Unhappy Please help: Daewoo Fridge Freezer ERF-364M problem

Hi there,

I have an issue with my (frost-free) fridge freezer whereby the fridge stops cooling, whilst the freezer works fine. I found a thread on this forum, that suggested turning off the freezer for a while. This fixed the issue temporarily, but it returned after a week.

I discovered that the tray above the compressor was full to the brim with water. I have emptied this now.

I suspect that a component is not working properly, but I don't know which one it might be. I don't have much technical knowledge, but I'd like to be able to fix it myself, ordering the necessary parts as required. I have a copy of the manual from Daewoo.

Thanks for any help!!!

Re: Please help: Daewoo Fridge Freezer ERF-364M problem

Check the draining pipes for a anything that might distract the defrost water.

From your explanation of the problem, I suspect that water are freezing in the air ways down to the fridge compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    Check the draining pipes for a anything that might distract the defrost water.

From your explanation of the problem, I suspect that water are freezing in the air ways down to the fridge compartment.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

How would I check the pipes?

1. I don't know Daewoo fridges but there is a pipe which start in the freezer and making its way down to the tray on the compressor.
    It either going through the fridge or going out from the freezer with a U trap to avoid hot\humid air from entering the freezer.

You can blow it to free the obstructions or better, defrost the machine completely and pour from the freezer any cleaning detergent [ not dish washing soap, it will take you ages to get rid of the foam] and hot water.
    Put a bucket at the bottom end of the drainage to collect the dirty water.
    2. Get an engineer to do the job.

it sounds like your defrost timer might have gone. not sure with your model but it's either in a small white box near the compressor or behind the panel on back of the fridge wall inside. there is a small hole in the plastic case sometimes has a little round bit of plastic for a cover, if you turn the dial inside with a flat screwdriver until the compressor cuts out then leave it about an hour to make sure you wait long enough the compressor should come back on if it's working. if it doesn't then you need a defrost timer

I'm going to try some of your suggestions when I get a free moment...

It has been a month since posting here, and the problem has reappeared. Defrosting for nearly two days, and cleaning out the tray above the compressor clearly helped. And for a while the fridge also ran very quietly. Now the noise (of the fan overworking?) is persistent, and fridge is not working, as before...

Will I need to take the fridge apart to investigate the causes suggested?

Thanks

check defrost timer defrost heater and Bi-metal fuse anyone of them go down can cause problems with fridge not cooling

Same has happened again. I took the back off the inside freezer wall, and saw a component that was covered solid in ice. Here is a picture of it after most of the ice has melted...

www(dot)proudspark.co.uk/pics/freezer_element.jpg

This would explain why the fan is so noisy as it was probably hitting the ice?

Is this the compressor?

Is the fuse below this unit?

Any further guesses on what I can do about it?

Thanks all...

The picture is of the evaporator. (gets very cold and icy) above that , top left of pic is a vent. Basically the fridge has no cooling itself, it relies on cold air being blown from the freezer and circulated through vents, one of which is pictured. when fridge needs cooling, a motorised flap will open allowing cooled air to circulate from freezer. when fridge temp is correct, flap closes and so on. Your evaporator will get iced up and to combat this, a heating element sits below the evaporator coils and is energised either through a time sequence controlled by an electronic module or by a mechanical timer. The heater has a themal fuse in series to prevent danger from not cutting out and also, if controlled by electronic pcb, a sensor to tell board when to re-start compressor/ turn heater off.
    If the defrost circuit fails, the evaporator will become choked with ice, thus preventing airflow to fridge. Need to check thermal fuse/heater for continuity (heater will show a resistance). If you are not accustomed to using a multimeter or not sure what you are removing and checking, enlist the services of a professional.

That's great to know 344martin. Fantastic.

After reading notes tb637, I have eliminated the defrost timer as the source of the problem - because after switching it off, after a short while the compressor came back on.

I have found a very useful site which sells the parts, and also has a diagram of assembly:

www(dot)buyspares.co.uk/daewoo/fridge-freezer/erf-364m/catalogue.pl?path=497848%2C108197&model_ref=480532&illustration_ref=404881

and I'm still keen to try and fix it myself...

I've used a multimeter before. One question, will I need to remove the heater/thermal fuse (one unit?) in order to test it?

Thanks

I've got a multimeter coming to visit tomorrow. Any useful tips on how to check the thermal fuse greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The thermal fuse could be a stand-alone item in which case there should be continuity of zero ohms through it. If it is open circuit (i.e. no response from multimeter) it's knack'd. If, as I think is more likely, it is in series with heater you need to identify heater element. It will have two wires attached to it, one live feed and one negative. These in turn will terminate in a plug fitting attached to a corresponding socket protruding from rear wall of cabinet. The thermal fuse may well be part of one of these wires. Disconnect plug from socket and stick probes of multimeter into plug ensuring you make contact with the termials within which are attached to the heater wires. If you measure resistance across these two wires it will show the thermal fuse is ok and likely the heater is ok too. Heater resistance could be anything from 200-600 ohms. If you measure nothing, you will need to replace heater/fuse assembly. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on, keep us posted.

Thanks again for the advice. I tested the multimeter on what I think must be the plug for the thermal fuse (see pic), and got a reading of 0.5 on 200 ohms setting. Does this mean fuse is OK? Here is a picture of what looks like the fuse, and a link to the spare part on website I used for reference.

www(dot)proudspark.co.uk/pics/thermal_fuse.jpg

www(dot)buyspares.co.uk/fridge-freezer/erf-364m/temperature-fuse/product.pl?pid=866101&path=497848,108197&model_ref=480532

I also looked at the heater while everything plugged in, and it showed no signs of glowing or of giving off heat. Does this mean the heater is no good?

Hi again 344martin, just wondered if you'd seen my last post. I'm a little unsure whether I'll need to replace my fuse or not based on the reading on the multimeter. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

winsor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mr_p View Post
    Hi there,

I have an issue with my (frost-free) fridge freezer whereby the fridge stops cooling, whilst the freezer works fine. I found a thread on this forum, that suggested turning off the freezer for a while. This fixed the issue temporarily, but it returned after a week.

I discovered that the tray above the compressor was full to the brim with water. I have emptied this now.

I suspect that a component is not working properly, but I don't know which one it might be. I don't have much technical knowledge, but I'd like to be able to fix it myself, ordering the necessary parts as required. I have a copy of the manual from Daewoo.

Thanks for any help!!!
    Hallo gents
    I have the same problem with my daewoo fridge freezer. I have checkedthe defrost timer and it seems to work. I opened the inside panel and the defrost timer ''motor'' is spinning so I assume its working. I also turned the dial till the compressor stopped runnig and it came back on after 30 mins. Tested the heater and got 360 ohms, tested the fuse and its also working. Is there anything else I am missing?

My unit still having these problems, and I got no further help on this forum. I think I should probably order a new heater.

Winsor - did you resolve the similar issue that you were having with yours?

Thanks.