Thread: Headache.

Headache.

Hello all.

Have a problem with techs not being able to recall exactly what parts they used on larger service jobs.

It irritates me no end to check on every job and make sure that everything is accounted for.What am I their mother?

I think the problem is they finish the job and have their mind on the next job,then when it's time for paperwork they suddenly develop dementia.

I am aware as I am sure as everyone else is you can't afford to give parts, gas, etc to customers for no charge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Re: Headache.

Hi Temprite,

When ordering up the parts for the job, you could include the job number on the order no, obviously you will also have to order the can stock parts as well but at the end of the day the engineer will require replacements for anything he has used out of his van.
    This will enable you to check parts against the advice note from the supplier and the engineers jobsheet.

This isn't a new problem you have, it's been going on years and there isn't a great deal you can do about it apart from keep telling engineers to book everything out.

Regards

Fatboy

Funny.... I have this problem with myself. I thought about keeping inventory on the computer and using a handheld computer in the truck to bill everything as it's used. Every item would have to be received and billed or the count will not be accurate. Does anybody else out there use these management systems? I have researched several but the cost is substantial. I'm going to stick it out for now with the old paper system and hope I don't forget anything. The other problem with this method of inventory control is forgetting to reorder parts that should be in stock. That is one big advantage of computer control. Comments?

Thumbs up Re: Headache.

I have been using Quick Books..I had my accountant customize the fields for me. I have been able to stay on top of parts etc...I just started using a laptop in my van. The key to this system is YOU HAVE TO ENTER EVERY DAM THING EVERYDAY!!!!!

Come tax time I haave all my ducks in a row.
    Come the end of the month I can track my sales and inventory with a simple graph...it's great

Good Luck
    Paul Paxson
    PAX Commercial Refrigeration
    pawpax@verizon.net

"The early Bird get's the worm, But the second mouse get's the cheese"

Sory I-m enter in your discution
    Give them (tech). 0,2% from price of every items use ,and I am sure you will see a change.

Quote Originally Posted by rdocwra
    Hi Temprite,

When ordering up the parts for the job, you could include the job number on the order no, obviously you will also have to order the can stock parts as well but at the end of the day the engineer will require replacements for anything he has used out of his van.
    This will enable you to check parts against the advice note from the supplier and the engineers jobsheet.

This isn't a new problem you have, it's been going on years and there isn't a great deal you can do about it apart from keep telling engineers to book everything out.

Regards

Fatboy
    Thanks for the comments all.
    Rdocwra.
    I think when it your own money at stake it's amazing how easily you can recall what parts where used.

We do put the job number on the order and that does help with larger items.But as you said it is the stock items that are the trouble.

The techs still invoice their own jobs and carry invoice books,but when it gets really busy the paperwork gets behind.

Sometimes I think it would be more efficient to relieve them of their invoicing duties.At least I would know that they would be getting done promptly.

Pax*****.
    We use quickbooks.But as you said if you dont put the items into your laptop everyday it's not going to work.
    Because it's your company you will take the extra steps to make sure that it is done properly.

Any comments welcome.
    Regards.

Hey the guy from Romania hasn't got very good english... but he's got a good idea. A small commission on every item would definitely improve the likelihood everything gets billed!

I call it "Incentive". .... What's wrong with that???

Smile Re: Headache.

Hello all.

We operate on a system of hand written invoices.
    This may be OK when you are a single operator.

Sometimes when it gets busy techs overlook their obligation to do paperwork and even though they do end up doing it they are sometimes weeks late.

I have been trying to think of a billing method which is far more efficient and gets the invoices out more promptly

Does anyone know anything about Palm pilots?I have never used one.

Does anyone consider hand written invoices a thing of the past?

Out of all the subscribers to this forum there must be someone out there that has a foolproof method of invoicing that gives you no grief.

Your help would be appreciated.

On every job we fill out a service sheet and get the customer to sign for the work and time.

When our copy of this sheet is handed in to the office (on a daily basis) one of our girls raises an invoice and attaches a copy of the service sheet to it before posting to the customer.

A few days/weeks later the cheque pops throught the door

Foolproof!

Thanks for the post Frank.I was interested in how other people were doing it and this was just the feedback I was looking for.Do you do any of the pricing of parts or is it all done by the girls?

I presume you would record the parts used on the service sheet and the girls would price it.This has always been the way that it was done in other companies I have worked for.

We do all our own pricing on the invoice and personally I think this holds you up from getting to the next job.

I suppose one benefit from invoicing on the job is that you sometimes get paid straight away.

The reason I started this thread is because i thought that someone out there might know of a system that operates like a well oiled machine,because i dont think our system does.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank
    A few days/weeks later the cheque pops throught the door
    In a perfect world.

I presume you would record the parts used on the service sheet and the girls would price it.
    That's it exactly. The engineers are given a service sheet if they are going out on planned maintenance - which is generated by our "Service Manager" software package and they also carry a book of service sheets for breakdowns/call outs etc. These list the work carried out and parts used.

The girls do the pricing of parts/chemicals/gasses etc. from the returned sheets.