Thread: 34m

34m

Hello all.

Has anyone heard of a drop in refrigerant called 34m by Origin energy.

A wholesaler came round and gave us a bottle to try,claims that it will solve all the problems that we have had with other drop ins.

I think I hear this from all of the manufactures of their gasses.

Re: 34m

it will solve all the problems that we have
    Looks like the future is already here!

Chemi

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Well, it's supposed to have been around since late 2002 and "Glory be!" it's an 'enhanced' R134a product.

What with a bit of Isobutane and a dash of Propane and not forgetting the secret 'additive' at <0.05% it seems like a super product.

I should be careful though, it is supposed to pull down so damn fast that you could be frozen stiff before you can get clear of the evaporator
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Tembrite,

Had a similar situation in the mid 90's while working for a large haulage company operating reefers. It all started when R12 was no longer available and a gas company come into us and gave us a load of gas to use in units (Carrier Thunderbirds) to be exact which according to them was THE miricle drop in.
    I think the gas was R49 but can't remember that far back.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we converted about a dozen units and within a month all of them had blown the compressors. It later turned out that this new gas was ok on chill but as soon as it was used below 0c it caused oil migration to the evaps and starved the compressors./ Now anyone thats worked on these will tell you that Thunderbird compressors are not small and it ended up costing us a fortune replacing them unit Ransomes come up with another gas (RS-24 rings a bell)

What i am trying to say is OK give this new gas a try buy try and make sure that if you have problems with it the supplier will back you up so you don't end up paying if there are any comebacks.

Regards

Faboy

Thanks for the comments all.

I am on call this weekend and the bottle is sitting in my van.I am sure that I will get a chance to use it some time in the near future.I will make a post on how it goes.

A couple of other things.

The supplier reckons that you can mix it in a system with existing drop ins.(401a 409a)Thats got to be rubbish,I wont be trying it.

It's cheaper!!!!!!

Regards.