Refrigeration engineering distance/ online learning?

I am thinking of transferring my engineering skills to refrigeration engineering.
    I am currently serving in the Royal Navy and looking to leave in the next 2 years. Seeing as I am in this job the only way I can get the qualifications required is to do distance/ online learning. Do any of you know of assessor companies who do this for NVQ 2 refrigeration & air conditioning engineering.
    I understand I need practical experiance so I am attempting to try contacting companies about working with them for free on weekends when I am home.

I have been actively searching now for 6 months and havent really found any answers for this. I have seen NVQ 3's though.

Please dont tell me that I am in the best place and I should stay in this job bla bla. I am leaving because I dont enjoy being away 9 months of the year.

Many thanks for you time.

Re: Refrigeration engineering distance/ online learning?

hi staglemon, its good to hear someone with a bit of drive + ambition , working on hvac is a task on its own but 50% of the work is on electrics how are you on that subject?

I am of basic standard when it comes to electrics but this is something I can improve on quickly as I have enough time at present to study it. I can do basic fault finding though.
    How in depth do I need to go?

Sorry for the delay in writing back, its busy at the moment.

City &glids must be choice

What trade are you? LMEM, STOKER? all good trades to be a fridge engineer, i can put you in touch with a couple of guys who have made it in the industry with a RN background, 1 guy is the engineering manager for Carrier Transicold,covering Europe Middle east and Africa he was an LMEM, Stokers and even a steward have made it without too much difficulty...good luck

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Staglemon and welcome to the forum.

I know this link is to an American distant learning site but there is a range of free material available, might be worth a look...

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ad.php?t=21985
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I am an ETME which is basically a stoker I am looking to gain my next rate before I leave so I feel I have acheived in this job first before I try my hand at fridge engineering.

Any and all contacts or advice anyone has will be of loads of help. Already I have learnt something.

With reference to the city and guilds, I have looked on their site and there doesnt appear to be any online/ distance learning for fridges. I have only looked at the NVQ 2 though as I am not sure if my NVQ level 2 in maintenance engineering will be enough to leap frog the NVQ in fridges.

Thanks for the link I will take a look in the next few hours.
    Thanks again everyone for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Staglemon View Post
    I am thinking of transferring my engineering skills to refrigeration engineering.
    I am currently serving in the Royal Navy and looking to leave in the next 2 years. Seeing as I am in this job the only way I can get the qualifications required is to do distance/ online learning. Do any of you know of assessor companies who do this for NVQ 2 refrigeration & air conditioning engineering.
    I understand I need practical experiance so I am attempting to try contacting companies about working with them for free on weekends when I am home.

I have been actively searching now for 6 months and havent really found any answers for this. I have seen NVQ 3's though.

Please dont tell me that I am in the best place and I should stay in this job bla bla. I am leaving because I dont enjoy being away 9 months of the year.

Many thanks for you time.

Hi mate.

Try the grimsby Institute.

They offer E learning for level 2 and 3

http://www.grimsby.ac.uk/Courses/E-learning/

All the best taz.

I am coming to the opinion that I may not be able to gain an NVQ 2 or3 via Online/ distance methods.

I have looked at the links that have been provided and the Grimsby one only has an E-leaning facility so I would still need to go to college. I can understand why as hands on maintenace aids learning alot.

The other 2 links are both American so as a training resources they are great but as a way to gain the qualification it is a no.

Who knows what to do now as it is too risky for me to leave the Navy and go to college whilst working to pay the mortgage!!!

icslearn.co.uk do a Btec in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning but you need certain pre qualifications. You may of course have these already.

It looks like there are 3 different qualifications to be gained via this website.

Which one/s would be the most beneficial to me?

The choices are:

BTEC Advanced Diploma in Refrigeration, Heating and Air Conditioning.

or

BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical principals with Refrigeration, Heating and Air Conditioning.

or

BTEC Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Construction with Refrigeration, Heating and Air Conditioning.

The top two seems the most appropriate but ofcourse I can only take one.

Thanks by the way for the website. At last I may of found something.

I would say the first option , what you learn on it will easily help you pass the F-Gas requirements.

If i took a BTEC in Refrigeration would I then need to take the NVQ2 / 3 as well. I can understand the level 3 maybe becasue it will mean I can work unsupervised but the level 2 as well? Surely not?

If so it's not worth taking it.

onlinecoruse Guest

Accredited Online Degrees|Accredited Online Courses.

Hey
    I know one site that provides list of top online accredited universities you can visit this linkonline-degrees-and-courses-com/ Or distance-learning-college-guide-com/ and enroll yourself in any of college which you seem to be the best.
    Good luck!

dude his post was 1 year old, he either gave up or is a millionaire by now