Thread: Flaring tools

Flaring tools

Hi guys I'm new to the forum, I'm a sparky by trade and I'm about to start the TAFE course so that I can get my restricted split system arctick license. I currently have my trainee arctick license and I've been doing some casual work for a bloke doing some split installs under supervision.

The time has come for me to start buying tools and I'm curious about flaring tools - I'm looking at the BBK flaring tool for R410A at heatcraft, I've used one a few times (std. type) and it seems first class quality.

My dilemma is this - everyone seems to use the giant 'wingnut' style flaring tools, but I am drawn to the model that uses what looks like a std 1/4" drive ratchet handle to turn the tool. I was looking at one at heatcraft today and a fridgie that was picking some stuff up spoke to me about it and suggested against it because a mate of his had one and the ratchet handle had died after a 12 month thrashing. The other downside him and others mention is the extra room required to use it (?). I would be using it for domestic installs, and I think the ratchet handle would be a good thing if I'm using it all day as I don't want to get repetitive strain injury, been there done that and certainly don't want to get it working for myself. Price difference is maybe $40, but if this tool is quicker and saves my forearms from RSI I couldn't care less.

What do you guys reckon - to ratchet or not ratchet???

Re: Flaring tools

I've got an ITE flaring tool that is the big wing nut style but also has a hole in the top which you can use a ratchet with, why not get the heatcraft one and if you don't get on with it try another make, at least you will have a spare flaring tool then that may get you out of trouble should your other one go missing or break.

If you are working on R410A, you need an eccentric cone style tool.

Ridgid are my tools, not any complaint after 30 years.

I can get a Ridgid 458R tool for around $235 which is great, over $100 cheaper than the BBK tool I'm talking about - the only problem, does the Ridgid tool make a flare that is R410A compliant? I will only be making R410A flares.

jimbo,
    i've used a BBK flare tool heavily for 5 years and wouldn't use any other brand.

Hi lawrence1, which style BBK do you have? Would you buy the ratchet handle one next time if you lost the one you already have? I guess it won't wear out if it hasn't already!