Anyone know how to stop a window AC holding too much water?

I know they are designed to hold some water and sling it up to the condenser, but sometimes they hold to much and water starts overflowing out the sides.
    As soon as the unit is stopped the unit drains clear, but while it's running it won't drain.
    This window rattler is above a doorway so the owner wants me to do something to stop all the water dripping everywhere and make it go down the drain.

Re: Anyone know how to stop a window AC holding too much water?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    I know they are designed to hold some water and sling it up to the condenser, but sometimes they hold to much and water starts overflowing out the sides.
    As soon as the unit is stopped the unit drains clear, but while it's running it won't drain.
    This window rattler is above a doorway so the owner wants me to do something to stop all the water dripping everywhere and make it go down the drain.
    Hi paul is there a decent slope on it to allow for drainage I have also seen a galavanized tray that the unit sits on

Norm
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

Trap the drain line.
    Last edited by Gary; 24-03-2010 at 05:01 AM.

The fact that it drains freely when off but not when running means the fan is creating a suction which stops the water from draining.

A trap in the drain line counteracts that suction with a siphoning effect, allowing the drain to flow.

Blog Entries

The fact that it drains freely when off but not when running means the fan is creating a suction which stops the water from draining.
    They are designed to do that (create pool of water in condenser part). They splash some water with fan blades to evaporator to help in condensation in hot climates. These units could work even when outdoor temperature is higher than 45°C.
    You should hear slapping of fan blades at water if there is enough water in outside unit.
    A trap in the drain line counteracts that suction with a siphoning effect, allowing the drain to flow.
    It will not do anything because unit drain pan is open to outside air. Holding action is produced by placing drain pan in air flow so fan is blowing directly in that pan, and hold some water for blades to pick it up.
    @Paul
    Check that unit is not too much sloped (and therefore overflows bin) , and check instalation manual.
    My Fujitsu "window shaker" AFY16 is designed like that and it is sloped only 3-4mm.
    Last edited by nike123; 24-03-2010 at 09:15 AM.

it's installed right, very slight slope, and I know it's supposed to hold water when the fan is running.
    But this unit doesn't flow any water down the drain pan when it's running , not a drop.
    To the point that water drips from the back of the unit on everyones head rather than just a little gets past the fan and into the proper drain. Also the fan flinging it out the side vents onto everyone.
    Is there anyway for it to not hold so much water?

edit: Also does water have too build up until it's at a level where it overflows through the fan cowling? I can't see how water even gets past the fan or under the cowling in the axt24ads
    Last edited by paul_h; 24-03-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Is pan recently cleaned?
    I clean my entire unit by sliding it out of case and wash with hose every year.
    Last edited by nike123; 24-03-2010 at 06:41 PM.

it's installed right, very slight slope, and I know it's supposed to hold water when the fan is running.
    But this unit doesn't flow any water down the drain pan when it's running , not a drop.
    To the point that water drips from the back of the unit on everyones head rather than just a little gets past the fan and into the proper drain. Also the fan flinging it out the side vents onto everyone.
    It drains when the unit is off, therefore...

Trap the drain line.
    Last edited by Gary; 24-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries

edit: Also does water have too build up until it's at a level where it overflows through the fan cowling? I can't see how water even gets past the fan or under the cowling in the axt24ads
    2. Your air conditioner also acts to dehumidify the
    room air and to expel the water produced, therefore
    drops of water emitting from the outside of
    the unit is quite normal.
    http://www.fujitsugeneral.co.nz/scri...manual_id=1212

Wink Re: Anyone know how to stop a window AC holding too much water?

Remove it and install a split system!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It drains when the unit is off, therefore...

Trap the drain line.
    Yes, that's how they work, causing suction on the drain to pick up and sling water at the condenser.
    The problem is the drain is just a small hole on the bottom of the chassis. And nothing can be permanently fixed to the chassis if you want to be able to slide in/out the unit for servicing.
    The greater problem though is that water has to build up to the level of the fan cowling, and spill over it into the fan area I think. That is what is causing water to spill elsewhere rather than build up to to flow over the fan cowling.
    Nevermind, I fixed it in my own special way, accidently broke the fan slinging ring
    I'm having a very bad summer, losing a lot here and there for various reasons, going insane

paul,
    Like gary said, install a trap.
    I know you say that you can not get anything on it but i have used a few different things over the years some of which at the back of the unit between the chassis and the casing you can either fit a funnel, like one you would use in a kitchen.
    The other thing you can use in addition to a trap is a guide wire which usually allows the water to track down.
    Best bet would be a funnel with a trap connected to it..

what brand is it? i know the water is designed to sling but on occassions like you have i have removed the rubber drain float thing so it can drain straight out i know this causes issues for the sling effect but it does work as water drains out without restriction just a thought some brands may not have this feature