Carrier Chiller Moisture Problem

I look after a Carrier HXC30 chiller that was showing signs of moisture (indicator going yellow). I changed the drier cores, the old ones had a slight damp patch on removal.
    Now the chiller is back online the moisture indicator started to go back to green, however when the chiller shuts down refrigerent floods back from the EEV and the moisture indicator goes yellow again. Now I'm assuming that the moisture is either an evaporator problem and there is chilled water getting into the RF circuit, or the moisture has been in there from comissioning (the plant is not even 1 year old), collecting in the evap and hopefully changing the cores a few times will get rid of it?

Any helpful suggestions / guidance would be great.

Re: Carrier Chiller Moisture Problem

Quote Originally Posted by damo567 View Post
    I look after a Carrier HXC30 chiller that was showing signs of moisture (indicator going yellow). I changed the drier cores, the old ones had a slight damp patch on removal.
    Now the chiller is back online the moisture indicator started to go back to green, however when the chiller shuts down refrigerent floods back from the EEV and the moisture indicator goes yellow again. Now I'm assuming that the moisture is either an evaporator problem and there is chilled water getting into the RF circuit, or the moisture has been in there from comissioning (the plant is not even 1 year old), collecting in the evap and hopefully changing the cores a few times will get rid of it?

Any helpful suggestions / guidance would be great.
    Hi damo, you have a difficult one there, i take it you have sampled the oil usually if there is a lot of moisture the oil turns creamy and the drier cores start to disintregate. When I was in the Mid East we had moisture problems in the refrigerant and we got a lab to take a sample of the refrigerant in this case it was R12 to find out the ppm of moisture. it would need to be a lab that works in the oil and gas industry as they would have the type of equipment to take a sample. It might save you a lot of grief in the long run. Hope this helps.

Toosh
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

Was going to leave it over the weekend and change the cores again, if it continues I will get a sample analysed, does anyone know how detailed the analysis can be i.e. could it tell me if there was glycol in the refrigerent so I can pinpoint if it is chilled water or not?

it would be worth changing the YELLOW indicator just in case it is now contaminated

Quote Originally Posted by damo567 View Post
    Was going to leave it over the weekend and change the cores again, if it continues I will get a sample analysed, does anyone know how detailed the analysis can be i.e. could it tell me if there was glycol in the refrigerent so I can pinpoint if it is chilled water or not?
    you can tell them what you are looking for

Toosh
    My wife used to say you never listen to a word I say at least I think that what she said

I'm quite confident the moisture indicator is accurate (although I am aware they sometimes don't return to green following contamination). As I mentioned the indicator is returning to green when the plant runs (i.e the RF is running through the drier)

what about re refrigerant charge?
    if water is getting in then refrigerant must be getting out if i am correct? does thes chiller work 100load with 50% expansion at 27C Sat cond temp?

flavenido Guest

Contamination of the system may come from a contaminated oil. You may need to check this.