A school task, needs help

Hello guys!
    I am a 17 year old boy from Norway, and we have gotten a task at school about refrigerants.

Since I am quite new to refrigeration I am not so known to all of the different refrigerants.

The task is where you would use the different types of refrigerants.

I need to know when you choose for example R404A as refrigerant.

R744, R134a, R717, R22, R600a, R404A, R401A and R410A is the refrigerants i need information about.

If it is used to cooling or freezing.

If you have any good links or information it would help me a lot.

Sorry if my english is bad

Thank you.

Re: A school task, needs help

Hi , the refrigerant gases section of the boconline.co.uk site has product & application information. Hope it helps.
    Barry J. Lyons, F.Inst.R.
    BOC UK & Ireland

'Ask Barry' at gas2010.com

Thank you very much!
    That site was very usefull
    But I didn't find the information I was looking for on R401A and R22.

Do you have any information about theese?

Are they used for air conditioning, cooling, freezing etc?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

R22 is no longer is use for new equipment in the EU.

It was used for low temperature freezers, cold rooms and also air conditioning system.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    R22 is no longer is use for new equipment in the EU.

It was used for low temperature freezers, cold rooms and also air conditioning system.
    Allright, thank you!

R22 is on it's way out in Norway to. By 2015 it is not allowed to run equipment using R22.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderNH View Post
    Hello guys!

R744, R134a, R717, R22, R600a, R404A, R401A and R410A is the refrigerants i need information about.

Sorry if my english is bad

Thank you.

744 is C02 and can be used in high or low temp applications but it is a high pressure refrigerant.
    134a (HFC) is a small comercial and domestic refrigerant for fridges and freezers and is used in car air conditioners (it can also be used in large industriasl chillers).
    717 in Nh3 or Ammonia, mainly industrial application, high or low temp but it is toxic to humans.
    22 is a (HCFC) and is being phased out in Europe, 22 can be used in any temp range.
    600a is propaine based and is a (HC) which is flamable.
    410a (HFC) is a common air-conditioning refrigerant that has become more popular over the last decade, but it does of a higher opperating pressure's than all other HFC's
    401a not too sure about.

All the best cool runnings

Most refigerants are picked because of there ability to transfer energy (heat) and because of the pressures they work at and because they do or do not mix with oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by cool runings View Post

744 is C02 and can be used in high or low temp applications but it is a high pressure refrigerant.
    134a (HFC and a pure refrigerant) is a small comercial and domestic refrigerant for fridges and freezers and is used in car air conditioners (it can also be used in large industriasl chillers).
    717 in Nh3 or Ammonia (organic), mainly industrial application, high or low temp but it is toxic to humans.
    22 is a (HCFC and a pure refrigerant) and is being phased out in Europe, 22 can be used in any temp range.
    404a (HFC and zeotropic blend) is a commercialy used refrigerant and is used in low and high temp applications.
    410a (HFC and zeotropic blend) is a common air-conditioning refrigerant that has become more popular over the last decade, but it does of a higher opperating pressure's than all other HFC's
    401a not too sure about.

Thank you very much guys!
    Must say that I am impressed by all of the knowledge on this forum. I think refrigeration is a very interesting subject, and I cant wait to start working with it (probably in the start of july).

Hi, cool runings

134a (HFC) is a small comercial and domestic refrigerant for fridges and freezers and is used in car air conditioners (it can also be used in large industriasl chillers).
    717 in Nh3 or Ammonia, mainly industrial application, high or low temp but it is toxic to humans.
    22 is a (HCFC) and is being phased out in Europe, 22 can be used in any temp range.
    410a (HFC) is a common air-conditioning refrigerant that has become more popular over the last decade, but it does of a higher opperating pressure's than all other HFC's
    401a not too sure about.

all refrigerants are toxic to human

...the difference is...R717/NH3/ammonia is telling us (by its smell) "be careful I'm here, don't approach without protection"...others are silent killers, unfortunately not only to humans...

...the best one refrigerant is water, but can be dangerous too....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, cool runings

all refrigerants are toxic to human

...the difference is...R717/NH3/ammonia is telling us (by its smell) "be careful I'm here, don't approach without protection"...others are silent killers, unfortunately not only to humans...

...the best one refrigerant is water, but can be dangerous too....

Best regards, Josip
    Maybe you are right, but it is playing with words.
    I was offering genral advise to answer the lads question.

The concentration levels of ammonia quickly lets you know that it is present, it slaps you in the face.

cool runnings

Hi, cool runings

Maybe you are right, but it is playing with words.
    I was offering genral advise to answer the lads question.

The concentration levels of ammonia quickly lets you know that it is present, it slaps you in the face.

cool runnings
    your answer to the lad is correct ...

mine too, playing or not with the words, it is real believe me

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, cool runings

your answer to the lad is correct ...

mine too, playing or not with the words, it is real believe me

Best regards, Josip
    The thing with ammonia that makes me smile is something an old time engineer once told me.

He said

Ammonia is fantastic as a refrigerant and it loves us, trouble is it loves us too much and it want's to be intimate with us in ways we don't want

It sure does love our damp areas

taz

To choose one refrigerant over another, you need to look at the temperatures you are using and the pressures the refrigerant will see at those temperatures. You also need to look at the theoretical discharge pressure for the refrigerants at ambient conditions. You want as much as possible to choose a refrigerant that will have a positive pressure at the lower temperatures so you are not sucking air into the system. You also want to make sure that the refrigerant you choose does not have a discharge temp or pressure that may be too high. Another selection factor is going to be price. In a system that may take 10,000# of refrigerant, do I buy the $16.00/# or the the $0.75/# refrigerant. The hazardous properties of the refrigerant are also an issue. Equipment size and cost may be a factor too. Some regulatory issues with the hazardous material refrigerants may lead some to decide on less efficient higher cost refrigerants, too.