Steezy Guest

Question Cable Tray installations

Iv installed a huge job using unistrut and Cusion Clamps as my pipe fixing. The client is now saying that i should have used cable tray.... i want to convince him otherwise and i remember someone once saying that by using tray, you have to lift the end of the pipe to braze..therefore kinking the last braze or bending it/weakening it. does anyone have a good argument for this that will help me?

Re: Cable Tray installations

Was there a specification for the job that detailed how the pipework should be supported?

Steezy Guest

Yes, it says tray as a guide line. However, there was no room for tray and a cusion clamp was agreed...now an independant commissioning guy says otherwise! can i use my theory and is there anything to back it up?

Its not called pipe tray is it! Tw*ty customers....

Before i did aircon i never saw pipe fixed on tray, was always ali channel/unisturt and insulclamps or those copper u clips on older installs.

Why not contact the manufacture of the clips you used, i'm sure they would be able to defend the quality and suitability of their products.

*puts on tommy cooper hat, says "pipe clip, clip pipe" *

tray will crush the a/flex
    i always use pipe clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
    Yes, it says tray as a guide line. However, there was no room for tray and a cusion clamp was agreed...now an independant commissioning guy says otherwise! can i use my theory and is there anything to back it up?
    Did you get the variation to the Specification in writing? - if not then you might be up s**t creek without a paddle.

How come it's the commissioning guy that's calling the shots?

have you clamped at 1m intervals? as far as i know BS blah de blah states that pipes under 3/8 must be supported at 1m intervals hence i nearly always use tray...but clamps are more secure, look better and don't crush the armaflex as stated,they are also the only product spefically made for our pipes.

alec

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

As Tony says, the Armaflex will compress when laid on tray.

The effect of the compression is reduced insulation and the threat of condensation forming.

See the Armaflex Installation Manual here....

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/ACwwwAttach.nsf/ansFiles/000-005-00-ENIran.pdf/$File/000-005-00-ENIran.pdf

[edit] Don't know why this link isn't self-clickable but copy/paste it into the address bar.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Cable tray is made for cables.

If it was made for insulated copper tubes it would have had a different name........

Cable tray seems to be the norm were the pipework is visible(Shopfloor).

This is the current spec with most retailers, your Project manager should have the current spec, not the commissioning guy.( i am a commissioning guy)

If it is in the back area, most are fitted on hangers with armaload on them, rather than clamps.

Can you name the customer?

I agree with you Steezy, you have to lift the pipe to braze the joints. Cable tray might be ok for small dia pipe up to 3/8" (putting aside the Armaflex debate) but any larger definitely stresses those joints. I like those Squeezy clamps that hang from studding really quick. Great if they`re out of sight.

swings and rounabouts job,cable tray seems to have sprung to life from the a/c market and to be honest thats about all we use,if you dont pull the tiewraps into the armaflex it seems to make a nice job,we also use 1/2"wall on a/c and glue the joints.

not used clamps for a few years now, that had its problems where the armaflex met the clamp, lumps of ice or condensation. so suppose its down to preferances.

think that guy needs to give you a good reason why your system is not sufficient for the given application.or are they trying to get out of paying.

use cable tray for cable . use pipe clamps,hangers,armaload for the pipe if put in ok it looks good all joints glued not taped painted job done . hate seeing cable ties killing the armaflex .looks like the commissioning guy is doing the snagging
    Last edited by tony--1; 23-02-2010 at 10:27 PM.

If the contact specifed cable trays, then cable trays they want. Any departure from contract spec., should covered with a contract variation. End of story.
    magoo

we dont crush the armaflex,its all done nice and neat and looks as good as any other way. we like it and so do our customers. i dont expect it to be everyones choice but its ours.

For me it's cable tray for small diameter tube as we use soft drawn and its difficult to get it bullet straight on clips. Clips every time for bigger stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandlew View Post
    For me it's cable tray for small diameter tube as we use soft drawn and its difficult to get it bullet straight on clips.
    Maybe there`s an opening for a manfacturer to make a de-coiling m/c Just somthing that would take the curve out of coiled tube. They`re made for coiled steel sheet so why not copper tube.
    Maybe I`ll leave that idea to someone else just like my idea for a computer operating system called Windows...I think a guy called Bill Gates got wind of it, don`t know if he did anything with it though