Co2 refrigerated container

Hi Guys,
    haven't needed anything in awhile,
    maybe someone can help me this time,
    I'd like to build a refrigerated container,
    I have a container supplier and building a standard refrigeration would be no hassle,
    but I'd like to bend the boundaries a bit,
    I'm looking for the right specs to build a CO2 system,
    either transcritical or subcritical whichever is better suited, obviously space is a restraint.

I've done alot of research and quite frankly there are groups that are just plain biast, people who praise the great benefits but in the same sentence warn about how dangerous and difficult they are.
    The pressures are a problem, if the system is on stand-by there's a problem. well if I need a stand-by receiver, how do I set it up so I don't have to 'fix it' after everytime I don't have a load

There are sites dedicated to R744 but they seem more of a marketing gimick than a source of help,
    with their well guarded secrets and their great tact of including a sales pitch in a completely different subject.

....oh ten thousand euro's you say for a 7kw chiller...
    umm. I'll get back to you....

So I'm appealing to the other guys in the room, the practical 'do it guys' :
    Does anyone know
    How am I gona do this?
    Your help would be appreciated
    some specs would be awesome!!

I'd like to produce 2000kgs of ice a day, water at 25 deg, ambient of 38.
    air around -20 deg

So roughly a 20kw set up.

Thank you
    Regards
    Jared

Re: Co2 refrigerated container

I think co 2 is best suited for heatpumps and would not be that energy efficient for low temp applications like ice making.

I made a mini co2 i ice rink when i was a school. No problem to make the ice but we had a lot of problems containing the co2 when the system was on stand by. You can buy 80 bar recievers (holding tank)today (we didnt have the then) so you can contain the load for a longer period before the saftey valve opens. The other problem is that the receiver needs to be huge , I think we had 60l tank for a 1.5kg co2 charge.

So not a good idea then hmmmm.
    that's a pity.
    would have been nice to try something truely environmentally friendly.

thanks guys!

Thats very helgul.. thanx a litz

Thanks a lot...i misspelled in last post sorry for so....
    by the way.. nice post

defender1be Guest

environmentally friendly?
    search on google "climate hoax" and use a bit logic, global warming caused by greenhouse gasses is bull****.
    the extra materials needed for your co2 system and extra energy needed for producing the system and possible extra energy consumption compaired to other refrigerant is mutch worse for the enviroment.
    but if its a sales pitch then forget what i say, custumer beleve the media.
    compare it with the bull**** about the ozon layer, the moment all the regulations ware in place there was no more news about it, while it would be years before the negative effect of the bad refrigeration would be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by defender1be View Post
    environmentally friendly?
    search on google "climate hoax" and use a bit logic, global warming caused by greenhouse gasses is bull****.
    the extra materials needed for your co2 system and extra energy needed for producing the system and possible extra energy consumption compaired to other refrigerant is mutch worse for the enviroment.
    but if its a sales pitch then forget what i say, custumer beleve the media.
    compare it with the bull**** about the ozon layer, the moment all the regulations ware in place there was no more news about it, while it would be years before the negative effect of the bad refrigeration would be reversed.

You quite clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and are regurgitating other people's opinions with a little "Chinese Whispers" thrown in for good measure.

A subcritical Co2 plant, if designed with some sort of common sense DOES NOT draw more energy than a standard R404a plant of the same duty, it is pretty much the same if not a small savings on the Co2 plant. The cost to install is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 to 20% more depending on system configuration which is easily paid back and then some over the life of the plant given annual avg leakage rates and costs of various refrigerants.

The materials used are no different to that of either a commercial or industrial application - depending on system size.

Transcritical represents even better savings.

Climate hoax or not it is a fact that the GWP of Co2 is the second best next to Ammonia, when compared to R404a and R507 it is a no brainer and those that want to waffle on about "climate hoax" etc are probably those that helped coin the phrase "no brainer"
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"