Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Freezing leaking oil in Gulf of Mexico

BP don't seem to have come up with a solution for the oil leaks. I would like to suggest building a box to lower over the pipe with an insulated jacket and evaporator inside. On the surface we would have a compressor & the piping going down down to the bottom would form the condensor.

We would have to get the oil down to - 30 to -50 Deg C to solidify to stop flow, then it can be cut and a new valve fitted.

Can this be done? ( assuming the ROVs & robotic manipulators can get the stuff in place)
    Comments please

Re: Freezing leaking oil in Gulf of Mexico

probably quicker to squirt liquid nitrogen into the hole
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

That 5,000 or 6,000 foot pipe run might be tricky.

Lots of oil traps needed.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I wonder what the water pressure would be at that depth? The nitrogen would most likey not evaporate anyway!

1 mile under sea water +- 2532 PSIG

So we just have get a hydraulic compressor to pump gas down at an even higher pressure & let it discharge out of the end of the pipe which will lower the temperature & don't worry about recycling the gas. We use a technique like that in the UK years ago for freezing water mains to repair a broken pipe. Just have to find the right gas & the right compressor. 2532 PSIG = 17.5 MPa

Apparently, the latest containment scheme failed because ice crystals formed in the four story containment structure, clogging it up and making it too bouyant.

The thing that confuses me is the weird arrangement that BP are liable for clean up costs, and no mention of the rig owners and drillers that screwed up and created this situation. It was the drillers that have created the problem,by accident or incompetency/ who knows. Probably cutting corners to save money for shareholders on Wall Street.
    And the platform is still a raging fire. Polution plus. So a bit like "Rome is burning " situation. Another nail in the coffin for global stability.

why not try dropping an explosive charge into the hole on the sea floor? a large enough explosion should blast some rocks into the hole. it should work!(or make it worse)

Expanding methane from the well is what froze the containment dome.

If they can freeze the containment dome, why can't they freeze the well pipe?

lol, wtf why dont we just seal it up with a piece of chewing gum, there is the most technical minds in the world working on this, why dont we just stick to gas leaks and supa heats and leave the big boy stuff to the big boys?

i know send in Bruce Willis with some nukes!! that ought to work bunch o fannies

Quote Originally Posted by coolhibby1875 View Post
    lol, wtf why dont we just seal it up with a piece of chewing gum, there is the most technical minds in the world working on this, why dont we just stick to gas leaks and supa heats and leave the big boy stuff to the big boys?

i know send in Bruce Willis with some nukes!! that ought to work bunch o fannies
    Are those the same technical minds that designed a blowout valve that doesn't work and a manual shutoff valve that the divers can't reach and the robotic vehicles can't close?

If you would like to say that we are second guessing people with better information sources than us, I would tend to agree.

If you want to say they are smarter than us, thus far the evidence seems to be to the contrary.
    Last edited by Gary; 09-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Are those the same technical minds that designed a blowout valve that doesn't work and a manual shutoff valve that the divers can't reach and the robotic vehicles can't close?

If you would like to say that we are second guessing people with better information sources than us, I would tend to agree.

If you want to say they are smarter than us, thus far the evidence seems to be to the contrary.

get a grip of yer self man there is millions of gallons of crude oil leaking into the gulf of mexico, and you think the best they will come up with is brains on par with us fridge engineers?? if you or any other member of this forum can fix it im sure they are willing to hear from you, and by the way im not having a pop at your knowladge, but if you can fix it, you have had a wasted career in the fridge game!!

Actually, the "piece of chewing gum" (rubber like substance injected into the blowout valve) idea is one of the options being considered.

You might be surprised at how little faith I have in "experts" of every kind. The world runs on smoke and mirrors. BS floats to the top... MS is More of the Same... and PHD is Piled Higher and Deeper.
    Last edited by Gary; 09-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.

The current disaster is typical of a dollar driven industry, serving the share holders dividend returns, no consideration for failures, and contingency/plan B recovery.
    BP here have dropped the price of gas at the pump today, a bit of a recovery / cover ass mode.

How hard could it be to install a pressure operated/spring loaded valve at the well head? We've been using them forever on water cooled condensers.

Apply pressure (from the drilling rig) to open the valve for normal operations. If the pressure is lost (drilling rig disappears), the spring closes the valve. Is this too complex for the best minds in the world to figure out?
    Last edited by Gary; 10-05-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Now they are saying the blowout preventer is triple redundant. IOW, this is not one failure, but three failures. Yep... these guys are geniuses.

This is what a blowout preventer looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer#Failures

Two types are shown and both require hydraulic pressure to close. Haven't these people heard of springs?

How hard could it be to install a pressure operated/spring loaded valve at the well head? We've been using them forever on water cooled condensers.

Apply pressure (from the drilling rig) to open the valve for normal operations. If the pressure is lost (drilling rig disappears), the spring closes the valve. Is this too complex for the best minds in the world to figure out?
    again i think we cant compare what we do on the surface of the earth to what happens at 1 mile below the surface of the sea, the presures down there would probally render a spring useless, unless it was huge, but then how do we get it down there.

i think you can rest assure that they are doing everything humanly possible to resolve this issue, but lets stop getting carried away in thinking that devices fitted to water cooled condensers will work a mile below the surface.

well i had an interesting vistor to my website on Sunday night from the gulf of mexico/ canada and the search results for what they were searching for were

"concealed refrigeration system"

So i can only assume that they are tryin to come up with a plan for this??

INTERESTING

again i think we cant compare what we do on the surface of the earth to what happens at 1 mile below the surface of the sea, the presures down there would probally render a spring useless, unless it was huge, but then how do we get it down there.

i think you can rest assure that they are doing everything humanly possible to resolve this issue, but lets stop getting carried away in thinking that devices fitted to water cooled condensers will work a mile below the surface.
    Springs don't work on the bottom of the ocean?

Hmmm... maybe if we keep them well oiled... lol

Now they are saying the blowout preventer is triple redundant. IOW, this is not one failure, but three failures. Yep... these guys are geniuses.

This is what a blowout preventer looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer#Failures

Two types are shown and both require hydraulic pressure to close. Haven't these people heard of springs?
    Now they are saying that there was a significant hydraulic leak in the blowout preventer.

Again... somebody needs to teach these people about springs.

Or if not springs, then some other passive failsafe.

Apparently the blowout preventers have a ram shear which must cut through the drill pipe in order to stop the flow... and the ram shear "may not be strong enough" to cut through the much heavier drill pipe connectors.

BP has stated that the blowout preventer is triple redundant. I would hope this means there are three ram shears. If the distance between ram shears exceeds the length of the connector, then at any given moment at least two of the ram shears will be cutting through the thinner drill pipe.

This is not rocket science.

Apparently the blowout preventers have a ram shear which must cut through the drill pipe in order to stop the flow... and the ram shear "may not be strong enough" to cut through the much heavier drill pipe connectors.

BP has stated that the blowout preventer is triple redundant. I would hope this means there are three ram shears. If the distance between ram shears exceeds the length of the connector, then at any given moment at least two of the ram shears will be cutting through the thinner drill pipe.

This is not rocket science.
    Just when I was thinking it couldn't get any stranger...

One of the ram shears was modified for testing purposes, rendering it incapable of fulfilling its emergency shutoff function.

And their version of a "deadman switch" was a battery operated device which had... a dead battery.

Hi Gary.
    this oil slick must be getting close to your part of the world by now. Not sure what coast of Florida you are on. I think the whole thing is going to get worse before it gets sorted.
    I beleive that all envolved are getting roasted in Washington, good job. Locally here in NZ, they have canned the same exploration co., from drilling off the coast. Lack of confidence in them I would assume.

I am just north of Tampa, about midway up the gulf coast side of Florida. The oil hasn't reached us yet... but everyone is expecting it.

Fortunately there is a prevailing current which should sweep the bulk of it past us and down towards the keys (southern tip of the state) and Cuba.

Of course, the hurricane season (starts next month) could easily change all that.
    Last edited by Gary; 13-05-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Hi Gary.
    Oh joy!!!!, not only the oil slick and spoiling your sneakers on beach walk, now you can look forward to a hurricane trashing your place and dumping truck loads of crude oil on your property.

It is hard to believe that BP, or any driller did not have a back-up of a back-up plan. They are farting around with this gusher, and chasing their tails, like a FNG on the job refer guy. Why can't they get someone who know's their crap like bob balard who found the "Titanic", and send down The deep water sub like "Alvin", and put a tap on this thing????????

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Hi Gary.
    Oh joy!!!!, not only the oil slick and spoiling your sneakers on beach walk, now you can look forward to a hurricane trashing your place and dumping truck loads of crude oil on your property.
    I'm a few miles from the beach, so I'm not overly concerned about oil on my property. As to hurricanes... they go wherever they want, so you just kinda batten down the hatches and take your chances.

I feel sorry for New Orleans aka The Big Easy. They are still recovering from Katrina and now they are starting to see oil hitting their barrier islands. They are currently dropping elephant sized sandbags from helicopters along the barrier islands.
    Last edited by Gary; 13-05-2010 at 04:17 AM.

How many of you old turds remember what a break in kit was? it looked very similar to this dome they are trying to tap this pipe with. Also, does anyone remember "Red Adair"? He was the most famous oil well snuffer in the world. Well, he is dead, and no one know sh+t from putty anymore! I see these new cherries in the field, and it is very sad!

Hi Gary.
    One thing that has intreged me for years is the Army Corp., policy of building levies [ spell check ] so now the big easy are living metres below to average tide level, uncool and not good. Here we dredge the river and maintain the natural level of the river. Not rocket science.

Hi Mr/Ms Izenglish.
    Go and have a lie down and a nap, then talk to us all sensibly with the a brain in place

Hi Gary.
    One thing that has intreged me for years is the Army Corp., policy of building levies [ spell check ] so now the big easy are living metres below to average tide level, uncool and not good. Here we dredge the river and maintain the natural level of the river. Not rocket science.
    Remember the old toilets where the tank was mounted high above the bowl? There was a cartoon going around the net with the tank labelled "Lake Pontchartrain", the bowl labelled "New Orleans" and a pull chain coming from the tank labelled "Katrina". Kinda says it all.

The big easy is a different kind of city. Some of the best food on the planet (hot enough to bring tears to your eyes, but totally worth the burn) and every spring the entire city is about Mardi Gras. Its a fun place.

I expect that from people like you, they try and compensate for thir short cummings, buy critisizing others! crawl back in your hole!

Hi Mr/Ms Izenglish.
    Go and have a lie down and a nap, then talk to us all sensibly with the a brain in place
    I would bet you are the smartest man in the world Magoo, or at leat YOU think so! I probably have "forgot" more than you will ever know! I do know that you are Rude!

Have a Rotten day

l

just seen live footage from the sea bed where the oil is spewing out, mmm it sure looks like a spring would have saved the day!!

just seen live footage from the sea bed where the oil is spewing out, mmm it sure looks like a spring would have saved the day!!

spring!! why not join 200 sets of oxy acet lines together and send the diver off with a few sticks of prefluxed rods, job and knock, sorry fore the crude joke

Seems like the ideal solution would be to somehow make one or more of the ram shears work.

From what information I am able to gather about these blowout preventers (which is admittedly sparse) they seem to have two separate hydraulic systems, one for opening and one for closing.

Apparently the closing hydraulic system is leaking and cannot close the ram shears.

I'm wondering if pulling a vacuum on the opening hydraulic system wouldn't reverse its function, causing the ram shears to close off?

Just a thought.

Why cant they just crimp the mother fing line in several places along it? Im sure they have already tried this but IDK I try not to follow the world slowly ending stuff lol

When you think about it, this wouldn't even need a spring.

The oil is leaking from the well into the sea, therefore the well pressure is higher than the sea pressure.

There is sufficient delta-P to power hydraulic shutoff devices just from the well pressure itself... and a lot more dP if the opposite side of the hydraulic device is evacuated.

Hello Ms Izenglish.
    you toss pot. Change hands at a hundred, share your brilliant career with all of us.

i have a couple ideas
    1) why can we not use a clamp to clamp the leaking pipe the pressure of the oil cannot be that great with a robotic arm some hard rubber and some pipe clamps obviously temporary.
    2) dump cement on it until it clogs the hole the pore rocks and silt on it we can always pump 30,000 gallons of cement down there right.
    3) make a long steel tube and possibly set it down on top that contains the oil and will push all the water up or when it is all oil start pumping it into container ships.

i dont know if any thing will work i think were are all just screwed i live in ft myers fl and i am starting to think nothing will work

and hurricane season is coming,what a f**k up!!!

I think they are going about this the wrong way.
    They must know the dead head pressure of the well.
    So all they need to do is inflate a bladder inside the deformed tube. The pressure in the bladder only need to exceed the pressure difference between the well pressure and the water pressure.
    The expanded bladder will restrick the flow to a low enough level, that they can case the well head in concrete.
    Actually I would look at at a string of bladders.

What is the diameter of the leaky pipe, perhaps a giant pinch-off tool will slow things down a bit, enough to cap to the end of it off

by the time they have this sorted out it probably be quicker to clone or resurrect red adair.pity john wayne is not still with us

Quote Originally Posted by mad fridgie View Post
    I think they are going about this the wrong way.
    They must know the dead head pressure of the well.
    So all they need to do is inflate a bladder inside the deformed tube. The pressure in the bladder only need to exceed the pressure difference between the well pressure and the water pressure.
    The expanded bladder will restrick the flow to a low enough level, that they can case the well head in concrete.
    Actually I would look at at a string of bladders.
    the pressure at the oil head is 500 times that at the surface, this is now turned into the USA worst enviromental disaster, so once again i can say that some of the most expierienced people in the world will be working on a soloution to this, i wish it was as simple as inflating a ballon in the pipe, but i can bet if it was as easy as this they would have done it, i can only hope they come up with the answer sooner rather than later, as a frequent visitor to the gulf i am hoping that the thing is contained soon.

the pressure at the oil head is 500 times that at the surface, this is now turned into the USA worst enviromental disaster, so once again i can say that some of the most expierienced people in the world will be working on a soloution to this, i wish it was as simple as inflating a ballon in the pipe, but i can bet if it was as easy as this they would have done it, i can only hope they come up with the answer sooner rather than later, as a frequent visitor to the gulf i am hoping that the thing is contained soon.
    Firstly surface pressure is nothing to do with it, it is pressure differential with the water at that depth.
    It is as simple as blowing up a ballon. The techincal problem is how quick you can blow the ballon up. As the ballon is increasing in size it will be forced out.
    Other issues include over coming the lubricating effect of the oil on the inner of the tube. They have the world experts in the oil feild, they just do not have "me". I am employed by people to find solutions where solutions can not be found.
    In most cases solutions are simple, but simply overlooked, because they are simple!

Mmmm i stand corrected, its good to know we have people on here we can all fall back on when the going gets tough maybe someone within your organisation can come up with a soloution as to why we Scots cant get a football team to the finals of the world cup

Mmmm i stand corrected, its good to know we have people on here we can all fall back on when the going gets tough maybe someone within your organisation can come up with a soloution as to why we Scots cant get a football team to the finals of the world cup
    Sorry can not give away our soccer secrets, already given to the All Whites (NZ) seemed to have worked, they are in the world cup.
    Well, I might just give two tips
    1; Put the round ball in the oppossions goal
    2; Stop the round ball going in your goal.

I guarantee (money back) if you did this in every match you would be in the world cub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast