Thread: self fit help?

woollsy Guest

self fit help?

Hi, I have just (foolishly?) purchased a 12,000 btu 'self fit' ashp. I am hoping to heat most of my bungalow with it.

I have to choose between the following two locations for the internal unit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |.................. |............ option B........... |................ |................... |
    | ..................| ...................................| BATHROOM |................... |
    |. BEDROOM... |............ LOUNGE........... |..................|.. KITCHEN.... |
    |.................. |................................... |................ |................... |
    |.................. |................................... |....---------|.................. |
    | ...................................option.A....... .........................................|
    -----------------------------------------------...---------------------

Aplogies for the diagram!

Option A looks ok, I can set the louvres to swing left and right... But im not sure how acute/obtuse the angle will be. The doorways are in a staight line along the bottom wall. But they are all very close (6inches) to the wall)

If I have the swing setting on Option B will it travel to any other rooms?

The outside unit has an ideal location near option B

If there is not much between the two options B is easier for that reason.

(P.S.I cannot place the unit above any of the doorways. not enough space left above unit)

I also think it may not be as straight-forward to fit as implied....

Could anyone give me a ball park figure on how much it would cost to get a RE to fit in a 'self fit system'
    opinions appreciated

Many thanks

Re: self fit help?

Hi, First of all 12000 btu is only good for a room of about 30 sq m, anything over this the unit would probably not work and keep breaking down.
    Also most of the DIY units wont work in cold winters of below about +5C.
    I you have explained to the company you purchased this unit from how many rooms you were wanting this to cover and is mainly for heating I would go back and get a refund and put the money towards having a professional system installed.

You really should have sought advise before you purchased it.

You are going to need at least 3 to cover that air distribution into the other rooms, what size units I do not know.

You may get away with 2 units, one positioned outside the lounge and the bedroom and then the other outside the bathroom and kitchen blowing towards the doors.

I am not sure what you mean by the doors being close 6" to the wall?

YOu have bought a 1200btu unit which is 3.5kw of heating.

Ask yourself this... would a 3kw fan heater heat your bungalow?

It would not so you are asking it to do the impossible.

Do a load calculation based on the number of rooms and sizes etc.

This is a rough guide and you would still need an engineer to calculate exactly the size required.

http://www.heatbusters.com/heating/heating-calculator
    Last edited by back2space; 28-04-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyh View Post
    Hi, First of all 12000 btu is only good for a room of about 30 sq m, anything over this the unit would probably not work and keep breaking down.
    Also most of the DIY units wont work in cold winters of below about +5C.
    The unit isnt likely to break down because it isnt big enough for the job it just means it is going to be running all the time as it will never achieve the required room temperature.

its like putting a fan heater in your house and expecting it to heat the whole house, that is what your doing with your air con unit.

Yes you are correct that pretty much all diy units wont work below 5C.
    Last edited by back2space; 28-04-2010 at 03:36 AM.

A 3.5kw unit could work as usually the ratings for heating are higher than cooling so say 4kw. If that bungalow is well insulated then you could get away with 2 easily id say. One at position B, and one in the hallway to kitchen perhaps. As back to space says get 2 2kw fan heaters, place them in postion B and see whether that works. Of course we are coming into summer now so there may be no way of knowing. Remember the outputs drop as it gets colder and it may only output 2.5 or 3kw at 0 degrees celcius.

They arent that easy to fit and getting a professional in may be money well spent. However if you are handy and buy the correct tools it can be worthwhile fitting yourself.
    Last edited by lomb; 28-04-2010 at 08:27 AM.