Thread: Newbie

Navyref Guest

Hi People,

I'm just in the process of leaving the Navy and am looking for an entirely different career to go into.

I have completed the Basic Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Course with Techtrain Assosciates Ltd and have obtained the C & G Certificate in Handling Refrigerants and hold the CITB Safe Handling of Refrigerants / Pipework & Brazing Card/Certificate.

I'm looking to gain some experience in this field and need someone to point my in the right direction, can anyone point me help me? I live in Somerset.

Thanks

Re: Newbie

Hi there,

I am also in the Navy and live in the somerset area. This is a career path I also would like to enter but a slightly different way in that I am not leaving for another couple of years yet.

I have done ALOT of digging around with this and would like to offer advice I have had given to me.

Your a bit ahead of me in the respect that youve got certain qualifications that will help you find a placement like this.

Try contacting all and any companys in your area and try and get work with them as an improver/ apprentice. This will help you gain experiance.
    Companies seem to like engineering experiance and an NVQ 2/ 3 in refrigeration.
    Can you go to college?

As for if your qualified to earn a decent salary I am not sure maybe you could tell me when you find out.
    From the sounds of it the industry is only just starting to get back on its feet and will take another year or 2 yet to be what it was.

Hope my tiny bit of advice has helped.

RN
    PONGO offering some advice are you mechanical - electrical, are you looking at commercial , transport refrigeration.
    transport wise try Masons/PSR Refrigeration or michael ward ltd.
    Is shell PO WREN still in the stores

Hi navyref, Dont know if I can offer any help but I left navy 7 years ago after doing same course as you.

The resettlement team pushed the courses with companies like HAL, Ellis etc as they get commision on them.

I did the course and was no further forward as it means nothing to an employer because its not a recognised qualification, I had to take an apprentiship with a local company and a massive pay cut, went to Bath college for 3 years,
    Then changed companies to gain experiance in supermarkets , Not for me but glad of the experiance,

Now working for a nation fm company on good pay ,good hours but still learning every day,

Its a long hard road but worth it in the end, If there is any thing I can do to help just shout,

Good luck and keep us posted mate