ravensrayne Guest

Total Rebuild! Anyone up for a challange?

Ok guys, I have a big one for ya. I am rebuilding a 1953 Vendo Coca-Cola machine refrigeration system and have bought a compressor from grainger, item number 4mg93 . This one is a 1007BTU and the one I removed was a 1075

I am going to reuse the original evaporator and condenser as they are as much a part of the old machine as anything else, but the cap tube and the return line are going to both need replacement due to being brittle from vibration hardening and the machine sitting in the weather for who knows how long.

Here are my questions (please help if you can)

1. Since I am switching the system from R-12 to 134A, the capillary tube length and internal diameter go out the window. So, how long and what internal diameter Cap tube do I need to use for the rebuild?

2. I have 1/4"OD 3/16" ID refrigeration tubing in my shop I could use for the return line, but the original was about 5/16" OD and 7/32" ID. How much difference will this make in the operation if any? If its a big deal, I have to go to Johnstone to get the cap tube anyway and can get the same size as original.

3. How in the world do they get the cap tube soldered to the side of the return line and make it look so good? <<< more rhetorical, but if you know please share!

4. The compressor came with a "supply bag" that looked like a generic "throw in the box" kit that included a run capacitor. the instruction/specification sheet that came with it is about as vague as I have ever seen. There are two wiring diagrams and one shows the compressor with the cap, and one shows it without it. The drawing with it is listed as RSCR, and the one without it is listed as RSIR. How do I know which application to use??

5. On the bottom side of the evaporator, just before a 90 degree bend leading up into it, the cap tube ends into what looks like a small in-line dryer about 2 1/2" long by about 3/4" round. Is this an old filter I need to remove or is it an expansion chamber of sorts? It just looks suspect.

Thanks in advance for any help, Tracy

Blog Entries

Re: Total Rebuild! Anyone up for a challange?

Quote Originally Posted by ravensrayne View Post
    Ok guys, I have a big one for ya. I am rebuilding a 1953 Vendo Coca-Cola machine refrigeration system and have bought a compressor from grainger, item number 4mg93 . This one is a 1007BTU and the one I removed was a 1075
    Is that compressor Matsus h i t a
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go!&Que ryString=4mg93&submit.x=46&submit.y=6

If yes, than that compressor is for LBP aplication and your Coca_Cola machine is MBP.
    Also that capacity (1007 BTU) is listed for -10°F evaporation and 130°F condensation temperature.
    Your condition is 20°F and not -10°F. That mean that replacement compressor is too big and not suitable for that machine.

You should use Danfoss FF6GK
    or other equivalent compressor.

What is old compressor make and model#? Or what is listed conditions for your capacity?

Last edited by nike123; 11-10-2009 at 11:31 AM.

ravensrayne Guest

Ok, I have gotten the correct compressor now. Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated. it looks as though you have a Vendo model as well. Is it a 39? I cant really tell from the tag. Heres a pic of mine. Can you help with any of my other questions? Thanks again in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensrayne View Post
    Ok, I have gotten the correct compressor now. Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated. it looks as though you have a Vendo model as well. Is it a 39? I cant really tell from the tag. Heres a pic of mine. Can you help with any of my other questions? Thanks again in advance.
    I don't have any Vendo machine, i found that picture on some Internet site.
    For questions, just shout them. If I cannot help, there is plenty of others who could.