Marta Liput Guest

Liquid Suction Heat Exchanger

Hi,
    Was wondering if any of you could answer me if liquid suction heat exchanger is a new technology and if it often used in the commercial refrigerator equipment? I read in one article that it is detrimental to systems using R717 as refrigerant, why is it so?

Re: Liquid Suction Heat Exchanger

liquid - suction heaters have been in use for 30 years usualy fitted on systems like cellar cooling , positioned next to the evaporator, I never apreceated them , because it restricted most of the compressor moter cooling, hope this helps,

Marta Liput Guest

Thanks for this info. However, do you know if they are more and more present in these equipment or in contrary? What is the main reason on using them?

monsieur marta, je ne comprends pas
    the heat ex. changer is constructed by winding the small 3/ 8 pipe around the large suction pipe, < this ia manufactured and encased in an alliminium casing this is aprox 1/3 meter long, like I said, I never liked them = the subcooled suction would take the exess heat out of the liquid line and also the warm liquid would be cooled by the suction line, to me it all looks like it is a way of keeping the system running whilst the unit is under maintained, hope this helps
    sedgy

While there is no thermodynamic benefit to a liquid suction heat exchanger, proper application can improve system performance by helping to eliminate flash gas in liquid lines and ensuring dry suction gas to the compressor. There's also a small trick to get a little more capacity from an evaporator by placing the expansion valve bulb downstream of the heat exchanger. Some of the superheat is then realized in the Liquid suction heat exchanger so more of the evaporator surface is wetted.

Marta Liput Guest

Thank you very much for all these explanations!

mademoiselle Marta