Daikin output overcurrent issue

Hi guys,

I've got an old Daikin FTXD60JVEA outdoor on the roof that has been running fine until recently, but now it has an intermittent issue of the air blowing out of the indoor unit not being cold. Resetting the system by turning the indoor/outdoor off on the fuse box for 30secs or so seems to rectify the issue for a day or so but then it happens again. The indoor unit works as normal, i.e. turns on/off okay etc but the air coming out just isn't cold.

I got on the roof today and noticed LED3 permanently on, which indicates output overcurrent. If I reset the outdoor unit on the roof the LED clears and I can fire it up using the manual override - fan and compressor startup and seem to run okay. Indoor unit has cold air blowing out so all seems fine but clearly there is some intermittent fault somewhere, which would seem to me to be mechanical. Any ideas what might be causing the issue or how I can diagnose?

Thanks,
    Wilson.

Re: Daikin output overcurrent issue

There are a number of things it could be and to be able to try and diagnose it properly there is a number of things needed.

Such as temperatures, pressures, amps of the compressor etc etc

Are the filters clean?
    Is the condensor coil clean?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Yeah I have checked and cleaned the filters and coils, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson77 View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got an old Daikin FTXD60JVEA outdoor on the roof that has been running fine until recently, but now it has an intermittent issue of the air blowing out of the indoor unit not being cold. Resetting the system by turning the indoor/outdoor off on the fuse box for 30secs or so seems to rectify the issue for a day or so but then it happens again. The indoor unit works as normal, i.e. turns on/off okay etc but the air coming out just isn't cold.

I got on the roof today and noticed LED3 permanently on, which indicates output overcurrent. If I reset the outdoor unit on the roof the LED clears and I can fire it up using the manual override - fan and compressor startup and seem to run okay. Indoor unit has cold air blowing out so all seems fine but clearly there is some intermittent fault somewhere, which would seem to me to be mechanical. Any ideas what might be causing the issue or how I can diagnose?

Thanks,
    Wilson.
    Hi,

Could you confirm the full outdoor unit model number? FTXSD is the indoor model.

Apologies, the indoor model is: FTXD60JVEA

Outdoor model is: RXD60JVEA

See attached RXD L5 error diagnosis sheets.

RXD_L5.pdf

with that unit it has got 1 control board and one filter board. you will need to check the compressor current to this unit. check to see if the printed circuit boards have any circuitry of the main board burnt out as this is done on the control board on the left which is an L shape. If it is a board problem and it is by the ocean you should change both boards. Those swing compressors are pretty reliable and with the temperatures that you have been having in Australia i would not be suprised if something is cooked on the board.
    Last edited by brunstar; 03-01-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brunstar View Post
    with that unit it has got 2 control boards. you will need to check the compressor current to this unit. check to see if the printed circuit boards have any circuitry of the main board burnt out as this is done on the control board on the left which is an L shape. If it is a board problem and it is by the ocean you should change both boards. Those swing compressors are pretty reliable and with the temperatures that you have been having in Australia i would not be suprised if something is cooked on the board.
    Best advice.

It will be the control pcb, corrosion was common on these boards, I have changed many. Sometimes the filter PCB is affected. That fault is so common that if you have L5, you can be 99.99% sure it is control PCB. Compressors are very reliable though.

Quote Originally Posted by brunstar View Post
    with that unit it has got 2 control boards. you will need to check the compressor current to this unit. check to see if the printed circuit boards have any circuitry of the main board burnt out as this is done on the control board on the left which is an L shape. If it is a board problem and it is by the ocean you should change both boards. Those swing compressors are pretty reliable and with the temperatures that you have been having in Australia i would not be suprised if something is cooked on the board.
    sorry this post was supposed to say one control and one filter board.

Thanks guys, I am only 300m from the ocean and the unit is 7yrs old. The compressor runs fine on force start so it sounds like something on the control board has got an issue... I've ordered a new one from Daikin. Are there any special precautions in changing over the control board on these units? Everything has plug connectors so I assume it's just a matter of unplugging everything, taking out the old board and plugging up the new one. Should I disconnect the power overnight to let the capacitors on the PSU board discharge completely? Any other advice?

Thanks,
    Wilson.

Are there any special precautions in changing over the control board on these units? Everything has plug connectors so I assume it's just a matter of unplugging everything, taking out the old board and plugging up the new one. Should I disconnect the power overnight to let the capacitors on the PSU board discharge completely? Any other advice?

Thanks,
    Wilson.
    leave it off for about ten mins if it concerns you. Make sure you put new heat transfer paste on board where required. Just unplug the old board and install the new one.

there are 2 sections on the board that will need heat transfer and 3 screws, make sure you remove th old heat transfer and don't over tighten the screws.
    I would be changing the filter board with the control if you are that close to the ocean..

Thanks guys, the board arrives tomorrow and it's supposed to be 43 degrees so fingers crossed the new control board does the trick! I'll update in 24hrs. Thanks again.

Hi guys, the saga continues. I've changed the control board, unit fired up fine the first few times but now has a seized compressor. Is there any way to dismantle and service the compressor?

Hi guys, the saga continues. I've changed the control board, unit fired up fine the first few times but now has a seized compressor. Is there any way to dismantle and service the compressor?
    Oh No that is not good news, you can not service this compressor so it means a new compressor..

Do those hard start kits have much effect in getting compressors started and prolonging their life?