multi-temperature warehouse

Hi,

I am building a new warehouse that accomodates freezers (-18), chillers (1-4) and ambient (room temperature (generally around 30).

Right now am having a tough time getting the a winning solution on receiving area, after pick and shipping area as products are of different temperature requirement.

Anyone have any ideas how do the big distributors do it? As we get a lot of clients that order different temperature products at the same time.

Please advice

Re: multi-temperature warehouse

Receiving and shipping can be 10 to 15 degrees. Product should not spend much time there so temperature rise from storage to truck is not significant. i usually design evaporators with at least 7-9 degrees TD for this area. Suction then goes to the medium temperature compressors.

Hi Charlie,

do they pick orders straight from respective storage direct to shipping area to consolidate?

or do they place products at after-pick area in each storage room and move the products out to the shipping area and then for loading?

lastly, no problem with the dry products at between 10-15?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie n View Post
    Receiving and shipping can be 10 to 15 degrees. Product should not spend much time there so temperature rise from storage to truck is not significant. i usually design evaporators with at least 7-9 degrees TD for this area. Suction then goes to the medium temperature compressors.
    what do you mean 7-9 degrees TD? please explain more as I am not a technical person.

thanks.

Also i have heard of way to reuse the cold air from freezer/chiller for other rooms - can it be applied in this case to the 10-15 degrees area? using recycle air from freezer and chiller.

thanks

Air recycle from cold areas to warm areas is the worst possible way to efficiently cool a space.
    Most distribution warehouses ship directly from storage to truck. A small after pick area may be necessary if you have less than pallet order picking. If so, 1 to 4 degrees is fine for this.
    Dry products can safely transit the 10 to 15 degree loading dock.