johnfrench10 Guest

Fridge died after moving house

Hello

My Beko fridge/freezer died after moving house and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to say if they think it might be worth fixing.

It is a cheap Beko fridge/freezer and is 6 years old but worked perfectly until I moved house this week. I plugged it in at the new house straight away before someone told me I should let it settle. It was only on for about 5 mins then I turned it off for about 3 hours. It was transported vertically.

The compressor now seems to run continuously and the fridge never gets cold. Listening at the back it sounds a buit like a water feature (a constant trickling sound). There is no sign of any damage.

If this sounds like it can be fixed fairly cheaply then I will do it but if not then it is probably not worth the call out charge.

Thanks very much, John

Re: Fridge died after moving house

transported verticly, = ok but unfortunatly I bet it was carried horizontally , its a good bet that the compressor has fallen off itssprings whilst it was being carried = new comp , or throw it away, legally.

If its not the thermostat then get a new one for gods sake they aren't worth fixing.
    The Bridge Keeper
    'Answer me these questions three, n'er the other side ye see.'
    What is your name?
    What is your favourite colour?
    What is your suction superheat?

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrench10 View Post
    Hello

My Beko fridge/freezer died after moving house and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to say if they think it might be worth fixing.

It is a cheap Beko fridge/freezer and is 6 years old but worked perfectly until I moved house this week. I plugged it in at the new house straight away before someone told me I should let it settle. It was only on for about 5 mins then I turned it off for about 3 hours. It was transported vertically.

The compressor now seems to run continuously and the fridge never gets cold. Listening at the back it sounds a buit like a water feature (a constant trickling sound). There is no sign of any damage.

If this sounds like it can be fixed fairly cheaply then I will do it but if not then it is probably not worth the call out charge.

Thanks very much, John

Hi John.

It could be a few things..

Firstly I would look at how it was carried. If a pipe was damaged at the back then what
    you are experiencing would be a symptom of loss of refrigerant.

Secondly it could be the workings of the compressor itself. The comp might not be pumping
    for some reason and that also would explain the symptoms.

Running it after moving would have little effect, more than likely it was pure coindidence
    (assuming a pipe has not been fractured) and the fact that it was turned off and alowed
    to warm up was the straw that broke the camels back, for it.

Six years is a good life for a fridge and if you spent money on it chances are other components
    would be on their way out as well.

Its a sad world but it is a throw away item because any of the above faults would more
    than likely cost more to repair than a new one would cost to buy.

All the best taz

Last edited by taz24; 08-04-2010 at 07:53 AM.

If in doubt chuck it out.