modification of a portable ac into a chiller

hi everyone,
    we are trying to convert a portable ac into a chiller to cool bottles,drinks etc by replacing the existing evaporator coils by a freezer box..the objective is to use it both as an AC as well as a chiller.

is it possible.? kindly provide some details about a portable ac like links/e-books etc.

thanks in advance

Re: modification of a portable ac into a chiller

hi akshay, yes could be a great invention, but without seeing which country you reside I canot guess the ambiant temp if it was me I would use a fridge, for the bottles , hope they are not alcoholic.
    all the very best, sedgy

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    hi akshay, yes could be a great invention, but without seeing which country you reside I canot guess the ambiant temp if it was me I would use a fridge, for the bottles , hope they are not alcoholic.
    all the very best, sedgy
    iam from india and the average ambient temp here is around 28-30deg Celsius..
    also we are not using the chiller for keeping alcoholics, just soft drinks.
    can u please provide some info. about a portable ac.?
    like a photo of the parts inside it(layout) or anything which would be useful..thanks

hi akshay, I am not sure what you intend to do with the portable air con unit? < which you can get on E bay, but like I said a normal fridge would do it best have you any problem with electric supply? if so you could get a gas fridge< calor gas? small pilot light , absortion fridge, no electric requiered , hope this is helpfull
    sedgy,

we are doing this as our project work..just trying to maximize the utilization of a device..could u please post any details of a portable ac..thanks sedgy

I would just duct the cold air into the bottom of the cooler box and out the top, being careful to arrange the bottles/shelves so as not to impede the air flow.

I would install a thermostat near the top of the cooler box and set it just above the temperature of the supply air. I would wire this parallel with the A/C thermostat. The unit would run until both the room air temp is satisfied and the box temp is satisfied. In cool weather, the unit would run just long enough to fill the box with cold air.
    Last edited by Gary; 10-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I would just duct the cold air into the bottom of the cooler box and out the top, being careful to arrange the bottles/shelves so as not to impede the air flow.

I would install a thermostat near the top of the cooler box and set it just above the temperature of the supply air. I would wire this parallel with the A/C thermostat. The unit would run until both the room air temp is satisfied and the box temp is satisfied. In cool weather, the unit would run just long enough to fill the box with cold air.
    thanks gary..great suggestion.! but we haven't seen the parts inside a portable ac unit..can u provide some images/links so that we can see the cross-sectional view.?