Catastrophic compressor failure..need info

I am working on assisting a company that suffered a compressor explosion in an ammonia refrigeration system. The reason: liquid ammonia made its way to the compressor. There are a number of compressors used for this system. In order to protect the remaining compressors, I am recommending that they install "traps" or drop legs before each compressor. The company is informing me that these compressors are already protected by the low pressure receiver/accumilator. I need to ask the group if this makes sense. My limited "engineering" understanding of ammonia systems - tells me that every system has to have a low pressure side accumilator - and this vessel(s) are typically located far from the compressors, so how would a low pressure receiver/accumilator be able to protect a compressor from liquid carry over? ANy insights might help me prevent another explosion and save some operators. Thanks in advance.
    Seaturtle.........

Re: Catastrophic compressor failure..need info

hi it appears to me reading your post that the operators involved would be better seeking professional advise elsewhere as you simply cannot offer them what you are presumably being paid to do,i would be pretty sceptical that that you will be able to save another explosion when you state you have limited engineering understanding of a amonia system.I dont mean this reply to sound as if im having a go but when the words such as LIQUID AMONIA,EXSPLOSION AND LIMITED ENGINEERING UNDERSTANING are re-arranged into a sentence i for 1 would be running a mile,