor is not in good servicable condition if an innovation occurs with the correct oil and charge goody for him.we wont go into unnecessary enviromental damage as he experiments his way to the final conclusion.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

^^
    Then your "experience in the field" is just plain wrong then. It was drained, decontaminated, purged with OFN, reconected and re-charged last week. It has been running perfectly at -47c with a 300w heatload ever since.

All i wanted to know from my origional post, was the oil capacity of the comp. Which incidently, i have found out by talking with people that have used it (it is 450ml).

I didn't join this forum and start this thread, just to be subject to personal attacks, "people like kitfit are called bush mechanics!". You have no idea of what my abilities may or may not be. But telling me to "buy a new compressor" when the one i have is perfectly servicable, tells me all i need to know about your abilities.

Well said, engineers are meant to fix equipment not just say "its not working just replace it". Why should a comp be scrapped when it just needs oil, it damages the enviroment more to make a replacement comp.

I'm pleased your project is working well

I've just had a look on wiki for the deffenition of 'Bush mechanic' and it says

Bush mechanic is an Austrailian slang expression which refers to someone who out of necessity and with immediately available materials, is able to solve practical problems using sometimes untraditional and inventive techniques.....

.....The bush mechanic promotes competent behaviour and has a strong emphasis on practical knowledge and wisdom instead of technical skills.....

Doesn't sound too insulting to me but i guess we each see what we expect to see in others.

Having read my response to you about the quantity of oil to add, i was thinking 200ml top up rather than complete charge but i didn't make that clear so i appologise for that.

How much oil did you drain from the compressor before you flushed it out and refilled it?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    How much oil did you drain from the compressor before you flushed it out and refilled it?
    After leaving it overnight to drain, just under 250ml came out. I would post some pics, but i need 15 or more posts first.