Crankcase heater?

Are standard mini splits like a mhi hyperinverter or hitatchi summit fitted with crankcase heaters?If so how many watts are they consuming when the units are off and are they regardless of ambient temperatures?

Are groundsource heatpumps fitted with these and is the parasitic standby consumption calculated into the viability/cop

Re: Crankcase heater?

I've never worked on that kit but standard crank case heaters normally consume 70 -100w
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

it is a terrible negative to heat pumps that isnt marketed. i shall pm a guy on moneysaving expert that has an energy meter hooked up to a hyperinverter to see what it is drawing.

After a few google searches it seems many manufacturers have dropped crankcase heaters or reduced their watts.
    http://www.mhiaa.com.au/docs/MHIAA15...2009%20WEB.pdf
    This is only a 20 watter on upto a 16kw heatpump
    see page 10
    Some of the diakins are 50wattts,makes one wonder!

You can always disconnect it from the circuit. IMEO if a compressor is required to operate on a regular basis even during harsh weather, there is no need for a heater. Frankly for all but the most severe conditions when the unit has not operated for some time (think car left in snow for a week and then asked to start), crankcase heaters are simply .not necessary

Crankcase heater is a needed component in the heat pump, no matter what kind of heat pump.
    The electricity of crankcase heater is 40 to 70w, and when compressor works, it is disconnected from the power. And some HP program design when the compressor exposed temperature is high than some degrees(for example 15 degrees), the crankcase heater is always disconnected.

Up to 5TR Capacity In general Crankcase Heaters are not used. In bigger systems where the refrigerant charge is exceeding the limit and no Liquid solenoid valve provided to arrest the refrigerant migration Crank case Heater is must regardless of the off time and Ambient.

Quote Originally Posted by yangchenchen View Post
    Crankcase heater is a needed component in the heat pump, no matter what kind of heat pump.
    The electricity of crankcase heater is 40 to 70w, and when compressor works, it is disconnected from the power. And some HP program design when the compressor exposed temperature is high than some degrees(for example 15 degrees), the crankcase heater is always disconnected.
    The latest inverter driven compressors trickle a small current through the windings in the off condition to produce heat and prevent liquid migration, instead of using the conventional crankcase heater. The current is controlled by the electronic circuits, and is only produced based on certain parameters, i.e. not all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lomb View Post
    it is a terrible negative to heat pumps that isnt marketed. i shall pm a guy on moneysaving expert that has an energy meter hooked up to a hyperinverter to see what it is drawing.
    I also have my LG multisplit hooked upto an energy meter.

When it was -10C outside the standby power it was drawing was about 40watts maximum for short periods.

The crankcase heater only seems to come on when the external ambient goes below 0.

Alot of units as Frank points out do not now use crankcase heaters at all but instead use a trickle current, when measuring standby power consumption on inverter driven units it is important not to use clamp meters but to instead use a watt hour meter in order to get correct readings. Also the manufacturers compressor heating strategy will need to be accounted for in order to then work out energy consumption and running costs. compressor warming really dosent account for much energy usage at all, we are talking about the same as a 60W light being switched on for 15 - 20 minutes every hour.

I know these postings are really quite old but are really relevant to an ongoing issue I have with Altherma High Temperature 16 kw Heat Pump. Its standby power consumption is 200 w per hour, every hour - it never changes regardless of outside temperature etc. From above doesn't sound right - is it right it should do this?

Any words of wisdom much apprecieated. tks.

Zwed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lomb View Post
    Nice idea dude.,
    its great brand heater,.