Aga freezer L245-R2 defrosting issues and RCD tripping

Like a recent poster, Dingaling, I own the above impressive (and expensive) Aga freezer. It's had repeated problems with defrosting over the 18 months we have owned it. It had a defrost heater mat already fitted according to the first engineer's report. Subsequent visits have led to re aligning drip tray, increasing termination temp from 5-10 degrees and removing the klixon to allow the defrost to operate on temperature probe and time.

The defrosting seems to have been OK for a while but
    We spoke to Aga a few days ago and they indicated there was another defrosting revision available. Is this true?

Our current problem is the freezer keeps tripping the RCD. We've tried it on 3 RCD circuits and it does it on all of them possibly associated with defrosting but not sure. Is tripping an RCD a known problem with this model?

It seems Aga hadn't appreciated the L245A freezer had problems until the servicing in England moved from Williams (the manufacturer) to another company who presumably reported issues to Aga. In Scotland (where we are) it is still Williams doing the servicing. So we speak to our supplier who speaks to Aga who gets in touch with Williams who phone to arrange an appointment. Actually, this works well though it seems tortuous.

Re: Aga freezer L245-R2 defrosting issues and RCD tripping

if an rcd trips you have a unit fault 99% of the time or an incorreclty rated rcd fitted
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

The RCD tripping turned out to be associated with defrosting - new part on order.

There was confusion re the defrosting mat. the first engineer visit a year ago recorded the revised defrosting mat had been fitted. Aga noted this, but somehow the engineer was told to fit the revised mat and came suitably equipped. He had not been told about the RCD tripping and had not got the information that a revised mat had been fitted to the fridge before delivery.

Anyway hopefully this will result in a fully functional unit.

Hope it fixed it. I just updated my other post, since mine iced up and needed the mat revision. I am hoping this is good now for a few years. Don't feel comfortable with it though and will monitor the max/min temp values from time to time.

Just had to defrost it again, manually. Solid with Ice in the chiller - no chance for the defrost cycle to manage it. See the other post at http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...d-Codes-needed

oh thanks for links, it really helps