oldpaddy Guest

What would be needed to build an approx 14cu/ft refrigerated box?

I know nothing about refrigeration, but there's no time like the present to learn
    I'm looking to build an insulated refrigerated box under my counter that would be approx 14cu ft and can sustain temps around 36f. What do I need to know about refrigeration to build this box? Condensers, evaporators, thermostat, etc.
    Oh and if I do this I'd like to do it as cheap as possible, so would it be possible to gut an old fridge for parts?
    Thanks for any help guys!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: What would be needed to build an approx 14cu/ft refrigerated box?

HI and welcome to the forum.

First you need to have some insulating material to build the box from.

Insulated doors with good seals.

You then need to calculate the size of the cooling unit that you need and decide on the type of refrigerant to be used in it.

Equipment would be, evaporator/fan unit, condensing unit, expansion device, copper tube-refrigerant quality, thermostat and condensing unit controller.

Tools, oxygen free nitrogen, nitrogen bottle pressure regulator, test gauges, brazing tools, brazing rods, pipe cutters, pipe insulation, manifold gauge set, vacuum gauge, vacuum pump, refrigerant.

Yes you could use old machinery but you need to make sure it is suitable and in working order before you commit time and effort into fitting it.

That should keep you going for a little while Paddy, have fun with but please be careful you are dealing with high/low pressures and high/low temperatures.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by oldpaddy View Post
    I know nothing about refrigeration, but there's no time like the present to learn
    I'm looking to build an insulated refrigerated box under my counter that would be approx 14cu ft and can sustain temps around 36f. What do I need to know about refrigeration to build this box? Condensers, evaporators, thermostat, etc.
    Oh and if I do this I'd like to do it as cheap as possible, so would it be possible to gut an old fridge for parts?
    Thanks for any help guys!
    Without being rude, you need to have a refrigeration contractor involved, I know that this does not help.
    (money wise)
    As you stated you know nothing, if you want to try this by yourself, learn all the basic principles first, then you can ask specific questions.
    For example; how do you wire a joe bloggs thermostat.
    Then all are willing to help.
    Remember that this site is for refrigeration engineers (and guests) we make our livings out of the refrigeration business.
    Good luck in finding a contractor

oldpaddy Guest

Thanks Brian! I really apreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction.

My apologies mad, I didn't realize that I was being rude by posting here. I understand your point and will refrain from posting here unless it's in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpaddy View Post
    Thanks Brian! I really apreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction.

My apologies mad, I didn't realize that I was being rude by posting here. I understand your point and will refrain from posting here unless it's in this thread.
    Hi, old, It was me being rude, not you.
    We do not mind helping, but first you must help yourself, this what I was trying to say.
    Specific questions, more than a broad brush.
    thank you for being understanding