Shinco Error Codes - E4?

I recently purchased two different Shinco inverter type mini-split air conditioners and have had problems with both of them, each giving an “E4” error code after operating okay for a few days. I cannot determine what the “E4” code means, and the importers GT World cannot, or will not, supply the information. Needless to say I am very frustrated.

First unit purchased was their 2-ton inverter type unit. Great price delivered to my door in Southern California ($1,067). Had a professional install it, vacuumed the lines, etc. and the unit ran great for two-three days. Then one afternoon I looked up and “E4” appeared on the display. The outdoor unit was not operating. Hmmm, so the barely adequate “manual” advises to turn the power off for three minutes, and then turn it back on. This doesn’t work. I reset the remote control unit and still nothing. My technician looks it over, checks the pressures and everything looks fine.

I contacted GT World and they send me two new printed circuit boards for the outdoor unit. I paid $130 for overnight shipping because I wanted to fix it as soon as possible. Installed the boards which went well but they did not correct the fault. I still had the “E4” showing on the display. So I called GT World and arranged to return the unit and get another one, only they were out of 2 ton units and I would have to get a 1 ˝ ton instead.

Luckily the west coast distributor is located only 10 minutes from my work location, so returning it was easy (but I had to pay for my technician to de-install the unit). I picked up the 1 ˝ ton unit and my guys installed it. It worked just fine.

For two days. Then imagine my surprise and frustration when it also displayed the mysterious “E4” fault code!

So the owner of the installation company came out and went through the unit very carefully. He checked the pressures (high and low were okay), the supply voltage (it was fine), the wiring (all connections tight and wired properly) and everything else he could think of. Without the fault codes he was also frustrated at being unable to accurately and specifically identify the problem.

So we’ve settled on the possibility that my drain system might be filling up in the indoor unit and causing the unit to turn itself off. When the unit sits for a while and the water evaporates it will run again until the tray fills, the float switch activates and the outdoor unit is deactivated. It sounded plausible, and I will pursue that avenue of inquiry next. I suppose I will need to disassemble the indoor unit and check for this possibility.

But it would be so much easier if I only had the Shinco Fault Codes. I would then know what the heck “E4” meant and might be in a position to do something about it. As it stands now I feel like a one-legged blind man engaged in an ass-kicking contest.

Anyone have the Shinco fault codes? Or has anyone else had a similar problem with a Shinco mini-split? Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Don
    aka “Orangeroost” because I like to “roost” (throw dirt) on orange KTM dirtbikes.

Re: Shinco Error Codes - E4?

No one has experience with Shinco units??? Perhaps I should dig into the unit, find out the PCB specifics and then go from there. Maybe try to find something for the PCB itself?

All I want to know is what "E4" means? Geezzzz, it shouldn't be this hard. Next time I'll buy American dammit.

Geeezzzzz, no one knows anything about Shinco units? I am at my wits end. The darn thing was not turned on at all and the "E4" appeared sometime in the night (I awoke to find the error code on the display).

Looks like I've paid two-grand including install (of two Shinco units that did the exact same "E4" fault) for nothing but a useless hunk of junk hanging on my wall, that will now cost me even more to remove & dispose of.

I'll never, ever, ever buy Chinese crap air conditioners again. Can't even get the people at GT World to answer and they import and distribute the junk. Guess I'll have to take it back (thank goodness I live close to their western distributor) & if they don't reimburse me 100% I'll dispute using the credit card processes.

This sux big time.

I've never come across "Shinco" units before.....fortunatly.

I've had a quick look on the web and like you can't seem to find anything.

Can you not get a number or email address for Shinco from the distributor and then maybe send them an email??

If not then i think i would be ringing the company and asking them to take it out and refund you the shipping costs for the 2 boards also.

Thats one of the reasons why it is better to go for a more well known brand since you will get the technical backup when things go wrong....
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

You can contact them here:
    http://www.shinco.us/
    Or search their website.

I sent an email to "David Xu" contact person on their website. Hoping for a reply from someone at Shinco. I will post results here if I get an answer. There has to be someone else that has had this problem (their warehouse in Gardena was full of Shincos and the guy said they were selling lots of them) and I hope I can help them avoid the frustration.

Thanks for your reply.

As I sent the email to "David Xu" at the address noted on the Shinco website I noticed that I had already sent him an inquiry on October 2, 2009. He never replied to that October email.

So Monday I'll call GT World. If they can't or won't provide an answer to my satisfaction, I intend to yank the crappy Shinco unit out, return it personally to the Gardena Distributor's location and refuse to leave their facility until they credit me 100% for the defective product I've received and now returned.

I will never buy Chinese appliances again. Ever. It's probably going to cost me $$$ but I've learned my lesson. Even if I have to pay twice the price I will avoid off-brand Chinese junk. It just isn't worth it. If I put a price on my time and frustration it would be thousands and thousands.

Now for one last question - can someone recommend a non-Chinese mini-split in the 1 1/2 ton range? I'd place emphasis on quality, reliability and cost - in that order.

Thanks.

Hi
    Ive experienced E4 fault with a chinese cassette unit,,,,,water pump failure.....i found the drain blocked.
    hope it helps,,,maybe your drain has a too big a trap in it,some units don't like being trapped.
    Regards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeroost View Post

Now for one last question - can someone recommend a non-Chinese mini-split in the 1 1/2 ton range? I'd place emphasis on quality, reliability and cost - in that order.

Thanks.
    Fujitsu, Misubishi, Toshiba, Daikin, Sanyo

FINALLY got a response from GT World; however, this is the same routine that they sent me through on the first 2-ton unit. I wound up replacing BOTH the printed circuit boards in the outside unit and it still did not resolve the "E4" error code. At that point, with the first 2-ton unit, they said I could replace the PCB in the indoor unit but they weren't sure that would fix it.

So I took the 2-ton unit back and exchanged it for the current 1 1/2 ton unit. Now I get the same technical answer (below in italics) and I'm very, very skeptical that this will help. I can see myself replacing both boards again and still not fixing the problem.

GT World's response, does it look reasonable?

E4 is communication error. Your indoor/outdoor units are not communicating. This could be caused by a power failure or a power surge of some kind. A component on one of your PCBs are burnt. It could be as simple as a fuse or an IC.

To diagnose the problem and pin point the defective board please do the
    following;

Take a reading between L4 and S terminals of the outdoor unit. The value
    should be close to 14 Volts and fluctuating(between 14 and 4 volts up and down every fraction of a second).

If the value is changing please tell me what's the maximum and minimum. If
    it is steady what is that value.

If this value is higher than 24 volts the defective component is on the outdoor power board. This board is located on the right side, top section of the outdoor unit.

This board should be removed and sent to us by UPS for repair to the
    following address;

The attached file shows you a step by step instructions of the board

removal;

GT World Machineries
    #15-6475 Boul Des Grandes Prairies
    Saint Leonard Quebec H1P-1A5
    Canada

Upon receipt, we will replace the defective components and send it back to you. On UPS way bill please write spare part for repair/return, value $30.00

If that value is lower than 14 Volts the defective component is on the board inside the indoor unit. We do not repair this board and if necessary, we will send you a replacement.

Thank you

PS - the voltage reading on my 2-ton unit between the L4 and S terminals was 31 volts spiking intermittently up to 45 or so volts. Way out of spec according to GT World.

I am sooooo tired of dealing with this crap. 90+ days and counting and the expensive wall art still doesn't work.

Blog Entries

I would say that you have connecting cable problem! It is probably layed near power cable and induction in it may damage communication IC-s after few days of work.

I will still try to get refund and buy one of unit I recommended earlier, since Chinese crap will cost you much more in the long run.
    Last edited by nike123; 04-01-2010 at 11:45 PM.

I would say that you have connecting cable problem! It is probably layed near power cable and induction in it may damage communication IC-s after few days of work.
    Thanks for the observation. You may be on to something here. When installing both units we used 3/4" Sealtite conduit and made an approximately 18' connector line that contained all four 8 guage wires (insulated ones of course): one continuous wire each for L1, L2, Ground and "S" communication lines. The insulated wires are in very close proximity within the conduit- right next to and touching each other.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that induction from the power wires can "bleed over" into the "S" wire and overload the Integrated Circuits on the PCB, damaging or burning them over a short period of a few days operation?

Wow. To this layman it sounds plausible. A common denominator on both units is the connector line. I'll be talking to another technician today or tomorrow, from a different company than the one I used before, and I'll run it by him.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the observation. You may be on to something here. When installing both units we used 3/4" Sealtite conduit and made an approximately 18' connector line that contained all four 8 guage wires (insulated ones of course): one continuous wire each for L1, L2, Ground and "S" communication lines. The insulated wires are in very close proximity within the conduit- right next to and touching each other.

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that induction from the power wires can "bleed over" into the "S" wire and overload the Integrated Circuits on the PCB, damaging or burning them over a short period of a few days operation?

Wow. To this layman it sounds plausible. A common denominator on both units is the connector line. I'll be talking to another technician today or tomorrow, from a different company than the one I used before, and I'll run it by him.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    No, i did not mean that induction from lines in same cable could do damage to communication IC-s. I was talking that some high power line is near that connection cable, and that induction from that separate power line makes that damage.
    That is said with assumption that construction of PCB-s and selection of communication IC-s is made OK in factory. If that is not the case, you just could have badly designed (copied, much more likely) PCB-s in your units.

And,
    I will still try to get refund and buy one of unit I recommended earlier, since Chinese crap will cost you much more in the long run.

tlman46 Guest

Sorry to hear of your frustration with your Shinco unit. I have a 1-ton split inverter heat pump, bought from GT-World, and it is amazing. SUPER quiet, especially outside; it's a gift to the neighborhood.

I DO get your frustration with tech service and the lack of good documentation (or an installed user base who can share experience, although that may change with time--Shinco is a high-volume manufacturer), but I wouldn't leap to a blanket criticism of the units themselves or of Chinese A/C units generally. There are a LOT of white-label Chinese-made units being sold here by big reputable HVAC companies who label them with their own brand names--the difference is a better level of tech support and service.

I have a service manual for Shinco split A/C units. It's a poor translation from the Chinese, and is specific to my one-ton, but it may be a useful reference for you if you haven't already returned the unit (or for any other readers interested). It does feature diagnostic problem-solving flowcharts. Good luck--if you can fix this hiccup, the unit should please you.

Orangeroost,

First, in your OP you refer to a float switch, implying that it is connected to a drain pump within your indoor unit. You did not say whether the units are wall split or cassette, but I am going to assume they are wall mount. If so I find it highly unlikely that there will be float switches and pumps fitted. ... They may have been added on, but would not have come as part of the package and will not therefore be subject to control by the PCB. If you do have cassettes - ignore the above.

The only other advice I can offer you is that many chinese units use the E4 fault code as an indicator of a failing indoor fan motor. The indoor motor has mains power to it of course, but it will also have a sensor built into the windings of the motor, and the 2 or 3 lead low voltage wiring from this, plugs into the PCB relaying information about the condition of the motor (speed and winding temperature). If the information the PCB receives falls outside the pre-determined parameters, the system will shut down and the error code displayed.... It is not unheard of for new motors to have this fault!

Whilst I cannot say that E4 means 'failing motor' in your case, it is certainly worth checking insofar as the conditions you are experiencing. Typically when a motor fault is present, the system will run normally for a period ranging between 10 minutes and 5 hours before shutting down.

I hope this helps you.

Jason5234 Guest

No one has experience with Shinco units??? Perhaps I should dig into the unit, find out the PCB specifics and then go from there. Maybe try to find something for the PCB itself?

All I want to know is what "E4" means? Geezzzz, it shouldn't be this hard. Next time I'll buy American dammit.
    I've been installing these units for a few years now. They are a bit "finicky" at times but good units none the less. They are great units for the price your are paying. (1/3rd the price of it's competitors similar units!!)

I wouldn't knock them too quickly as they are slowly making their way into the north american market and are constantly improving their products.

Here are the error codes for the person that was looking for them. They are for the 18000 & 24000btu units.

(attached file)
    Attached Files Attached Files

superj7777 Guest

Just wanted to let you all know what solved the E4 error for me. The electrician had the L3 and L4 wires reversed.

Which can easily be done because he ran them both with the same color black wire.

Normally the polarity in any 220V AC device does not matter.

But, on these Shinco units, if the outdoor unit is on PHASE A for L1 and PHASE B for L2, and the indoor unit is on PHASE B FOR L3 and PHASE A FOR L4, this causes there to be an electric potential between the CONTROL wire and L3.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the PDF table of fault codes. If I'd only had that in the beginning I may have been able to work out the problems. As it was, and after four months of frustration, I returned the second Shinco unit and installed a Friedreich 18,000 Btu A/C heat pump unit in its place.

Much higher quality with the Friedreich, even in the shipping box. The manual was well written and complete, including a lengthy trouble shooting section with yep, you guessed it, fault codes. Set up was simple, and the machine worked immediately.

It's been running 24/7 ever since with zero problems. Thanks to all who responded in the thread. Your replies are appreciated.

elstonlf Guest

I purchased 2 Shinco 12,000 btu units. The first one needed a repair to the outdoor control board. The turn around time for the board was one day. The units now works great. The second unit just died with a E4 error code and also a red light on the indoor display. I will call GT today but the above information is very valuable. The bottom line is that I paid $719 each for the units and after my cost for installation and using the tax credit they cost me less than $350 each. I cannot complain.

ustas17 Guest

How does tax credit work? I am about to purchase a unit and was wondering. Thanks a lot in advance.

yvonbou Guest

Got the E4 code . The inverter board was damaged. Got a new board for $150. Works great

why did you have to $150.00

grendog Guest

thanks for the codes, but I just installed a 9,000 btu unit and after one day, it has a F0 error code and a red light. I don't see that on your list.

Shinco tech mike is a dumbass

pzubby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yvonbou View Post
    Got the E4 code . The inverter board was damaged. Got a new board for $150. Works great
    Normally you send the bad board to GT World and they fix and ship it back to you. Did you pay $150 because your unit was out of warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by grendog View Post
    thanks for the codes, but I just installed a 9,000 btu unit and after one day, it has a F0 error code and a red light. I don't see that on your list.
    ***** is low, looks like it may have leaked out by inferior installation

iceniwizard Guest

Unhappy Re: Shinco Error Codes - E4?

thanks for the codes.
    couple days ago I got an E2 code

Coolbrezza Guest

E4 is communication error. Talk to your HVAC installer. Perhaps power wires between the indoor/outdoor are crossed and a fuse on the PCB is fried.

jasenloiselle Guest

I've got a 24,000BTU Shino that has been running for 2 years, summer cooling and Canadian winter heating. Has been great. I'm saving money and living much more comfortably. Got the E4 message with a red light inside just last night. Can't be crossed wires at this point in the game. Must have blown a fuse or board. Guess I'll check the voltage but damn it's cold outside. Any other experiences? Gonna flip the breaker off for a bite and see if it comes back before I head out to investigate.

jasenloiselle Guest

I triped the breaker for an hour and turned it back on. Been fine for a few days now. No more E4 error code. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jasenloiselle View Post
    I triped the breaker for an hour and turned it back on. Been fine for a few days now. No more E4 error code. Fingers crossed.
    I hope it keeps running ok!

Jon
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

No need to be too hard on they people.

I had the same E4 Error Code, I called their technical support toll free, they said as I'm still covered by warranty, they can change the part for me for free. Either Indoor PCB or Outdoor PCB.

Even though they didn't get a conclusion yet, I can feel that they are very nice people and want to help me out.

Nick Steeves Guest

My Harbor Point wall unit just shutdown and wont turn on again. I dont know much about ac units but i cant find any help. The unit itslef was leaking water from the bottom of the unit. I had to put cups under it to catch the water drops coming down. Also it was displaying an F6 error code. I didnt know this meant anything. I just moved into this studio apartment 3 weeks ago and i cant get my landlord to do anything. Any help. And i have a hunch it might be the drainage hose being clogged (this woud explain water dripping back into apartment) how can i unclog hose? and what does F6 mean? and how screwed am i, somehow i think this is gonna be bad and being in FL during summer will suck.

lol. At least you all have error codes.

My Shinco unit is not displaying any errors codes and is not cooling or heating even though for instance the indoor air gets cold for a minute for cooling, it then stops as the compressor shuts down. The outdoor fan does not turn on ever but the compressor turns on and off and you can feel the heat.

Plenty of refrigerant and line pressure aka no leaks. Removing all power for a while does nothing. Leaving the unit on in a continuous broken cycle does nothing. The H values show its working and not working. The indoor unit works just fine.

It worked great for one year.

My guess is either the compressor, fan motor, or pcb has a problem. But since there's no error code, tech support doesn't know what to do.

Future reference for others who buy Shinco units:

Because there are supposed to be error codes for the compressor and also the fan motor, I decided to remove the top and front side from the outdoor unit and disconnect* each item to see if an error code would appear. No error codes appeared.

Disconnecting the back sensor did produce an error code. So error codes are working.

See what tech support thinks about this. I'm now guessing pcb - else there would be error codes or so they say.

*Make sure power is completely turned off to the unit!

back = black. The black sensor. doh!

Been fighting with the techs at shinco twice now with my 12000btu unit. first time took 1.5 months to get the board replaced, got it back and it started acting up from time to time. lasted a few months. Then it took another 2.5 months to get another replacement... all of this under warantee.

If you are considering buying one of these units, DONT, its not worth thee agrivation! they are decently built but the service SUCKS. I am a very patient person and i was ready to make a trip to montreal to visit these idiots in person. I am extremely happy with the performance of the units WHEN they work but for the extra 30-50% save yourself the agrivation and get a good unit.

Now for the part related to this tread. If you are unfortunate enough to have purchased one of these units and you are getting an E4 code be sure to check the jumpers on the outside control board. They told me when they sent the new board out that they actually put each board on a unit and make it run, They are full of crap. The board they delivered to me had the jumpers sized to fit where they were installed, however they had jumpered from L1 to L4 and L2 to L3, their wireing diagram clearly shows L1 to L3 and L2 to L4. once we made this adjustment the unit runs fine. Pisses me off that they straigh out lie to you saying the actually run the boards when clearly they don't as if they did they would have realized that this terminal block was jumpered incorectly!

Easy fix once you know to look for it.

rich1955 Guest

hello tlman46..........service manual ? I have a 18000 heat pump model, worked great till one day the comp. would not come on. coupla months of poor comunication with Shinco finally got a PC board......worked great agian, ran 24/7 for about 4 months. My daughter turned it off today .....now comp will not come on agian. Where and how can I get a flow chart. Shinco tech assistance is one stepp above useless

Off topic - needed removing
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 08-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Quote Originally Posted by afss View Post
    If you are considering buying one of these units, DONT, its not worth thee agrivation
    Ultimately, I concur.

My last unit had a fried pcb. Bought a new one, which didn't work, as from what it appears the indoor unit also had slightly fried electronics. I sent the new one back and they gave a refund.

So on the second unit now. Newest version of the same btu model. And less than one week of use the indoor unit's fan/blower has a problem. I found a way to make it sound normal for the time being but many of the functions will render the unit noisy - too noisy to use and the noise may start again as is.

So either it will be fixable by me of which I hope Shinco has an answer or I stumble onto it myself, send me a new indoor unit, or I will use buyers protection with the credit card company which is good for 90 days.

Since this topic is about the E4 error I will just add that there's also the chance that its not easily fixable or in other words a new electronic board may not fix it.

I've have both not seen errors with a broken unit and have seen an F0 error that could not be easily fixed nor ever found a fix.

I too have a Shinco showing the E4 error code. I am a retired HVAC contractor and in my years of being in the trade-- I have never seen such a pile of crap. There is not contactor and nothing to tell you what could be the problem except that the PCB board MAY be bad. This unit was bought by a friend of mine and asked me to hook it up. Don't know what to tell her except to return it and get her money back.

jasenloiselle Guest

Replaced the 2 outside boards. Cost $200 for parts +$200 for labour. E4 error is still up. Unit does not operate. Been a year now. Do I spent another $400 to replace the 2 inside boards or just give up?