Waeco freezer cold fridge hot

Hello, this is a 3 year old RPD-190 2 door fridge freezer with a BD50F compressor running on 24 volts in a motorhome. This has been a fantastic fridge up until now. It has worked in 40C+ in Qld and never had to be higher than 3 on the dial (it goes up to 7).

Three weeks ago my wife noticed that the back of the fridge was icing up. The freezer was due for a defrost so that was done however the fridge would continue to ice up every few days.

Three days ago I noticed that the compressor was running constantly. Then yesterday the fridge was on +15C and the freezer was at -21C. I had a timing device so I fitted it to the compressor so it would turn off and on at regular intervals as it would under notmal running conditions.

A service bloke came today and said that the filter drier is most likely blocked and needed to be replaced. However, he also said that it may not fix the problem and the fridge might need to be scrapped. He doesn't like Waeco fridges.

After doing some reading I don't think that it is the problem (not that I would know) When the comp is running the filter drier is hot. While running you can feel the ***** going through the tubing. After it has stopped for a couple of minutes, the filter drier is cold. Is that correct? I thought that if the thing was blocked, you wouldn't feel the gas going through and it wouldn't change temp? He also said that if the capillary tube is blocked then the fridge will have to be replaced.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou.

Re: Waeco freezer cold fridge hot

Yes your service friend is right .Is look like drier block.But is small chances to have capillary tube blocked and by very unlucky man .

Thanks baycuclaudyu, I just wanted someone to give another opinion. So thankyou for taking the time to reply.

Blog Entries

You have blockage but that doesn't mean that fridge should be scraped if capillary is blocked. If capilary is blocked, it is usualy blocked in first few centimeters and it could be cut and brazed again at new (replacement) filter drier.
    Find some competent service guy who will un-braze capilary at fiter drier and blow some nitrogen thru system. That will tell what is blocked, and then, he should change drier and cut capillary for 2-3 cm (for precaution purpose if it is not blocked) and than re-braze it at new dryer.