Quote Originally Posted by rbartlett
wow you really are bitter and twisted..besides in order to comply with part P you must be 16th first. then you must be able to test the circuit and issue a certificate

I don't think these 'colleges' exist in reality in all honesty do you??

the 'cozy cartel' is to protect idiots bodging electrical works both at their home and someone else. someone like an old granny who hasn't got a clue and relies upon the man to actually know what he's doing...

now -provided she insists on a part P electrician- she can narrow that risk down to an acceptable level

you scare me..

cheers

richard
I think the college thing was mentioned in the context of demonstrating competence in to Council BCO people for certain types of work, not as part of the 'competent persons' scheme.

You seem to be under the misaprehension that the motivation behind this legislation is safety. In reality it's mainly about squeezing out small businesses in favour of the lobbyists who shouted loudest to ignorant MPs that don't live in the real world.
I have been designing electronic equipment for 20 years. I am entirely competent (in the normal sense of the word) of doing any household wiring tasks, yet according to the people who drafted these rules, I am not competent unless I've paid a fortune to an appropriate body.
Like the vast majority of DIYers, I will completely ignore this legislation.