Dazmiesta Guest

Samsung Cool'n'cool

Hi Guys hope you can help...
    I have a Samsung Cool'n'cool fridge freezer model SL39WJ1/XEU.
    Got it in 2003 and it has been running sweet until now...
    Basically it keeps turning it self on and off and each time there are two beeps.
    Before it started to do this the display would stay on "--". But now it is driving us mad with it's constant bleeping as well as not being able to store anything.
    I've tried a different power point and numerous button pushing but to no avail.
    Any help will be very much appreciated.
    Thank you

Re: Samsung Cool'n'cool

Think on this it's likely to be defrost element failure,the appliance shuts down when there is an element failure.You can start it manualy but does just the same over and over.You will need a meter to check,should read 20kh at 18c ish.

check the thermal fuse 1st as we replace loads of them

Dazmiesta Guest

Thanks for your replies guys.
    Sorry to be a numpty but where would I find the thermal fuse?

It's clipped onto the evaporator in the freezer,take out the panel at the rear of the freezer,unplug first,and the sensor,defrost element and thermal fuse are connected via a multi block to the main cabinet.
    Check all components while you are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by spimps View Post
    Think on this it's likely to be defrost element failure,the appliance shuts down when there is an element failure.You can start it manualy but does just the same over and over.You will need a meter to check,should read 20kh at 18c ish.
    I think the 20 k ohm reading refers to the defrost sensor, not the defrost heater, otherwise it would only be about 3 watts!

Dazmiesta Guest

Well checked the fuse and all seems okay.
    In the end I had to call out an engineer to have a look as I was just getting lost.
    He diagnosed the problem as the defrost heater element. So installed a new one...Fantastic, well the price wasn't the whole thing cost me £143 in the end. But I got a working unit again.
    The engineer had not been gone 10 minutes when the fault reappeared again. Exactly the same... turning it self on and off with the display showing "--".
    called them back and they said...Well we fixed one problem but there must be a secondary one!!!!!!!!
    They come out again, chap was very sharp with my mother ( this unit is not my own it actually belongs to my elderly mother). He had the whole of the freezer apart again but could not find anything wrong. In the end he put it down to a worn dropped fridge door saying that the door switch was not closing fully and therefore turning it self on/off and bleeping. At this point I'd like to say that we taped the switch up so it was completely closed for best part of the day but the fault still occurred.
    His so called repair was to glue a 1 penny piece to the top of the door where the switch makes contact and said try not to stick 6 pint milk bottles on the door then said his goodbyes and was gone.
    Later that evening the unit started bleeping again and displaying "--"....Wonderful, back to square one and light of £143.
    Contacted them again and they said it's probably the circuit board that is gone! This will cost you a further £100 to repair.
    I just don't know what to do now. Cut my loses and buy a new one or take a gamble and let them put a new PCB in!!!

They should only charge if they fix it permanently. Call consumer direct/trading standards.