Structual Concepts Display case and a phamtom fault

Hello, Its been ages since Ive posted here, but sooner or later, we all need the help of our brothers and sisters in the field.

I am a contractor, that maintains refrigerated Display cases for a well known book store. The Display case in question is a HC5 Structual Concepts Display, designed for Pastries and such.

Here is the problem. The customer reports that occassionally, about 1 time a week, the unit goes into a prolonged defrost cycle, for up to 2 hours, and that the tempreture rises to around 70. This Model of display uses the ESC3 controller, manufactuerd by Computer Process Controlles. All set points are correct, and the controller and probes have been replaced, and still nothing. This controller manages the condensing unit, based on input from the sensors.

The reported error could be a perception on the part of the customer, where staff may be going into the unit during the defrost cycle, but Im at the point of believing nothing short of a data recorder will actually catch this unit in an error. Anyone with knowledge of this controller and display case would be excellant Any help will be most certainly appreciated.

Re: Structual Concepts Display case and a phamtom fault

I think a data logger would be a good idea, the only other thing i can think of is a faulty condenser fan motor as i have seen these fail and cause a warm cabinet on a small bottle cooler. Though im not sure it would then start working ok again for a week.

Re: Structual Concepts Display case and a phamtom fault

Excellant Advice. I know the fan motor was replaced a couple of weeks before I took over this service call...could be the problem.