kmrn2deep Guest

Carrier/Carlye 6D and copeland cast iron compressor motor stator removal help

Hey ya'll im looking for any info i can get regarding how to safely remove and reinstall motor stators on 06D's and copeland's if they could do it like the 6E series using the single set bolt to lock it in and then it slides right out it would be so much easier . But the others are press fit in but ive heard tell that the only way to do it is to heat the body up and let it expand and pull it out.

Then reinstalling and it help's to chill the stator in a freezer if possible and heat the body back up and ive heard it drops in no problem or you can press it back in also.

But is there an easier way to do this? We were thinking about making a hydraulic ram set up to some how grab the stator still haven't figured that out yet either and pull it out and it would also press it back in kind of like a log splitter. And if we need to heat them what would be better a big rosebud tip to heat the body or maybe build an oven or build a heating coil to wrap around the body?

Any ideas or techniques
    any body else uses
    would be great thanks.

Re: Carrier/Carlye 6D and copeland cast iron compressor motor stator removal help

Hi
    I worked on these decades ago and we machine up an aluminum disc that fitted snuggly into the stator iron coils with out touching the windings/ copper bits.( imagine the profile of a standard diner plate ) Then cut off the sides enough to slip inside and engage stator around the centre bearing area. Set the whole thing up in a hydraulic press, OK with everything else stripped out, started pressing and heating the outer casting with a huge gas torch, They are a press fit arrangement OK so check all settings and position before removal. And the stator slides out a breeze.
    Reverse process when reinstalling re-wound stator, don't damage the new stator on install.
    martin
    Last edited by Magoo; 24-10-2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: additions

kmrn2deep Guest

Re: Carrier/Carlye 6D and copeland cast iron compressor motor stator removal help

Well as of right now after searching some older thread's im getting a tool made like the one Dorin has so i can press it out it should work good if it's right and with a little heat hopefully that should work nice.

But while that's being made im going to try the hang and heat method and see how that work's out. Im gonna keep ya'll posted on the progress soon and post pic's of the whole process as soon as i get every thing together.

kmrn2deep Guest

Well i got my tool made up hopefully i can get me a bigger press set up and a heavy 3 sided box with a hole on the top to set the compressor on so i can try it out if it works out like intended it will also work on coplands. I got a few pics from my cell phone ill try to get some more up soon and maybe some vid's of it in action after i get it all setup. Gonna take some trial and error i figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

kmrn2deep Guest

It works i rigged a small body 06D carlyle up in my 20ton press and managed to press it out no prob im still working on getting the bigger press so i can have a bigger bedplate with a hole in the middle big enough that will let the stator pass threw but at least i know it will work as planned now i got to try it on some copeland's.

rantawi Guest

Please I need with stator removal and the tools needed with Clear photos
    email : rantawi@gmail.com

By using oxy-acyt heat the stator drops out in about minute and same to put it in,ive been using heat method for over 15 years and had no problem with removing and installing motor stators