Howden WRV Compressors

Hi Guys

What is the maximum oil pressure differential above discharge pressure, that can be supplied to these compressors? I got a booster on a 30 year old, two stage package that operates at 80 psi above intermediate pressure. The lowest setting on the regulator is 75 psi. Shouldn't this be down around 30 or 40 psi like the high stage is running?

Thanks

C Ice

Re: Howden WRV Compressors

Hi, CanadianIce

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianIce View Post
    Hi Guys

What is the maximum oil pressure differential above discharge pressure, that can be supplied to these compressors? I got a booster on a 30 year old, two stage package that operates at 80 psi above intermediate pressure. The lowest setting on the regulator is 75 psi. Shouldn't this be down around 30 or 40 psi like the high stage is running?

Thanks

C Ice
    Sounds as very high oil pressure, but if that unit was running for last 30 years maybe is OK - check logs

nominal pressure is 30-65psi (2-4,5 bar)

... in another hand maybe you have broken oil pressure regulator, also if installed oil bypass valve can be broken-closed..

... and as often ... operators will tell you nothing from history - "no Ser, until few days everything was perfect, no problem at all" just to see how smart are you... .. .... I've been there many times ...

try to check all ... maybe oil is too cold ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Agree with josip's advise

If pump is a viking or vican and to much oil pressure , you can
    increase end clearance to make it suit conditions better .

Hi,
    The oil pressure of a standard WRV should be a nominal 30 psi and for WRVH range compressor a nominal 40 psi above gas discharge pressure.

I'm a little confused. Why/how would you boost oil pres. above discharge? What do you mean by intermediate pressure? Is the regulator part of a two stage oil supply to the balance piston? Where are you reading this oil pressure? Ranger, is that what you mean by needing to increase clearance? A booster should have higher clearance anyway. C, has or does the package perform a different duties? This may be an interesting thread.

Howden does not give maximum oil pressures. Fact is that an oil pressure over 2.5 bar (WRV) can cause some trouble in the separator because of too low discharge temperature. This again results in premature shaft seal failure.

And yes Josip, I hear the operators voice again......

Thanks for the replies.

This is a two stage package. The booster discharges directly into the suction of the high stage compressor ( intermediate ). There is no interstage desuperheating. The high stage utilizes a V Plus liquid injection system to maintain high stage discharge temp. The high stage then discharges into the separator. The oil is then pumped by a single pump through the filters and into two oil manifolds, one for each compressor. Each compressor has its own regulator to reduce the oil pressure. All temps and pressures are normal as well as amp draw. My concerns were more about the increased oil flow through the booster which in turn discharges into the high stage screw, increasing the volume of oil passing through this compressor but the readings don't show that there is a real issue.

C Ice