Smile How many Fridgies have ACS certification

Hi all. Frostycold here. I'm currently available for work & in my job hunting I'm continuously coming accross jobs that are asking for 17th edition & ACS gas. I'm therefore curious as to how many of my fellow fridgies have the ACS & of those who have which gas certs do they have? I personaly have not met any RAC engineers who have ACS & my experience of Combustion engineers is that on average they're not very strong on electrics & apart from filter cleaning have no RAC knowledge. I accept that the 17th edition is a requirement & will do it myself as soon as I start work again but the ACS is new to me. I'm particularly interested in UK trends.

Re: How many Fridgies have ACS certification

We are Gase Safe Registered , Approved NICEIC Contractors, Oftec Registered & obviously Refcom but then we have been going a long time and do a variety of works

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Frostycold View Post
    Hi all. Frostycold here. I'm currently available for work & in my job hunting I'm continuously coming accross jobs that are asking for 17th edition & ACS gas. I'm therefore curious as to how many of my fellow fridgies have the ACS & of those who have which gas certs do they have? I personaly have not met any RAC engineers who have ACS & my experience of Combustion engineers is that on average they're not very strong on electrics & apart from filter cleaning have no RAC knowledge. I accept that the 17th edition is a requirement & will do it myself as soon as I start work again but the ACS is new to me. I'm particularly interested in UK trends.
    Coo, fighting talk if ever I heard it.

I think it depends on which way the wind was blowing as to which comes first.

I learnt my AC stuff from a CITB trainer and later did my Gas safety stuff.

I still have Commercial Gas and of course F-Gas tickets.

Trouble is now that boiler controls are getting as complicated as AC stuff.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 11-03-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Damn, spelling/grammar again.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Quality
    Thanks for the feedback but I really need to know if (a) Individuals have Gas (not refrigerant) qualifications & (b) which ones?

Thanks
    Frostycold

Yes two chaps have got the core (pipework) and boilers upto 70Kw

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I've got commercial gas, +70kW, pipework, purging, blown etc.
    Retired March 2015

I have ACS CCN1, CEN1,CKR1,CPA1 and HTR1. Am G3 compliant plus Oftec OFT101pressure jets OFT102, vaporising burners, OFT600a and OFT105e, 17th edition and the Inspection and testing thingy that I can never remember its number.... Gas men having a problem with electrics, indeed.... Outside Now!
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    I have ACS CCN1, CEN1,CKR1,CPA1 and HTR1. Am G3 compliant plus Oftec OFT101pressure jets OFT102, vaporising burners, OFT600a and OFT105e, 17th edition and the Inspection and testing thingy that I can never remember its number.... Gas men having a problem with electrics, indeed.... Outside Now!
    I'll hold him down for you.
    Retired March 2015

Being an international forum, what the hell are you all talking about.
    magoo

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Being an international forum, what the hell are you all talking about.
    magoo
    Beating the crap out of Frostycold....
    Karl

Magoo, Frostycold wanted to know how many of us had qualifications to work on Gas fired heating appliances..

He then suggested that some gas men are a little challenged when it came to working on electrical systems, which to be honest some of them can be... But don't tell Frostycold....
    Karl

having the 2381 17th edition does not mean you are qualified to work on electrical systems most people ask for you to be registered with an appropriate body ie niceic etc to self certify and register your work

sounds like a plumber with an electrical license,then again ive come across electricians that cant read a basic wiring diagram i think fluro lighting circuit was about their limit
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Joking aside, there always seems to be a grey area when two or more trades come close together say like the electrical work on a refrigeration unit.... The fridgie will know what needs to be done as he does it day in day out whereas the Sparks who normally does other types of work. although qualified, won't be familiar with the equipment, so it pays for the fridge man to be qualified for electrics. Under certain circumstances it is perfectly fine for a sparks to replace a PCB in a boiler, unless that particular PCB needed to be set up to give the correct burner pressures, in which case he would need to be a registered Gas fitter... Similarly, although I am qualified and registered for electrics, I really wouldn't be up to the job of wiring up a major installation but would be happy to do all of the gas work.... It is simply a case of having a core profession and adding on the qualifications that you would need to aid you in that core profession...

Ground source heat pumps further add to the confusion, when is breaks, do you call a Heating engineer, a Refrigeration engineer or an Electrician? The guy that you call will have to be all three..
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by freezetech View Post
    having the 2381 17th edition does not mean you are qualified to work on electrical systems most people ask for you to be registered with an appropriate body ie niceic etc to self certify and register your work
    Yes you are qualified, you just aren't registered. Without your qualifications, you cannot be registered... Registration of any kind is a scheme to enable non productive people who like to carry clip boards and wear perfectly clean high viz tabards and nice shiny bump caps to be kept off the dole queue and get the end user to pay for it...
    Karl

I know loads of good electritians whos work is very good but most electritians have not got a clue when it comes to control circuits. Thats where a decent fridge guy needs the 17th so he can work on the stuff that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    I've got commercial gas, +70kW, pipework, purging, blown etc.
    PS post 3 you already told us this

but my dog is blacker that yours

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    Yes you are qualified, you just aren't registered. Without your qualifications, you cannot be registered... Registration of any kind is a scheme to enable non productive people who like to carry clip boards and wear perfectly clean high viz tabards and nice shiny bump caps to be kept off the dole queue and get the end user to pay for it...
    this qualification is only part of being a fully qualified electrician which takes approx 4 years , the 17th ed is a weeks course and you obtain another cert then you go and do 2391 another cert so you say you are qualified after the 17th ed no wonder people are still being injured by dodgy tradesmen who think one certificate and a weeks course and they are qualified

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    PS post 3 you already told us this
    Not directly, but if you know your Gas then yes.

Stands in corner, head down.
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by freezetech View Post
    this qualification is only part of being a fully qualified electrician which takes approx 4 years , the 17th ed is a weeks course and you obtain another cert then you go and do 2391 another cert so you say you are qualified after the 17th ed no wonder people are still being injured by dodgy tradesmen who think one certificate and a weeks course and they are qualified
    Unfortunately If you have your 17th, have passed a trade test that the registering bodies have set and will charge you handsomely for and have the correct test gear and insurance, then you can call yourself a sparky.... It's no longer about safety, it's about making money..... you too can be a registered sparky in just two weeks... For what it's worth, they are doing similar fast track courses for gas work also and the F gas registration is so simple that if you failed your refrigerant handling test, then you would have no right to be allowed to live..... these certificates and registrations mean nothing.

You can always tell when a proper sparkie has wired up a Y plan heating system..... You can't have heating without hot water and it is all wired up in twin and earth...
    Last edited by Karl Hofmann; 14-03-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Karl

i agree days have gone when you need to spend years doing the work from the bottom up and getting all the qualifications when you can sit a two week course and do the same work and we ask ourselves when we visit a job that has problems and you look in amazement when you see the quality of the work and you ask who s been there and they say he is registered and you think who the hell is check the work and why are we paying all these registration fee,s if there is no control are these goverment scheme s really for the better i think not, my opinion no proper qualifications should mean you should not be doing the work and get caught pay the price