Refrigerant recycling

Hello guys i,v seen a few recovery machine models stating that their machines recycle refrigerant, and they have a oil drain tap on them,do they just seperate oil from the refrigerant and clean the gas, what i want to know is how do properly recycle refrigerant, i e if a burn out occures and you want to recycle the refrigerant to re use it again. or is it economical to build something my self to use for recycling . any ideas would be very grateful, thank you

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Refrigerant recycling

I seem to remember that there was a kit that could be attached that had an oil separator and a filter drier.

Don't know about a full recycle but certainly you could clean it up a bit.

Depends on how many times you ran it I suppose.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

given that some refrigerants do not like seperation i would not go down this path.wouldnt you require one machine per refrigerant type.using new refrigerant will drasticly reduce chances of system contaminants
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Hey Dudes
    I used a full recycler at inter-chillers in Syndey to redistill R11 and R123. This machine was built inhouse by the owner. There was another I heard of in Brisbane a Fraction distiller was used here. Depends on how much refigerant you have and the cost of it which makes it worthwhile recycling. Basicly these machine boil off liquid refrigerant at a certain pressure a nd temp which is condensed and filtered.

as long as you the integrity of the refrigerant to start with its ok.
    mmm to beer or not to beer...........lets drink breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by lowcool View Post
    given that some refrigerants do not like seperation i would not go down this path.wouldnt you require one machine per refrigerant type.using new refrigerant will drasticly reduce chances of system contaminants
    Sorry, I just found this thread today. When you distilate refrigerants in a recycling unit, the blend does not suffer any change, since you are only evaporating them in a chamber, where the other liquids, oisl, acids, water, whatever, would remain at the bottom. That's how you can recycle it to a good quality.

In our machine, also, we placed an oil retainer at the exit of our compressor in order to minimize the oil traces that migrate out of the compressor, once the gas has passed through it.

Cleaning properly a system reduces drasticly the contamination to 0%. That's the way to get rid of acids/contamination in a circuit. The recycled gas, which is reused afterwards, doesn't get the system dirty. If you believe the blend has been damaged, there are tools in the market that analyze the blend for you as well. But that's independent from the recycling proccess.

Regards,

Nando.