LucasAdamson Guest

Fridge Thermostat replacement

Hi, I wonder if I can get some help.

I have a dual-compressor FF, a Scandinova FF 6-6853, and the fridge went on the blink and stunk the house out, so I bought the "standard" replacement thermostat that I was told would work in 99% of cases. It certainly looked identical in design, but not brand to the one I removed when replacing. The fridge turned on again, and I thought I was done, but it seems it was no longer regulating, and remained on until the fridge was frozen. I replaced it with another thinking it may be broken, but the same thing happened - no regulation, just constant power on. I am now considering whether to assume that a) I am in that 1%, for whom this thermostat is the wrong type, or b) I wired it wrong - now, I'm no dummy, but it is just possible at a squeeze. I've done a lot of electronics stuff, so I would be surprised if I made such a mistake, but I want to check, to see if anyone has a diagram or photo of a typical thermostat with wire connections, as I doubt they differ much. Certainly I could then see if I have the wrong pins wired up.

Many thanks
    Lucas (and my wife who's going bananas)

LucasAdamson Guest

Re: Fridge Thermostat replacement

Anyone? My wife is going to insist I buy a new fridge, which I can ill afford, if not...

Many thanks,
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by LucasAdamson View Post
    Anyone? My wife is going to insist I buy a new fridge, which I can ill afford, if not...

Many thanks,
    Lucas
    Come on people! this guys paid good money for us to fix his fridge over the internet, no, wait.....

Seriously though, some stats regulate the fridge temp by sensing the evaporator (cooling plate) temperature, others by sensing air temperature.
    Might be worth calling the manufactures and asking if they have a spares dept. Should be sure to get the right part then.

ms

LucasAdamson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Come on people! this guys paid good money for us to fix his fridge over the internet, no, wait.....

Seriously though, some stats regulate the fridge temp by sensing the evaporator (cooling plate) temperature, others by sensing air temperature.
    Might be worth calling the manufactures and asking if they have a spares dept. Should be sure to get the right part then.

ms
    Hehe. OK, perhaps I am trying to steal your hard earned wisdom, but hey, at least you can think of me as a little more enterprising than some of the numb-nuts you guys must meet in your day to day fixings. Balance it out with the call out fee you get when somebody's forgotten to plug their fridge in.

The sensor terminates behind the cooling plate. The sensor on this new one is the same type as the original.

Does anybody have an image of the back of a fridge thermostat with wires connected please?

LucasAdamson Guest

By the way, e-spares say they don't have a spare part in stock and that I'll have to wait a month!!! That suggests it might be an unusual part, I guess.

You'll be lucky to steal any had earned wisdom from me on domestic stuff, i mostly work on commercial/dairy equipment and try to avoid domestics.
    There are about 9 different types of these stats and they all look the same, i usually end up calling a friend of mine who does small stuff.

Did your replacement stat have a wiring diagram with it? can you trace the wires to see where they go?

Hopefully someone who knows will be along shortly.

ms

Fridge Thermostat replacement

my buddy bought a set of replacement ebay hid bulbs off 20 shipped.Is there a good aftermarket high beam bulb worth trying over stock?