Thread: Will it work.

Will it work.

Hello all.
    Today I came across a fridge that originally had an R12 system on it. Somebody had converted it using an R134a compressor, but instead of putting R134a in it they used R413a(isceon 49), to charge it. Also they hadn't changed the drier which is bad practice. The question I have is will the refrigerant damage the compressor or react with the oil?

Re: Will it work.

Hi Neil,

Yes it will work. I have come across man fridges with both in. (Not obviously at the same time)

Now i know all the theory's about not putting r134 in a r12 system because of the oil but at the end of the day it does work. A couple of things to consider though.

If you are p'ing about changing the gases/drier/labour *** ect have you considered just replacing the unit on a cost factor.
    Both R134 & R413 are long term replacements for R12 if it keeps an old unit going for a litle while cheaply then why not but obviously let the customer know that the correct gas is now obsolete and can't say for sure how long it will last.

R413/Isceon 49: I was in constant contact with IDS (Isceon distribution services) when they first brought in R49 and i was working for a company that they used to test the gas.

The only major problems we came accross was that are units while running in freezers suffered from oil migration to the evaps when used below 0 and therefore we decided not to use this gas anymore. The amount of Carrier Thunderbird compressors i had to change over that period was taking the p***.

Regards

Raymond.

P.S. My first *** was about the word Labour or Labor if you live across the pond. Why do Americans spell it differently and are there any other English words that the Americans have lost a letter(s) out of.

Hi
    Isceon 49 is a transitional drop in refrigerant to replace R12,
    If the system was cleaned up of residual amounts of mineral oil,followed by drier change and evacuation........there shouldnt be a problem...otherwise it will work ..........short term.

Mark

The main component of Isceon49 is R134a and has a little something added just to allow mineral oil to be carried. Works well in automotive, if you can find an R12 system that doesn't leak these days
    Karl

rbartlett Guest

it has propane running round it brain

to paraphase a famous song

I've used buckets of 49 and 69 and thought they were really good refrigerants..often we would remove 134a and shove 49 back and find the thing working much better -esp freezers..

all the '9's are good drop ins and I would use them in front of anything else...if only to get back to the 'good old days of carrying three bottles..

cheers

richard

49 and 69 both brilliant and expensive drop ins..........Using 49 is like having R12 .............just drop the bleeder in and away you go..............

Use 49 for chill, 69 for freeze
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Hi Abe.

Yes. 49 is great but also good for freezing, not below -18.

69, as a replacement for 502 is not as good. There is no good TEV so the closest one is 404 TAV but also the 502 TEV will do.
    Got a few old stock if you need any

Chemi

Quote Originally Posted by rdocwra
    P.S. My first *** was about the word Labour or Labor if you live across the pond. Why do Americans spell it differently and are there any other English words that the Americans have lost a letter(s) out of.
    Is it perhaps Americans have made more efficient use of the English language?
    Prof Sporlan

Yes Prof.

You defiantly have a higher COP over there.

Chemi

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFiddy
    Hi
    Isceon 49 is a transitional drop in refrigerant to replace R12,
    If the system was cleaned up of residual amounts of mineral oil,followed by drier change and evacuation........there shouldnt be a problem...otherwise it will work ..........short term.

Mark
    That will teach me,not to post after several pints of lager..

(Purely for medicinal purposes )

I am confused either i misread ques or others did it has a 134a comp in it therefore it now has synthetic oil y use blends to regas? 134a much cheaper. it will work fine but i question the economics of doing it this way.

Hi coolkev.

R-134a will not work for a long time with synthetic oil.
    It should work with POE.

Chemi

rick Guest

Question Re: Will it work.

POE is synthetic oil isn't it?At least that's what the container in my truck say's on it.

EMKARATE
    Synthetic Polyolester
    Refrigeration Lubricant.

Sorry Rick,
    You are right, I ment mineral oil.

Chemi

Thumbs up Re: Will it work.

Thanks all for your replies.
    The reason I was questioning it because the "engineer" told the customer that it was going to cost him, because he had to order the compressor for the job from Italy (even though it had a HRP warranty sticker on it).

But the reason he brought the cabinet in was because it had been condemed due to a historical leak. The cabinet was a Carpigiani Poker Bar which had a faulty presure switch and wasn't bringing the comp in, but even using a UV dye pack I could not trace the leak.

But I understand why they used R413a instead of R134a because the system uses a cap tube not an TEV, so using an R12 drop in, meant no change in the capillarys length.
    Also isceon 49 is mainly made up of R134a anyway....

Neil