Khalaf Guest

Unhappy How can I calculate the cooling per sq/m

I have a Data Center with 20 racks the heat load average is 10kw per rack, floor area in sq/m is 122. how can I calculate the cooling per sq/m.

Re: How can I calculate the cooling per sq/m

Quote Originally Posted by Khalaf View Post
    I have a Data Center with 20 racks the heat load average is 10kw per rack, floor area in sq/m is 122. how can I calculate the cooling per sq/m.
    With the limited information given, I asked my freinds 8 year old daughter, to design for you

20 * 10 = 200kw
    200 / 122 = 1.64Kw per sq/m

then I say add abit for infiltration

High density cooling isn't about sqm. I can't see the connection, would you be kind enough to explain why you need this fairly obvious figure??

Khalaf Guest

Dear Gents:

I did found it, as per (Gartner, 2009) “Examine carefully future data center power rating design points, and expect that you will need to design for a minimum of 125 watts per square foot (and will typically be in the range of 150 watts per square foot to 175 watts per square foot).”

Therefore, 122 sq. meter which is equivalent to 1313.2 sq. ft will require a minimum of (125 power + 125 cooling) x 1313.2 = 328.3 kW and a minimum of ((328.3 / 2) * 3.412 * 1000 /12000) = 50 Tons cooling.

thank you any way specially Mad Fridgie and his freinds 8 year old daughter.

Hello.
    I would aim (and hope it were not oversisement) at 400kW of total ACs cooling power - first, because of the hot climate, second, nets administrators keep incesently adding new equipment.

Again another ridiculous thread. Mad fridgie gave the right on spot cooling capacity requirement. All other posts are a waste of bytes and pure speculation, including Gartner's quotation, which BTW has been quoted wrong. Infact, 50TR are a long shot away from 328kW, and both are wrong.

EDIT: sorry, it wasn't Mad Fridgie's stuff. Credit is given to the friend's little daughter of his.
    Last edited by NoNickName; 21-11-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Wrong credit given

Khalaf, reformulate please your question. Do you have a real problem or just are curious about air conditioning server rooms in general?

Khalaf Guest

Dear Yuri:

I have a real problem and all the factors I got is the Data Center area in sq/m and number of racks.

Thanks

Khalaf Guest

Kindly what other information you need.

Kindly what other information you need.
    Firstly your electrical load is your main cooling load
    Do not add them together
    You need very little fresh air intake (presume limited personel) High sensible load, small latent load.
    Normally enclosed rooms within conditioned space, so external energy infiltration is low.
    I would add 20% to the above calculated load, this should surfice (for budgeting price), if it comes to fruision then it needs to be calculated by a skilled engineer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

For Khalaf from WikiAnswers (for somethinng to start with)

The heat load for, say, an industrial production space is calculated by summing the heat loads of the electrical equipments installed. The environmental and HVAC engineering crew obtains the information directly from the equipment manufacturers. In the case of motors, pumps, ovens, dryers, etc., each manufacturer has the statistics available. They are usually not included with the equipment, but may be obtained from the folks who make the units when more precise and detailed workspaces are being considered or set up. It usually only takes a few phone calls or faxs to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by Yuri B.; 22-11-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Well put Mad fridgie,
    but closed up data banks get all static-y at low RH, I would also allow for re-humidifying as well even with high SHR evaps..

When your oversize you get in to the problem of high humidity, to compensate you will have to add reheat as well as humidifier.

Thus it is better to size the total load in equal modules of condensing unit /air handling units so that the sequenciing can be done to operate necessary units. By this even it is oversized it can act as rdudant till additional loads are added.

Modern methods keep high density servers at a higher temperature and are fully enclosed. No dehum takes place as the water is kept at 16 deg's flow. These water cooled cabinets enable the project to include free cooling and heat recovery. The initial costs are high but long term energy efficiency saving is around 40% compared to the old fashioned way

hey Multisync, can you throw an adress or brand. i want to now more about this.

thnx M8,
    Ice

Hi Multi.
    sounds like you have balanced humidity stabilization covered by/ or with total moisture envelope coverage and control. No fresh air, no human contact, no air balance, and the perfect SHR coil performance, are you re-generating moisture removal. Has anyone broken wind while in side the perfect enclosure, could be detrimental and smelly, OK I am taking the pees.